997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you should look on the garage floor...

Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 PM
guppychao
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you should look on the garage floor...

sad day, was driving home from work and the water pump busted. after the tow and finally getting back home, i look at the lonely garage that didnít have my 911 in it. i noticed a couple of antifreeze drops on the floor. not sure if it was coincidence or just a warning sign.. nevertheless in the shop now.

06 s with48k miles. it was about that time i guess.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 AM
PNW2015
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 05 base and was just told the water pump had some corrosion and needed to be replaced before that happens to me. I guess I will have to move that up on the priority list.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 AM
yvesvidal
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should always be done preemptively because of mileage (60K) or age.

Yves
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Yup, you aren't the first and won't be the last to have very little warning before complete water pump failure. Yves 60k mile interval advice is spot on. I'd also have them install the 160 degree Low Temp Thermostat while they're doing the water pump for a more gradual engine warm up and the temperature range it works in better protects the engine. The 180 degree one often isn't fully open until over 200 degrees..
Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Every Porsche that I’ve ever owned has given me an early warning by leaking something on the garage floor, except for my 991. It hasn’t leaked anything. Yet. My 996 dripped coolant on the floor before the water pump failed. It also dripped differential fluid before the front differential failed. My Cayenne dripped oil to warn me about the failing rear main seal. My 997 turbo leaked coolant when the intercooler lines had a gasket failure.

It’s always a good idea to periodically check your garage floor.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:32 AM
sandwedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Every Porsche that Iíve ever owned has given me an early warning by leaking something on the garage floor, except for my 991. It hasnít leaked anything. Yet. My 996 dripped coolant on the floor before the water pump failed. It also dripped differential fluid before the front differential failed. My Cayenne dripped oil to warn me about the failing rear main seal. My 997 turbo leaked coolant when the intercooler lines had a gasket failure.

Itís always a good idea to periodically check your garage floor.
I actually do look at the garage floor (often) and my -09 C4S gave me no warning on the water pump. Crapped at just over 40,000 miles while running some errands. Checked the floor again when I got home after having the car flat bedded to the dealer and not a drop. So I consider my current GTS water pump on borrowed time at 58,500 miles. I've read about a lot of these failures beginning around 40,000 miles. Car is under warranty so as much as I would like to replace it preemptively, I'm also hesitant to pay $1,000 for a repair that would be covered if and when it actually fails.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: