Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   How Expensive is This Sound? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1107705-how-expensive-is-this-sound.html)

Cramp 10-25-2018 09:27 PM

How Expensive is This Sound?

I've been developing this squeak over the last couple of months. It's now intolerable. It only happens with steering input, moving slowly or stationary (that I can hear) and predominately when turning left. I'm going to take it to be looked at as I couldn't find any obvious issues when I was swapping my winter wheel/tires on. However, I admittedly wouldn't even know what to look for.

'06, C4S, 56k miles - Video Here

I'd like any thoughts or ideas on the problem and potential treatment. Thanks!

Bash Hat 10-25-2018 09:50 PM

Pull the cap off the power steering reservoir and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times. May have air in the system. Might be a freebie.

captainbaker 10-25-2018 11:02 PM

I had a sound like that once. Cost me $4200 bucks, but boy was that stereo kickin!

You need a friend to help in a garage out of the wind. It sounds like metal on metal....something like a shot of WD40 would cure. Check under the dash as well.

semicycler 10-26-2018 06:45 AM

My similar sound turned out to be a tie rod end monoball. But to get it to squeak like the video required turning the wheel maybe double the distance. Repair costs were reasonable, required an alignment. Steering rack also comes to mind but I doubt that's your problem. That repair cost would be much more.

Steering repairs almost always mean an alignment is needed afterwards. Suspension work is definitely an advanced DIY job. If you have never popped a ball joint out of a wheel carrier, take this in for a pro to diagnose at a minimum since you need a pro for the alignment afterwards (yes you could DIY string align but that's even more advanced DIY than swapping tie rod ends). And don't be afraid to use aftermarket parts like TRW tie rod ends or LCA's. They are identical to the OEM parts without the Porsche tax - TRW is an OEM supplier.

Cramp 10-26-2018 08:35 AM

All super helpful as always - thank you.

Ill try try the power steering reservoir and keep my fingers crossed. I agree with the metal on metal sound though and did a round of WD-40 anywhere it seemed appropriate.

I appreciate the recommendations on the steering/suspension components and their difficulty to DIY. Absolutely prepared to bring her in to a pro.

I really am glad to hear about those parts though - you never know what you’re getting into but I’m all about not buying OEM when there are good and sometimes better alternatives out there. If they’re less money than I’m all about that too.

Petza914 10-26-2018 09:32 AM

I would go under the car and follow the steering shaft down to where there's a Universal joint. It sounds like babe at a junction like that its loose and causing the squeak. Some oil on that joint might do it.

Another thing to check is the front swaybar bushings as unlikely as that sounds. If it was more turning of the wheel to cause the squeak, that might be more likely, but might take a look anyway.

bmwfan328 10-26-2018 11:48 AM

is the noise definitely coming from the underside/outside of the vehicle, and not inside? if inside, i'd bet on clockspring in steering column.

If exterior, check strut top mounts/bearings.

captainbaker 10-26-2018 02:12 PM

Wait, I just re read your original post. You mentioned a tire/wheel change. A different diameter/camber/shape can change geometry obviously. Car is fine with summer wheels but when you swap over to winter wheels, it pushes-pulls something into squeek territory. Yea, enlist a buddy and you will find it quick.

Cramp 03-13-2019 08:24 AM

Long delayed update: some grease applied to the joints in the intermediate steering shaft solved the issue. However, after about two weeks it came back.

It it seems like something of that nature should not wear out or become bad but is replacing that piece the way to go? That’s the mechanic’s recommendation.

Porsche part is nearly $400. Alternatively, I’ve found used parts for $50. Anybody’s two cents are appreciated.

malahhaor 03-14-2019 11:36 PM

Had same on mine (identical), needed a new steering rack. good thing for warranty.

jll1011 03-15-2019 03:26 PM

I had a similar sound coming from my MB. Was a 60 cent washer and $600 in labor!

user 72902 03-15-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by jll1011 (Post 15706152)
I had a similar sound coming from my MB. Was a 60 cent washer and $600 in labor!

That has to be a record for parts to labor ratio! Sorry that you won.

jll1011 03-15-2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jkw911 (Post 15706255)
That has to be a record for parts to labor ratio! Sorry that you won.

Get this.. its even crazier. My warranty had just expired at midnight the day before i brought it in. I just couldn't get there due to business travel (you gotta make a living). The agreed to cover the repair. A really good MB dealer.

user 72902 03-15-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jll1011 (Post 15706261)
Get this.. its even crazier. My warranty had just expired at midnight the day before i brought it in. I just couldn't get there due to business travel (you gotta make a living). The agreed to cover the repair. A really good MB dealer.

That is crazy but good for you. That's one for our team! I drove an SLK for 15 years and it was a beast and when I went to replace it in 2016 my wife says she wants me to get a German sedan as the daily beater when I said I wanted a PDK Cayman. She didn't like the Panamera and a happy wife ......... So my P dealer had a sister Audi shop sharing the same facility and I buy a diesel A3 two days before the VW emission thing blows up. I don't like front wheel drive but I figure I'll put up with if for 50+ miles a gallon. To make a long story longer the A3 experience was worse than I had imagined and I replaced it with a C300 4 matic. Awesome that they took care of you when they didn't have to do so.