Sponsored by:

997 Locking Mechanism, Porsche PIWIS Code and Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:30 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 997 Locking Mechanism, Porsche PIWIS Code and Key Programming

This post is excerpt the 997 Turbo Forum but is applicable to all 997 models. It explains the tricky PIWIS path to program a replacement (or second, third) key fob and according to Porsche, applies to any 997.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...l#post15344385
Old 07-20-2022, 09:24 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

With the proliferation of 3D-Printing, I surprised that some creative forum members have not come up with a "jackknife" blade modification using as a base for design/implementation similar keys from other cars. I remember that my son had a VW Passat with such a key and thought that it was a terrific idea.

Hence, why not use that design concept and make a similar "shell" to house the transponder in our actual keys and a blade flip mechanism. I realize that I'm over simplifying the actual execution but I've also seen talented members such as EMC2 make some pretty remarkable products using this technology.

Sorry for hijacking the OP but I'm sure that my thoughts are shared by many.

Last edited by Astur; 07-20-2022 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Needed edit
Old 07-21-2022, 06:07 AM
bestyhutch
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
With the proliferation of 3D-Printing, I surprised that some creative forum members have not come up with a "jackknife" blade modification using as a base for design/implementation similar keys from other cars. I remember that my son had a VW Passat with such a key and thought that it was a terrific idea.

Hence, why not use that design concept and make a similar "shell" to house the transponder in our actual keys and a blade flip mechanism. I realize that I'm over simplifying the actual execution but I've also seen talented members such as EMC2 make some pretty remarkable products using this technology.

Sorry for hijacking the OP but I'm sure that my thoughts are shared by many.
This was something I looked into for ages when designing the Arid key. Unfortunately it made the key super bulky and outrageously expensive to manufacture in the quality and quantity I wanted to. No doubt it can be done but was really cost prohibative to make it as high quality as the Arid key.

Quick Reply: 997 Locking Mechanism, Porsche PIWIS Code and Key Programming