997.2 Black Edition - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:39 AM
Ellale01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Black Edition - opinions please

All,

have a option on a 997.2 Black Edition. 6sp Manual, Coupe. Limited options over and above the std. package. has sports Chrono, the Basalt Black paint rather than flat, and sports steering wheel with controls.

Has just under 12k miles, still under Porsche CPO warranty till May 2019. Asking is $55k. Seems reasonable.

Would you expect further depreciation at this price? I read that from the 1911 made, about only 30% came to US and I’m guessing half of those would be Cabs, and at least half PDK. So a 6 speed coupe with such low miles is probably a pretty decent find.

Thoughts?

Old 11-03-2018, 02:43 AM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the most important thing is you like the car and you think the price is something you are willing to pay in line with current market conditions. I would not buy a car like this for collectible purposes but personal preference. Porsche takes the "baseball card" approach to making cars. They make all sorts of various sub models to get people to buy thinking that they will become valuable collectibles. Its like how sports cards work. Will I buy a pack with a valuable card in it or a card that will become valuable? Don't know? Ok just keep buying cards and keep them in the attic until mom throws them in the trash.

I would like to think that my 2012 911 GTS will be a collectible for the following reasons: x51 powerkit, wide body rear wheel drive cars usually demand a premium, one of last 911s where you can see the engine, last year 997.2, non-turbo engine, far fewer 997.2 made than 997.1 due to pesky global financial crisis, sport suspension and LSD (not too many takers), etc. But on the other hand they made over 2600 world wide and its just my wishful thinking. I would like to think the car only has another $7K in depreciation to go provided the car is maintained in pristine condition, but you never know. You can slice and dice and rationalize all you want to justify your purchase, but don't expect this car to be a top notch collectible...its not a sub 100 car production run with proven race history driven by a famous driver and signed by stirling moss just because he happened to be standing next to it. If you are lucky, maybe a well regarded dentist drove the car before you.

If you like it just buy it and enjoy it. If you don't lose money on it consider it a bonus, but there are still carrying costs. If you look at a classic mustang cobra for example, some poor bastard had to pay registration, upkeep, storage, full restoration, and look at it for the past 50 years in order to get the $400K at auction and still have to pay 28% capital gain tax on collectible. The gavel price never tells the whole story.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Black Edition is a marketing / option package. If you like the car and are OK with the price, a low mileage 2012 997.2 manual with some warranty is a great car and will hold it's value as well or maybe a little better than a similar 2012 997.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellale01
All,

have a option on a 997.2 Black Edition. 6sp Manual, Coupe. Limited options over and above the std. package. has sports Chrono, the Basalt Black paint rather than flat, and sports steering wheel with controls.

Has just under 12k miles, still under Porsche CPO warranty till May 2019. Asking is $55k. Seems reasonable.

Would you expect further depreciation at this price? I read that from the 1911 made, about only 30% came to US and I’m guessing half of those would be Cabs, and at least half PDK. So a 6 speed coupe with such low miles is probably a pretty decent find.

Thoughts?

Subjective and speculative but yes, I think there's a fair amount of depreciation left on the price of that car. Can't remember the exact details of the black edition but what I do remember is that none of the extras were performance related. So isn't it essentially a base Carrera with turbo wheels, Bose, navigation, black calipers and some "Black Edition" plaques plastered here and there?

The models that hold their value the best are the ones that are built in limited numbers and aren't easily or inexpensively duplicated. That's why I'm skeptical about the black edition ending up as some kind of collectible that won't depreciate in line with or close to a regular base. How much would it take to convert a regular black base 997.2 to a black edition? Especially if it already had Bose and nav from the factory.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

agreed completely.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Subjective and speculative but yes, I think there's a fair amount of depreciation left on the price of that car. Can't remember the exact details of the black edition but what I do remember is that none of the extras were performance related. So isn't it essentially a base Carrera with turbo wheels, Bose, navigation, black calipers and some "Black Edition" plaques plastered here and there?

The models that hold their value the best are the ones that are built in limited numbers and aren't easily or inexpensively duplicated. That's why I'm skeptical about the black edition ending up as some kind of collectible that won't depreciate in line with or close to a regular base. How much would it take to convert a regular black base 997.2 to a black edition? Especially if it already had Bose and nav from the factory.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Ellale01
Advanced

Thanks all.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Everything is a "collectible" if you are willing to wait for somebody to pay what you think it's worth. But, it could be a real long wait.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Ellale01
Advanced

Decided to pass on the car. Looked nice and wasn’t as worried about the collectibility, as much as whether it was priced right. Felt like 55k was over market.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:38 AM
RGO4
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ellale01
Decided to pass on the car. Looked nice and wasn’t as worried about the collectibility, as much as whether it was priced right. Felt like 55k was over market.
The one I am looking at is bit overpriced at 52k but that’s when the negotiation fun begins!

Quick Reply: 997.2 Black Edition - opinions please