Sponsored by:

Second Gear Pop Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:06 PM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Gear Pop Out

My son and I were doing autox this weekend. My son had the car pop out of second gear a couple of times. It never did it for me.

Regardless, here is my question I have a 2005/997 early production 06/2004. I was going to put a shift detent kit in from Pelican, however the kit is for a 996 transmission. Based on my early production how would I tell if I have a 996 or a 997 transmission.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,165 Likes on 3,930 Posts

If you haven't changed your gear oil recently, I would actually start with that. Use Mobillube PTX and only this specific fluid. It's possible that your son in his shifting haste isn't fully engaging 2nd gear and the fressh (possibly different) fluid may allow the gear to engage better. If you ever have the issue where the transmission doesn't want to smoothly go into 1st gear when sitting still at a light, the fresh PTX may resolve that too.

Also check under the car to see if the shift cables are still positioned in their holders - they have a tendancy to come out. If yours have popped out, put them back in and then wire tie them in so they can't pop out again. See if that doesn't resolve the issue for you. When doing the fluid change, make sure you refill from the correct hole - there are two upper holes and the correct fill hole is the lower of the two. Also, the magnetic oil pan drain plug from LN Engineering fits the transmission drain plug holes. For extra security, it's not a bad idea to install one of these in the lower hole in place of the factory plug as it will keep ferrous gear wear material from circulating inside the transmission.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Check your motor mounts. I noticed in my 06 that I couldn't get into second under heavy braking on the track. I had to brake ease up and shift. I replaced the OE motor mounts with WEVO's and the old old ones were worn out and had play in them. I also installed the functions first Trans mounts to firm that up as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 AM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. Gear oil was replaced about 1,500 miles ago with Mobil PTX and motor mounts with factory OEM about 2,000 miles ago.

I am starting to think that the young lad in his excitement and exuberance of getting to drive his old man's Porsche at AutoX and trying to show off for two-6 foot blondes that he was chatting up might have been the cause. Face it, old guys rule.

Quick Reply: Second Gear Pop Out