Sponsored by:

Please help! No power but battery is OK

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:03 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by onsickm

How do I test battery with load. I have used 1000A rated jump starter but it is not even lightning anything up so battery is not the problem. Unless jump starting doesn’t work on our cars?!
Petza said it better than I could. When a car battery is under a heavy load (e.g cold start) it shows you the true health of the battery. Remember, we're trying to encourage you to look at this by the process of elimination. Once you rule out the battery, you move on the next link (no pun intended) in the problem chain.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:39 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried once again and this time dashboard lightup but as soon as I start cranking it dies immediately and no more dashlight.

anyone know what would this refer to which unit is faulty? Does 997.2 known to have ignition switch problems?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,165 Likes on 3,930 Posts

I just tried once again and this time dashboard lightup but as soon as I start cranking it dies immediately and no more dashlight.

anyone know what would this refer to which unit is faulty? Does 997.2 known to have ignition switch problems?
That is classic dead battery behavior. While it has been sitting there today it recovered enough to now light the lights, but as soon as you put a draw on it, you used up all that surface charge.

YOUR BATTERY HAS FAILED
Old 10-04-2018, 07:14 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
That is classic dead battery behavior. While it has been sitting there today it recovered enough to now light the lights, but as soon as you put a draw on it, you used up all that surface charge.

YOUR BATTERY HAS FAILED
are you sure it is battery? But why I cannot jump start it? It is BRAND NEW two weeks ago. If it is battery what it causing it to fail?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

are you sure it is battery? But why I cannot jump start it? It is BRAND NEW two weeks ago. If it is battery what it causing it to fail?
Could have been a bad brand new battery with the plates internally shorted, and since you're hooking up the jump start battery through the same shorted connection, it doesn't work either. You can test this, as I mentioned in my earlier message, by disconnecting the cables from the current battery and only connecting them to the jump start cables. Then try to start the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Could have been a bad brand new battery with the plates internally shorted, and since you're hooking up the jump start battery through the same shorted connection, it doesn't work either. You can test this, as I mentioned in my earlier message, by disconnecting the cables from the current battery and only connecting them to the jump start cables. Then try to start the car.
i have read that if I try to jump start it might fry the exu without battery
Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

i have read that if I try to jump start it might fry the exu without battery
Are you trying to jump start it from another vehicle or from a spare battery that you have?

Why do you think jump starting it from another vehicle would damage anything? If you hook it up properly I don't see why it would cause harm. In most cases, properly means positive to positive and negative to one battery's negative terminal and the other to the grounding block under the hood of the car with the battery installed. This ground connection to the grounding block is also the last of the 4 that should be made, as it's away from the battery to prevent the possibility of an explosion.

For this test though, the good car you're jumping from doesn't even need to be running so you can go terminal to terminal on all of them doing the negative on the 997 last, but the battery should be disconnected and removed from the car so that a spark on the last connection doesn't ignite battery gasses in the area that could cause an explosion. Also, make sure the positive cable can't contact anything metal or the negative cable and ground out, causing a short, as that could damage things.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:07 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Are you trying to jump start it from another vehicle or from a spare battery that you have?

Why do you think jump starting it from another vehicle would damage anything? If you hook it up properly I don't see why it would cause harm. In most cases, properly means positive to positive and negative to one battery's negative terminal and the other to the grounding block under the hood of the car with the battery installed. This ground connection to the grounding block is also the last of the 4 that should be made, as it's away from the battery to prevent the possibility of an explosion.

For this test though, the good car you're jumping from doesn't even need to be running so you can go terminal to terminal on all of them doing the negative on the 997 last, but the battery should be disconnected and removed from the car so that a spark on the last connection doesn't ignite battery gasses in the area that could cause an explosion. Also, make sure the positive cable can't contact anything metal or the negative cable and ground out, causing a short, as that could damage things.
thats not what I meant. I bought a jump start device from sams club with 1000 CCA, can I use it with removed battery or that would damage thimgs?

I just tried jump starting it from the other car I have (while battery removed) and this time it tried ro crank many times but it could mot start the car. Lights still on though and didn’t lose power. I wonder if my other cat battery wont start the porsche?

also can i still use the old battery after putting it on tender for sometime? Or is it toast and cannot be used? It is just I literally bought it 3 weeks ago after getting same symptoms
Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

thats not what I meant. I bought a jump start device from sams club with 1000 CCA, can I use it with removed battery or that would damage thimgs?

I just tried jump starting it from the other car I have (while battery removed) and this time it tried ro crank many times but it could mot start the car. Lights still on though and didn’t lose power. I wonder if my other cat battery wont start the porsche?

also can i still use the old battery after putting it on tender for sometime? Or is it toast and cannot be used? It is just I literally bought it 3 weeks ago after getting same symptoms
I don't know about the jump box. Probably safer to use a normal barter from the other vehicle.

If the car is cranking healthy like normal, there's no reason it shouldn't start unless you have another issue. With the new battery installed, how long did it sit without being driven. If only a few days you have a parasitic draw that's killing the battery. If it was a couple weeks, that's not unusual for a 997,especially if it was left unlocked.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

It seems that the consensus of responses has been bad battery - why not replace it and if that doesn't resolve your problem you have at least eliminated one issue. If your current battery is relatively new it should still be covered under some warranty - return it.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Linnm
You have to get a fully charged battery into to the fuse box by your left foot when inn the car. You will have to read your manual on how to remove the key.and open the hood,
I don't know about the jump box. Probably safer to use a normal barter from the other vehicle.

If the car is cranking healthy like normal, there's no reason it shouldn't start unless you have another issue. With the new battery installed, how long did it sit without being driven. If only a few days you have a parasitic draw that's killing the battery. If it was a couple weeks, that's not unusual for a 997,especially if it was left unlocked.
I drive the car at least 2 days a week. But the car if not driven, it is on battery tender all the time so I don't understand why would the new battery die?

Also why would the car not start? what could be another problem? FYI, the battery I used for jump starting is Honda civic. I don't know if it is enough to crank the Porsche 997, would it?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:50 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It seems that the consensus of responses has been bad battery - why not replace it and if that doesn't resolve your problem you have at least eliminated one issue. If your current battery is relatively new it should still be covered under some warranty - return it.
They would not return. Simply because under battery test, it is showing battery is good. They wont replace it unless it shows bad battery
Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Put a test-light on your battery terminals directly, or just rig one up with a couple of clip leads and a tail light bulb. You want something that will draw some current, maybe an amp or two. Any autoparts store or walmart will have a simple lantern or flashlight device with clips on it to connect to the battery directly.

Does the light come on and shine brightly?

Open the door, do the cabin lights come on?

When you put the key in, does the car do anything?

If you turn the key to "start" does it try?

All the while, does the light bulb you clipped to the battery continue to stay brightly lit?

If it does, then your car has an electrical system problem, probably a bad connection. The most recent thing was a battery installation, so start there.

If it goes out, then the battery is bad. Sometimes, new ones go bad and open internally.

Voltmeters are great, but they are high-impedance devices. Sometimes, something dirt simple, like a test-lamp will do you more good.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:33 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Battery is heart of the electrical system so you’ve got to find out if it’s good or not. As car is stuck in a parking lot I’d swap in a known good battery to see if it will start, or at least mobile enough to get it on a flatbed. Take suspect battery to where you bought it for a thorough check. If one of the cells is shorted a jumpstart isn’t going to work.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm curious - What battery brand and type (i.e. cold cranking amps) did you purchase? Where did you purchase the battery from?

Quick Reply: Please help! No power but battery is OK