Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnected Battery To Swap Steering Wheel: PSM & Drive Off Assistant Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 02:15 AM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Disconnected Battery To Swap Steering Wheel: PSM & Drive Off Assistant Failure

Hi, guys

Just swapped my multifunction steering wheel over to the sport design wheel with true paddles. Definitely a direct swap on a 2012 997.2 911. SPORT and SPORT PLUS lights up just fine on the wheel.
Surprised in general how well the car is engineered and how easy it is to work on so far.
However, I noticed when I engaged SPORT and SPORT plus, I ultimately got a PSM (or was it PASM) failure light and a Drive off Assistant warning light as well.
Stopped the car and turned it off, pulled key out of ignition, waited a minute or so then turned car back on...no warning lights.
The negative terminal on the battery was disconnected for approximately 12 hours (to be safe) before I did anything with the steering wheel and airbag module.
Wondering if this will go away over time or is this going to keep coming up when I use SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode and require a trip to the dealer to clear the code?

Thanks a bunch
Louis
Old 10-07-2018, 08:59 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_louis
Hi, guys

Just swapped my multifunction steering wheel over to the sport design wheel with true paddles. Definitely a direct swap on a 2012 997.2 911. SPORT and SPORT PLUS lights up just fine on the wheel.
Surprised in general how well the car is engineered and how easy it is to work on so far.
However, I noticed when I engaged SPORT and SPORT plus, I ultimately got a PSM (or was it PASM) failure light and a Drive off Assistant warning light as well.
Stopped the car and turned it off, pulled key out of ignition, waited a minute or so then turned car back on...no warning lights.
The negative terminal on the battery was disconnected for approximately 12 hours (to be safe) before I did anything with the steering wheel and airbag module.
Wondering if this will go away over time or is this going to keep coming up when I use SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode and require a trip to the dealer to clear the code?

Thanks a bunch
Louis
On a battery disconnect, the PSM light will come on and then cycle off - see info from your owner's manual below.

Putting vehicle into operation

After the battery is connected or after an exhaustively
discharged battery is charged, the multifunctional
PSM light lights up on the instrument
panel and a message appears on the on-board
computer to indicate a fault.

This fault can be remedied with a few simple
steps:

1. Start the engine.

2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few
steering movements to the left and right and
then drive a short distance in a straight line
until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and
the message on the on-board computer
disappears.

3. If the warnings do not disappear, then:
Drive carefully to the nearest authorized
Porsche dealer.

Have the fault remedied.

4. After the warnings disappear:

Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.
Perform adaptation of the power windows:
Please see the chapter “STORING END
POSITION OF THE WINDOWS” on Page 26

Old 10-07-2018, 03:28 PM
boredmeeting
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second this. I've had mine off a couple times in the last few weeks and the codes seem to correct and disappear within a few minutes after some basic movements in my garage.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Ksgarcia
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this is normal behavior as far as I understand. Happens everytime I disconnect my battery, and error lights persist for about 30 seconds
Old 10-07-2018, 06:18 PM
grevegti
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, just go for a drive and it will fix it. Happens every time I disconnect the battery, clears sometimes as early as 20ft after driving
Old 10-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a CTEK MUS7002 battery maintainer, which has a "supply" setting. Hooking it up before I disconnect the battery saves all the settings. No codes, no window reset.

Quick Reply: Disconnected Battery To Swap Steering Wheel: PSM & Drive Off Assistant Failure