Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my car not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:23 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

If you want to sell the car put it on Autotrader and see what happens. Rennlist, 6speed, Pelican Pars, etc. are all Porsche fan sites and the users know what they want, what they want to spend, etc. Most people don't buy cars on forums and most likely never heard of them to begin with. I have advertised many cars on these forums (and others) and even have 1 for sale right now. Truth is, I never sold one car to a forum member EVER. No matter the car, no matter the price, no matter what I was always nickle and dimed and told my car was worth thousands less than advertised. To the point, I sold my 2007 997 TT with 18k miles last month. Was on the forums for 3 weeks with the only interest being that my price was too high. After the second week on the forums I put it on Autotrader and sold it in 6 days right under my asking price. The buyer never heard of the forums, loved the car and had it checked it at the shop of his choice. Deal done.

You can debate this til you are blue in the face but if you want to sell it go to a place that 95% of the buyers go.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:06 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

I'd have to disagree - RL has lots of good buyers, car just has to be priced correctly and solid as far as servicing and condition - I've sold 5 of my P-cars on RL over the past 8 years
Of course when I shop/hunt for a P-car I always have resale in mind - That's why I would never buy a 997 with more than 80K miles so I can enjoy for the 5-8K miles I will use it and then when ready to sell it is far enough way from 100K miles to attract a good solid buyer. I only use my car sparingly for dinners out with wife or Sunday driving.
My current 07 997 has 76K miles - When I plan to sell early next year it will have under 80K.

For those that use as daily driver or put lots of miles on P-car I would always suggest figuring out the miles you will drive during ownership and buy accordingly so car is far away from 100K mile mark. Cars in the mid-80K mile range still hold value nicely.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
85% of current 911 production has the PDK. The 7 speed manual transmission is a modified PDK. Do some research before you post.
Wow, that really shocking, but I guess it shouldn’t be? I mean Porsche didn’t offer a manual with one of its high end GT cars, so that’s got to tell us that demand was there for PDK. Yet, they went back and offered a manual later on for what must be a limited 15-20%. That says a lot about Porsche to go back and put a stick shift in to satisfy 1/5th of its buyers.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Having been RL member for 12 years, I would have to say/guess RL membership is made up of:
70% Enthisiasts/owners
30% Those who want to buy Porsche/Thinking of buying/Lurking
Sounds about right although a lot of those who are looking to buy come from other high performance cars and seem very knowledgeable so I would probably up the 70% enthusiast number a bit. But unless I misunderstood, I read shekmark's question as to how many of the total owners of Porsches post or read Rennlist. I don't have the faintest idea but If I was forced to guess I'd say less than 10%. Maybe even less than 5%.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:39 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

^^^Porsche owners who are RL members I would also guess about 5%
Old 10-24-2018, 08:37 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sounds about right although a lot of those who are looking to buy come from other high performance cars and seem very knowledgeable so I would probably up the 70% enthusiast number a bit. But unless I misunderstood, I read shekmark's question as to how many of the total owners of Porsches post or read Rennlist. I don't have the faintest idea but If I was forced to guess I'd say less than 10%. Maybe even less than 5%.
Sandwedge...you are correct, thank you. That was what I meant. When I first started on this forum, it took me a while to realize that most Porsche owners probably could care less about what is talked about here. I was wondering , also, what % of P-cars are leased. I am betting a higher percent than are purchased.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:29 PM
aj1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manuals matter,, at least to me

in my opinion this video sure explains for me why a manual matters,

milage also matters in my opinion as these cars age maintenance records will be vital to quantify your asking price without how does buyer verify without ppi
I've seen and driven cars with binder full of records and those have been fine examples. with older cars higher maintence is put onto the buyer and price of the vehicle should reflect this. Unfortunately even sitting can be very rough on vehicles.

