Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first 997.1 base v S etc...

Old 10-15-2018, 07:59 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first 997.1 base v S etc...

I am looking to add a 911 to my garage. Our daily drivers are a M4 cab and Macan S.
I have for as long as I can remember, loved the 911 and before we had kids, I had a 911 2.7
I had overlooked the 997 for a while, as a bit too old and crude, but now, I miss that !

So after careful research, I had decided on a low milage 911s - I wanted the power, PASM and the bigger brakes. However, the cost is about $75k USD over here in Australia.
For that you get a 2007 S, with sunroof Bose and memory seats. It's only got 24k miles.
For about $55k AUD, I can get a 2005 60k miles base, but in seal grey (Love that colour), with PASM, sunroof, heated seats, sports seats and sports chrono. - everything I want, except for park assist. I can add bigger brakes and sports exhaust.

I was really concerned about the IMS issue with the early base 911's, but checking with a local Indie repairer, they can do a prevention (they said that there's about 3 options) for about $2k. I was also concerned about the extra milage.

Both are manual coupes and I would like to take them to the track every 2 or 3 months.

I haven't been able to drive the base, as there are none for sale in my city, so I have to fly 500miles to try one out, but I know they aren't as torquey as the S, nor as fast, but hey they are still a 911 and have an 8,000rpm redline.

So, should I bite the bullet and settle for a base, or save up some more money and get the S later?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'll give you my $0.02.

Last year I bought an '05 997, in Seal Grey - you're spot on about the color. It's a base spec car and I love it. Mine was a high mileage car (almost 90k) but in good shape but not something I have to feel bad or worried driving and parking. I had some maintenance done, including the clutch and (the reason I liked the '05s) the IMS bearing (although once my guy was in, the bearing had already been done so I left what I had and moved on). I love the car and I'm happy with how it handles & how it drives but if I'm honest, it's no quicker than my daily driver, (an '07 335i). Reason I mention this is that I see you have an M4 and a Macan S. If you're expecting the base car to be as quick as the M4, you might be left feeling flat and better off in the S.

The only way to know which is best for you is by driving both. One more thing to consider - I'm not sure where you are but prices in the US have stayed flat. I could probably turnaround and sell my 997 without taking a loss - they're at the bottom of the depreciation curve. If you really want a 911, you could probably get the '05, drive it a few years and sell it for what you bought it for if you aren't happy. It's just a thought.

Good luck

jt
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not know the market where you are at all, but my advice is to look into the going prices for a 997.2 base and see if it is feasible. The base .2 is a very quick car.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Just don't delude yourself into thinking IMS is the only engine failure mode that impacts 997.1.

I won't weigh in on the Base vs S debate. I think there is a lot of value in each. And a lot of value in 997.1 as well. At 997.1 money I'd be going for a 996 Turbo though. A lot less concern over engine failure, you won't lose money on it.. and if you're into tuning at all its a great platform for it.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jpdp
I am looking to add a 911 to my garage. Our daily drivers are a M4 cab and Macan S.
I have for as long as I can remember, loved the 911 and before we had kids, I had a 911 2.7
I had overlooked the 997 for a while, as a bit too old and crude, but now, I miss that !

So after careful research, I had decided on a low milage 911s - I wanted the power, PASM and the bigger brakes. However, the cost is about $75k USD over here in Australia.
For that you get a 2007 S, with sunroof Bose and memory seats. It's only got 24k miles.
For about $55k AUD, I can get a 2005 60k miles base, but in seal grey (Love that colour), with PASM, sunroof, heated seats, sports seats and sports chrono. - everything I want, except for park assist. I can add bigger brakes and sports exhaust.

I was really concerned about the IMS issue with the early base 911's, but checking with a local Indie repairer, they can do a prevention (they said that there's about 3 options) for about $2k. I was also concerned about the extra milage.

Both are manual coupes and I would like to take them to the track every 2 or 3 months.

I haven't been able to drive the base, as there are none for sale in my city, so I have to fly 500miles to try one out, but I know they aren't as torquey as the S, nor as fast, but hey they are still a 911 and have an 8,000rpm redline.

So, should I bite the bullet and settle for a base, or save up some more money and get the S later?
I would get the base for that price difference. Driving difference is negligible. Then you the money saved to do some individual mods to make it your own.

Another BMW guy going for a 911, doesnt surprise me. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:01 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gtvr6
Last year I bought an '05 997, in Seal Grey ..I love the car and I'm happy with how it handles & how it drives but if I'm honest, it's no quicker than my daily driver, (an '07 335i). Reason I mention this is that I see you have an M4 and a Macan S. If you're expecting the base car to be as quick as the M4, you might be left feeling flat and better off in the S.

The only way to know which is best for you is by driving both...
jt
Great advice - thanks!
I don't expect it to be as fast as my M4. I am not after speed, more after the experience.

I wish I could easily drive both, but there's no base 911's for sale in my city.
I have driven plenty of air-cooled 911's and a 991s, but no 997.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:14 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
I would get the base for that price difference. Driving difference is negligible. Then you the money saved to do some individual mods to make it your own.

