Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Dealer Purchase

Old 09-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 997.2 Dealer Purchase

Im looking to purchase a few different 997.2 PDK cars from dealers. It looks like the one I'm primarily looking at just had it's 40k service done and has approximately 46k miles on it and possibly comes CPO.

Any purchase will be an out of state fly and drive from a Porsche dealer and I likely won't have the opportunity to do a PPI (not too concerned if I get a CPO)

What items should I be looking for as potential price negotiators? When is the major (expensive?) PDK service due?

​​​​
Old 10-01-2018, 12:37 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 84 Posts

If I were to do a sight-unseen purchase with a drive home, I would absolutely insist on a independent PPI to give you the real low down before you make the time and effort to fly out. It might save you a lot of heartache and pressure to purchase if the car not exactly as you were expecting. CPO leaves a wide range in quality of paint and wear/tear.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:50 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I second the PPI prior to flying out. That is the best price negotiator. Well worth the cost, especially if this is your first Porsche.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:55 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

PPI is certainly worth the peace of mind. Although most dealerships are great, we do hear horror stories about others.

CPO may not cover paint, interior conditon and other wear issues.

Last edited by ronvanr; 10-01-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I would only buy a used car as cpo. Wouldnt get a second inspection. Thats what I have always done and never had a problem. But check out the cars whole history by every source and see the porsche service history
Old 10-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't see why you can't fly out, inspect the car yourself, take it for a PPI yourself, and drove it back home.. all in the same day.

I did that on my 911 all in one day. I don't agree with paying so much for a car and not getting an independent PPI done. Whether you get the PPI done before you fly or not.. that point can be argued. I wanted to take the car for the PPI myself, so everything that was said and done in the transaction was up to me. Didn't want any dealer interaction on the PPI whatsoever. On a car that expensive, I'd imagine you can afford to take a loss on the plane ticket if the PPI doesn't come back acceptable. Picking the car carefully in the first place should eliminate the likelihood of that.

Folks have purchased CPO cars with problems. A quick search will reveal that. Trusting the dealer inspection, including for CPO is placing your trust in the hands of the same folks who are trying to sell you the car. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Why bother if you're just going to trust them to look out for your best interest.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:43 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
Im looking to purchase a few different 997.2 PDK cars from dealers. It looks like the one I'm primarily looking at just had it's 40k service done and has approximately 46k miles on it and possibly comes CPO.

Any purchase will be an out of state fly and drive from a Porsche dealer and I likely won't have the opportunity to do a PPI (not too concerned if I get a CPO)

What items should I be looking for as potential price negotiators? When is the major (expensive?) PDK service due?

​​​​
Never buy a pre-owned car without a PPI.

Read this thread before you do it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

Old 10-01-2018, 03:44 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is the major (expensive?) PDK service due?
​​​​

PDK and all wheel drive fluids are due at 60K OR 6 years; and this is an expensive service (>$1000) I recently purchased a 2013, delivered in 2012, and only last week realized that they missed updating the service as should have been done on a CPO car. (My car only had 21K miles, but was at 6 years, so this service should have been completed. ) I have since contacted the dealer and am waiting to hear their suggestion on resolution.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:25 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is the major (expensive?) PDK service due?​​​​
(I replied once, but my reply never showed up; I'll try again)

The PDK and all wheel drive fluids need changed at 60K miles OR 6 years; the drive belt also needs changed at that time.

So verify those services should have been completed. I purchased a CPO 997.2 TTS a few months ago, and just last week realized these services were not completed. I'm now talking with the dealer to see how we can rectify that.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I had family members (deceased) who worked in car sales and it was a part-time job for me for a number of years. There is nothing special about CPO, other than it may provide some additional warranty coverage. They certainly do not cover cosmetic issues.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Things to do before CPO that I missed.

Check tires - date and N spec. They will measure tread depth

All time based service and if not done have them do it. PDK fluid and controlled AWD fluid if applicable at 6 years, etc.

Then there is a huge checklist for seals and belts and stuff in the intermediate checklists that are not on CPO
Old 10-01-2018, 09:55 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

A PPI is only useful if the shop doing it is competent. Make sure you take it to a shop that specializes in Porsches, and 997s in particular. I can't stress this enough.

And I also recommend flying out to put eyes on the car for yourself. I bought my GT3 sight unseen, and even had someone local to where the car was put eyes on it for me. Certain things were missed. However, the good surprises (Brembo rotors) made up for the bad. But my case is certainly the exception to the rule.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I looked 6 months for my .2. I did not get a ppi as I didn't know about ppi's. that being said I had researched enough and had driven a few that after driving mine it sounded and performed well and the car fax was good. I took a chance, that being said I had to replace the hpfp but it was still covered under emissions warranty. it has been great for 3 years so I would say I got lucky but I doubt a ppt would have picked up the hpfp and the only other was a fwd bearing that i replaced a year later. just yesterday a guy rolled down his window and said how much he liked my car........thank you very much , have a great day
Old 10-02-2018, 02:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by ronvanr
PPI is certainly worth the peace of mind. Although most dealerships are great, we do hear horror stories about others.

CPO may not cover paint, interior conditon and other wear issues

Like this dealership that sold a CPO car to a buyer who skipped the PPI. Probably one of the most notorious nightmares on this forum. 54 pages worth of it:: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

And it looks to me as if "paint, interior condition and other wear issues" are items that must meet certain criteria to qualify for CPO standards going by Porsche's own description of it. Here:

We’re proud of our technicians, and no-one knows a Porsche better than them. Rigorous mechanical and bodywork standards must be met by every Porsche Approved vehicle. This is part of the meticulous preparation process undertaken prior to sale. You can be assured that your new Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Vehicle has undergone service and preparation worthy of the Porsche name and meets the standards you would expect of us.Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned vehicles are inspected by factory trained technicians who conduct a 111 point mechanical, cosmetic and visual inspection https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...tures/quality/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 Dealer Purchase