as far as sales price, Time is the big factor, when do you need or want to sell by will usually dictate the selling price, also time is ticking away as the vehicle is aging quicker
the other thing is who is the buyer of these cars, demographics is changing demand changes

just noticed in the new vehicle for sale area there is no search option for a manual or automatic, but you can pick a 2 cylinder motor though

good luck with your sale

where is the poll for manual vs auto also
Old 10-24-2018, 10:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aj1

in my opinion this video sure explains for me why a manual matters,

milage also matters in my opinion as these cars age maintenance records will be vital to quantify your asking price without how does buyer verify without ppi
I've seen and driven cars with binder full of records and those have been fine examples. with older cars higher maintence is put onto the buyer and price of the vehicle should reflect this. Unfortunately even sitting can be very rough on vehicles.

as far as sales price, Time is the big factor, when do you need or want to sell by will usually dictate the selling price, also time is ticking away as the vehicle is aging quicker
the other thing is who is the buyer of these cars, demographics is changing demand changes

just noticed in the new vehicle for sale area there is no search option for a manual or automatic, but you can pick a 2 cylinder motor though

good luck with your sale

where is the poll for manual vs auto also
Poll is in 997 Forum ----> https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...000-miles.html ***You can vote on manual or automatic as part of poll -->Current voting 57M 7AT
Old 10-25-2018, 01:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shekmark
Sandwedge...you are correct, thank you. That was what I meant. When I first started on this forum, it took me a while to realize that most Porsche owners probably could care less about what is talked about here. I was wondering , also, what % of P-cars are leased. I am betting a higher percent than are purchased.
I bet you're right. Seems to apply to a lot of brands these days. I have no idea what it costs to lease a Carrera but I'm amazed to see the lease prices for some smaller and cheaper cars. Especially some of the Japanese variants on the lower rung which can be had for just over $100/month. Haven't read the fine print but still....
Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

^ New Porsches lease horribly. My GT3, however is leased (structured as a lease-to-own) and I'll also lease my incoming RS (again, as a lease-to-own).
Old 10-25-2018, 01:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by WantA997
^ New Porsches lease horribly. My GT3, however is leased (structured as a lease-to-own) and I'll also lease my incoming RS (again, as a lease-to-own).
Is there a way out of this lease to own arrangement that won't bankrupt you if anything unforeseen should happen in your life?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:34 AM
rap
Racer

Guys lease cars for track use. I just bought a 2009 Targa 4s with 86,000 miles on it. Took me about two months of scouring auto sites to find it. I didn’t look on RL because there seemed to be more examples on other sites. Looked nationwide. Only looked for Pdk.I already own two manual Porsche’s and intended to make this purchase a daily driver. I was unable to get a ppi, service records were spotty and the car had been sideswiped. Going against all of the smart and logical advice that is readily offered on how not to buy a car I purchased it. It took 10 hours to drive home. Took it to the local Porsche dealership and had a full going over done. Fortunately the car was fine. I’m not suggesting that this is a good way to purchase a used Porsche but sometimes taking a flyer on a car can pan out. If you don’t have a financial need to sell be patient. Buyers are out there.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:17 PM
hollywoodikr
4th Gear

Default Mileage

Originally Posted by 911-997
Hey rennlisters,

I am looking for some feedback on why my car that I posted for sale few months ago not selling or getting serious inquires? Other than the high mileage, car is really clean with not a single problem and even got recntly a PPI report with flying colors. I understand that PDK is not the cup of tea for everyone. I bought the car A LOT more than what I am selling it for 1 year ago. I am not sure if I am overpricing the car? I am thinking next step to go get appraisal form Carmax and few dealers in area.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...997-2-pdk.html

Thanks in advance
There's only two reasons why I didn't buy your vehicle. The first is that I didn't know about it LOL, but more seriously is that I didn't have $30,000 cash so I required some sort of financing and one of the few rules that they had was the vehicle had to have under a hundred thousand miles maybe this is the problem of others are having.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 PM
shekmark
Pro

Originally Posted by WantA997
I have not heard of this. Would you mind explaining how this works? Typically, there is a predetermined buyout price in a lease contract. At the end of the lease you can buy the vehicle, at currant interest rates, for that price. Is " lease to own " different? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:24 PM
shekmark
Pro

Current. I try to remember to proof read before hitting send. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Why is my car not selling?