Another BMW guy going for a 911, doesnt surprise me. Good luck.
I am kind of thinking that there's not going to be that much difference - sure the S is going to be better, but where I live, I can't use the extra power all that much. Now, If I lived in Florida or Texas, where's there's lots of freeways, it might be a different story.

"Another BMW guy going for a 911," - that one made me laugh - I owned a 911 before I owned my BMW.
I bought the 76 911 just before my daughter was born, 18 years ago and we kept it for about 4 years until I needed a car with air-conditioning for work. We were even able to fit a baby seat and pram in it. We found the smallest baby seat and folding pram ever, but we did it.

This is the car which I am looking at

not my car, but exactly what it looked like
Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 PM
AJL911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an owner of a base '06 seal grey 997.1 (MT and 37,000 miles), I definitely do not have any buyer's remorse. My car was very nicely optioned out and when I was comparing it to an '05 S that had far less options - same mileage (~27k miles at the time), I chose the base model not only for the options, color, overall condition of the car, but also because I preferred the sound and overall feel of the 3.6 over the 3.8. Yes the 3.8 is faster and has it's benefits, but I feel that the base model has it's own unique and pure driving experience - similar to NA 993's that I've driven. With the Tubi mufflers and helmholtz resonator capped off, I absolutely love how my 3.6 sounds, and it is plenty fast for me. Handling wise, throwing on a wider set of rear tires made a noticeable difference, and I am very happy with how the car handles under load. My point being, you will not be disappointed with a base 997.1 (unless it's a tip ) and the price difference gives you room to address the IMS bearing issue if needed with enough more than enough left over for modifications, similar to mine (or more extreme if that's your thing) to give the car that extra edge. Regardless, both are great cars and you won't be disappointed with either. Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited by AJL911; 10-17-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJL911
As an owner of a base '06 seal grey 997.1 (MT and 37,000 miles), I definitely do not have any buyer's remorse. My car was very nicely optioned out and when I was comparing it to an '05 S that had far less options - same mileage (~27k miles at the time), I chose the base model not only for the options, color, overall condition of the car, but also because I preferred the sound and overall feel of the 3.6 over the 3.8. Yes the 3.8 is faster and has it's benefits, but I feel that the base model has it's own unique and pure driving experience - similar to NA 993's that I've driven. With the Tubi mufflers and helmholtz resonator capped off, I absolutely love how my 3.6 sounds, and it is plenty fast for me. Handling wise, throwing on a wider set of rear tires made a noticeable difference, and I am very happy with how the car handles under load. My point being, you will not be disappointed with a base 997.1 (unless it's a tip ) and the price difference gives you room to address the IMS bearing issue if needed with enough more than enough left over for modifications, similar to mine (or more extreme if that's your thing) to give the car that extra edge. Regardless, both are great cars and you won't be disappointed with either. Hope this helps, good luck!
thank you all for the input.

in the end I went for the 24k mile silver C2S
so excited to join the 911 clan again
Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I am kind of thinking that there's not going to be that much difference - sure the S is going to be better, but where I live, I can't use the extra power all that much. Now, If I lived in Florida or Texas, where's there's lots of freeways, it might be a different story.

"Another BMW guy going for a 911," - that one made me laugh - I owned a 911 before I owned my BMW.
I bought the 76 911 just before my daughter was born, 18 years ago and we kept it for about 4 years until I needed a car with air-conditioning for work. We were even able to fit a baby seat and pram in it. We found the smallest baby seat and folding pram ever, but we did it.

This is the car which I am looking at

not my car, but exactly what it looked like
thank you all for the input.

in the end I went for the 24k mile silver C2S
so excited to join the 911 clan again
Congrats and excellent choice. I'd go for the S too with lower miles. Post up some pics of it.

I've been looking at middies since California smog exempts 1976 and below vehicles.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:36 PM
chrisbenz205
3rd Gear

Id wait and get an S. 2007 and above don't really have problems with the ims.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:23 PM
AJL911
Track Day

Congrats! Enjoy it
Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 PM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree as well..get an S huge difference, have you tried a base vs an S?. I purchased a 2010 997.2 S and love it. Had a 3.4 L 996 prior, and still have a 1988 944 Turbo S (Silver Rose) that track as well.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Translog
I agree as well..get an S huge difference, have you tried a base vs an S?. I purchased a 2010 997.2 S and love it. Had a 3.4 L 996 prior, and still have a 1988 944 Turbo S (Silver Rose) that track as well.
How does your 997.2 compare to your old 996? I may trade my 99 down the line for a 997.2. Was it worth the the price differential?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:31 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vethen
I do not know the market where you are at all, but my advice is to look into the going prices for a 997.2 base and see if it is feasible. The base .2 is a very quick car.
I like this advice. As someone who has had both base and S models (still have the S model) I obviously recommend the S. That said if I had the choice between a MK1 S and an MK2 base that had PDK I would choose that. I think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first 997.1 base v S etc...