Why is my car not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by rap
Guys lease cars for track use.
I get the benefit of this. Lease it, abuse it and then return a beat up car to the dealer when the lease is up. But why do a lease to own on a dedicated track car instead of a clean lease? All I can think is that there's a disclaimer prohibiting track use on a regular lease. Something like...."you can lease it but you can't track it. If you do, the lease is null and void and converted to a purchase contract. If you still want to lease, track it and trash it all you want, you can do that but when the lease is up, you're not returning it to us. You're buying it." Not sure what the benefits are with this vs. a regular purchase but I'm guessing it's tax related.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:39 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Evey lease is the same. There is a residual value at the end of a lease and you either pay the residual or return the car. If you know you want to buy out the car in the end you might up the monthly lease payment to reduce the residual. Its pretty basic.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Evey lease is the same. There is a residual value at the end of a lease and you either pay the residual or return the car. If you know you want to buy out the car in the end you might up the monthly lease payment to reduce the residual. Its pretty basic.
That's what I always thought. At the end of the lease, pay the residual or return the car to the dealer. But based on this from WantA997 it doesn't sound like they're all the same:
Originally Posted by WantA997 ^ New Porsches lease horribly. My GT3, however is leased (structured as a lease-to-own) and I'll also lease my incoming RS (again, as a lease-to-own).
As I read it, he's making a distinction between a regular lease and a lease "structured as a lease-to-own" so it appears to be some differences between the two.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I’ve never seen a lease to own structure that I liked. Other than a property mortgage (bank loan) of course, since the bank owns the property until it’s paid off.

Quick Reply: Why is my car not selling?