Why is my car not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:29 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Why is my car not selling?

Hey rennlisters,

I am looking for some feedback on why my car that I posted for sale few months ago not selling or getting serious inquires? Other than the high mileage, car is really clean with not a single problem and even got recntly a PPI report with flying colors. I understand that PDK is not the cup of tea for everyone. I bought the car A LOT more than what I am selling it for 1 year ago. I am not sure if I am overpricing the car? I am thinking next step to go get appraisal form Carmax and few dealers in area.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 911-997; 12-03-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:57 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to make the new reduced price more prominently placed; at the beginning of the ad perhaps.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 AM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with the poster above. At $30K your car looks like a deal. Make sure that is what comes across as the asking price in your ad. It took me two reads to realize you’d come down from $35K, which in my opinion is a touch too high for the mileage.

The other issue is the PDK. As yoo move “down market” in price, I suspect a manual becomes more important to buyers. I know that when I was in the market for an entry level 997.2, I had to have a manual. However, browsing the 997 forum suggests those looking for higher spec cars (4S, GTS, etc.) are much more open to PDK. Still, shouldn’t be that big an issue. Looks like a great car at a good price.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:16 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

High miles + Automatic transmission = Low interest - Most banks or credit unions won't finance cars w/over 100K miles

The schooled Porsche buyer wants a car he can drive and then sell with less than 90K miles so he can re-coupe most of his investment
I wouldn't pay more than $26-$27K for your car and that's probably the market value if you want to sell it
Old 10-17-2018, 02:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
Hey rennlisters,

I am looking for some feedback on why my car that I posted for sale few months ago not selling or getting serious inquires? Other than the high mileage, car is really clean with not a single problem and even got recntly a PPI report with flying colors. I understand that PDK is not the cup of tea for everyone. I bought the car A LOT more than what I am selling it for 1 year ago. I am not sure if I am overpricing the car? I am thinking next step to go get appraisal form Carmax and few dealers in area.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...997-2-pdk.html

Thanks in advance
Just my 2c but the PDK is a non-issue here. Porsche never shares any statistics on anything but I've seen estimates that at least 80% of all 997.2's sold were PDK cars so it sure seems to be the preferred transmission since it was introduced. Prior to the PDK those numbers were almost the exact opposite with about 80% manuals and 20% or less with TIP. I agree with those who point to the mileage/financing as the culprit. People shopping for Porsches in the $30K range are obviously on a budget and probably don't have $30K sitting around in a bank account. Car looks really clean and with some patience it will sell at $30K. If it was mine I wouldn't include a $3,400 Tubi exhaust at that price.

Edit: Just came across this summary of 997.2 coupe's sold since 2010. The red stack for each year represents cars sold with manual transmission. The blue, total 997.2 coupe cars sold. So the difference between red and blue represents 997.2's sold with PDK. Low interest? The total numbers for each year look very low so I don't know how accurate this is but it does reflect what I've seen so far with respect to manual vs. PDK.

Last edited by sandwedge; 10-17-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

If your car is not selling the price is high.

If you want to sell it quickly lower the price once a week.

If not wait for the right buyer, three months is long enough.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I really have no idea, but at 30K I would be all over it.

Do you have the original steering wheel and exhaust? Maybe put those on.

Did you list it on eBay, Craigslist, auto trader, etc?

FWIW, KBB value was $28,000
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Looks like a nice car for a good price. Are you only advertising on rennlist? If so, that is your problem. Very small audience. Post it in cars.com or cargurus. Also you should list all your options. PDK is not your problem. Also I agree with previous poster about the reduced price. It is easy to overlook with that 35k price up top. Last thing. This sentence doesn't really make sense to me and should be deleted: "You can tell by condition of the car for its mileage."
Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

Looks like a nice car. The year and mileage will eliminate most traditional financing sources on it, which will drastically reduce your pool of buyers as $30k is a rather expensive "cash car" for most people. If I were you, I would figure out which lending institutes will finance the car so that you can recommend them to those that show interest. I would also remove the "only contact me if you're serious" parts of your post as someone can become serious quickly once they find out certain details on a vehicle and that line paints you as a rather cold seller or a possible jerk. Speaking of details, posting the original build sheet wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,168 Likes on 3,932 Posts

An 09 997 2 with PDK for under $35,000 is a great price. Honestly, I would close the current For Sale thread and start a new one to eliminate your posts in the ad where you say serious buyers only and to get your financing lined up before contacting me, as they leave a bad impression. In the new ad, just say relisted due to previous buyer not being able to secure financing to complete the sale, and leave it at that.

Next, subscribe to the 997 forum for a daily update of all the new posts. Every single day there is a new post by someone looking to buy their first 911 asking for advice. Reply in these posts that yours is for sale and include the link to your for sale ad.

Lastly, raise the asking price to $39,000 or $42,000 and be willing to take what you originally wanted in the ad of less than $35. One of the problems is buyers may not believe the ad is legit because of the under $35k asking price for a 997.2.

When it sells in the high $30s I only want half the difference for my consulting fee and you keep the other half 😉
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is so much talk of a manual trans being more sought after on these cars ( on Rennlist at least), but KBB and other sites have the PDK cars at 3K dollars higher for both trade and private sale! For the heck of it I had Auto Lenders give me a buy estimate on my 911 last week. They came out, looked it over. Looked for comps ( which there are few) , and offered me 39K. Are you kidding! I have my car on Rennlist for $51,900 based on what everyone says here. I think your car is very nice and a good value at 30K, but Steve911 is right on the money, I think. Financing could be tough so they will use home equity loans or similar instead of traditional car loans. Maybe lower to 32K and keep at it. Nice car!.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:44 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

$30K is good, it will sell
Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree with the "Reduced Price" isn't showing up in the body of the ad.

I would adjust the ad so the reduced price is more visible.

I'm going to be honest with you, I personally think the reason it's not selling is the timing - heading into the winter, I'm thinking about putting my car into storage and throwing snow tires on my daily. Not too many people are thinking about buying a sports car this time of the year (the smart ones are since they might get a deal).

I think you need to be patient. The mileage is high but it's a 997.2 with no IMS worries - it will sell but it will take time.

Good luck
Old 10-17-2018, 01:13 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with all the above. Timing/location is your biggest issue. Winter is on your doorstep and sports cars always dip in price during the cold months in northern climates. Cargurus and Ebay is the best exposure for the buck. I would put it up on both with your pics, description and put up a picture of the PPI as well. IMHO $30k is a fair price and be prepared to adjust depending on the response.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Agree with all the above. Timing/location is your biggest issue. Winter is on your doorstep and sports cars always dip in price during the cold months in northern climates. Cargurus and Ebay is the best exposure for the buck. I would put it up on both with your pics, description and put up a picture of the PPI as well. IMHO $30k is a fair price and be prepared to adjust depending on the response.
^^ This. And high end cars just take a long time to sell for a good sellers price. Show $30k immediately (up front like everyone else said), or make the price $29,700 (I’m not a fan of round numbers).

Quick Reply: Why is my car not selling?