Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire today, mini flat kit in drink didn’t work.....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:28 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Flat tire today, mini flat kit in frunk didn’t work.....?

Previous owner put two of the kits with sealant and valve core removal tool etc for me in the drink when I bought the car. Had a nail flatten my tire and I caught it with a TPMS warning luckily while on the way to pick up my son from school. I limped it to his school and called a wrecker. in the interim I tried a sealant kit and the liquid would not flow into the valve after removing the core. Idk wtf the problem is but it struck me that a TPMS valve likely won’t let liquid through........but I’m not certain. Anyone use a sealant kit successfully on a TPMS valved wheel? Would a 19” tire make a difference? I got lucky and snagged a wrecker via my personal roadside assistance through USAA. $288 for the MPSS 235/35/19ZR 9Y and $50 install. Tire has to be ordered. There is also the off chance that tire can be patched. Yahweh willing.......

Last edited by ALEV8; 02-14-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

How old is the sealant? That stuff ages out.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Forget about the sealant and add a plug kit instead, and learn to use it. I have the Dynaplug Pro Extreme in all my cars -
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed the sealant (it was seven years old) after reading an advisory from Porsche, but see it as an emergency measure only, as it destroys the tire and you may end up being two, if the second is worn or old.

As for plug kits, I see them as a much better alternative to the sealer, but if possible, I would transport the car to a decent shop that will remove the tire and patch it from the inside, if the puncture is not on the side. I am assuming that the problem is a simple nail hole.

I have seen tires successfully patched after they were plugged, but I would not drive at high speed with just a tire plug. Just MHO.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:45 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Avoid using the sealant at all possible. That thing will never dry out and the tackiness stays on your wheels, tpms sensor, and will cause a balance issue if there is a thick glob of those sealants not evenly adhered to the wheels.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
I changed the sealant (it was seven years old) after reading an advisory from Porsche, but see it as an emergency measure only, as it destroys the tire and you may end up being two, if the second is worn or old.

As for plug kits, I see them as a much better alternative to the sealer, but if possible, I would transport the car to a decent shop that will remove the tire and patch it from the inside, if the puncture is not on the side. I am assuming that the problem is a simple nail hole.

I have seen tires successfully patched after they were plugged, but I would not drive at high speed with just a tire plug. Just MHO.
Either one should be viewed as only a temporary fix to get you home or to a shop where it can be properly patched.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

2009 C2S 127K miles

I think plugs are fine. I have one in my rear tire right now for two months now and it holds air fine. Goo is crap. Plug it ... I did ... right on I80.

My most recent fix:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...th-smitty.html

Another fix and story with pictures of the crappy Porsche goo:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-goo-bad.html

The tire experts will say to plugs are temporary and to do a proper fix, you need to pull the tire and patch from the inside. Phooey. I live on the edge. Ain't dead yet. (Yea, I been drinkin'.)

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-29-2018, 11:43 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

all the reason to carry string patches
Old 10-01-2018, 06:29 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

+1 Plug kit. While I try to take my car in to get any plugged tire patched, last time I drove probably 8,000+ miles on one before I got it into the shop. Then we noticed the inside edges were down to the threads, so I got new tires instead. My plug never leaked, nor caused any other sort of problem. I drove gingerly on it for about the first 1,000 miles, then I forgot about it. Nevertheless, I always intend to get a proper patch, and you should, too.

That said, I have plug kits in my C2S, my wife's Macan (it's waaaayy easier than trying to use her collapsible spare -- I can plug her tire in 5 minutes, and it takes 10+ just to get the jack and tire out, not to mention putting everything away again including a dirty flat tire), and all our company vehicles (except our big truck). If you have a knee pad and a rag to wipe your hands with, you don't even get dirty or sweaty plugging a tire. Should be taught in all driver's education classes.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
That said, I have plug kits in my C2S, my wife's Macan (it's waaaayy easier than trying to use her collapsible spare -- I can plug her tire in 5 minutes, and it takes 10+ just to get the jack and tire out, not to mention putting everything away again including a dirty flat tire), and all our company vehicles (except our big truck). If you have a knee pad and a rag to wipe your hands with, you don't even get dirty or sweaty plugging a tire. Should be taught in all driver's education classes.
The Macan has an inflator or you added one?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Had a flat in the GTS (with centerlocks). It was raining hard and when the TPMS warning light came on the tire had instantly lost 10lbs and was losing a pound or so every 30 seconds. Luckily got off at the next exit and there was a truck stop, rolled in with about 18psi left. I could hear it leaking right when I opened the door and saw something white barely sticking out of the tire. Bought some pliers and a plug kit and went about trying to get it out. Took forever but finally got a white arrowhead-shaped rock out of the left rear. Plugged it, inflated with the Porsche inflator, and off we went. That was 3 days ago and it hasn't lost a pound yet. Good thing it has TPMS or I probably wouldn't have noticed until it was too late to make it to that exit.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Had a flat in the GTS (with centerlocks). It was raining hard and when the TPMS warning light came on the tire had instantly lost 10lbs and was losing a pound or so every 30 seconds. Luckily got off at the next exit and there was a truck stop, rolled in with about 18psi left. I could hear it leaking right when I opened the door and saw something white barely sticking out of the tire. Bought some pliers and a plug kit and went about trying to get it out. Took forever but finally got a white arrowhead-shaped rock out of the left rear. Plugged it, inflated with the Porsche inflator, and off we went. That was 3 days ago and it hasn't lost a pound yet. Good thing it has TPMS or I probably wouldn't have noticed until it was too late to make it to that exit.
yea.... manly.... good job.... drink beer.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
yea.... manly.... good job.... drink beer.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks for the tip on the glue drying up between uses. Gotta pick some up.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just been certified to fix tires I would say plugs should only be used to get you to where the tire can be replaced or repaired. The fact that plugs can last for periods of time doesn’t make them safe. No one would consider using a plug on the track. If you’re driving your car fast why take the chanc. Penny wise pound foolish. Patches properly done can work and be safe. Of course it depends if the person doing the patch follows all the steps and doesn’t cut steps.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by rap
Having just been certified to fix tires I would say plugs should only be used to get you to where the tire can be replaced or repaired. The fact that plugs can last for periods of time doesn’t make them safe. No one would consider using a plug on the track. If you’re driving your car fast why take the chanc. Penny wise pound foolish. Patches properly done can work and be safe. Of course it depends if the person doing the patch follows all the steps and doesn’t cut steps.
+10 on the plug kits... For emergencies, Saved my butt many times over the years. Although I agree it is only a temporary solution... I did a plug on the side of the road in my Cayenne a year ago.. Never got around to plugging/patching it proper at the shop, but she is still holding all her psi over a year later from the plug kit. I throw that green junk out and never use it... Used it once and that green crap got all over the inside of my wheel well as it squirted a bit out of the hole. I drove down the freeway and got home and was pissed seeing the mess I had to clean up. Never again.

Quick Reply: Flat tire today, mini flat kit in drink didn’t work.....?