Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM Customization, Sports Mode.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:46 PM
JezK997
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PASM Customization, Sports Mode.

Does anyone have ideas or experience with customizing the PASM function. Currently with my 2009, 997.2 4S the PASM will switch on automatically when either the Sport Mode is switched on or the Sport Chrono Plus is activated (I reslize I can manually switch it of there after). What I would like is for it not to switch on when the Sport Mode button is activated. However for the PASM to continue coming automatically when the Sport Chrono Plus is activated!

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Not possible as stock. It is not difficult to press SC Sport on ans PASM off in sequence; just part of a cockpit checklist routine.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

2009 C2S 127K miles

I am picking up you don't like the PASM setting.... I thought Porsche did a sub-optimal job on this car honestly. Try this... I keep mine in Sport mode all the time now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-opinion.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-27-2018, 09:25 PM
JezK997
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ADias
Not possible as stock. It is not difficult to press SC Sport on ans PASM off in sequence; just part of a cockpit checklist routine.
i guess I will continue with the 2 Button Shuffle! Thx
Old 09-28-2018, 11:08 AM
KeepItTidy
Advanced

Originally Posted by JezK997

i guess I will continue with the 2 Button Shuffle! Thx
Its a tough life but someone has to live it!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:35 PM
Silver Stealth
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Don't like PASM Sport mode?

Have you considered upgrading to the DSC Controller for PASM?
It decouples the PASM button from the SPORT button.

Addtionally, it makes the Sport setting for PASM much more tolerable....even comfortable to drive on the street!
I personally love it. I have SPASM and was having buyers remorse until I got the DSC Controller. It's that good around town.

997 DSC Controller
Old 09-28-2018, 04:49 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Stealth

Addtionally, it makes the Sport setting for PASM much more tolerable....even comfortable to drive on the street!
I personally love it. I have SPASM and was having buyers remorse until I got the DSC Controller. It's that good around town.

997 DSC Controller
I second this statement 👍🏻
Old 09-28-2018, 05:00 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the DSC controller and I could not tell any difference between the two PASM modes anymore. Save the money and just select the softer PASM mode for the street.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 PM
JezK997
6th Gear

997 DSC Controller

thank you I will explore further.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

quote error
Old 09-28-2018, 10:21 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

997 DSC Controller
I’ll “Third” this advice. Much more supple in both comfort and sport mode. Had one in my GT4 that really worked on the track as well for different reasons.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 421 Posts

I noticed that once I got Eibach Proline springs, the PASM started making a lot more sense as far as usability goes on streets and in the canyons of LA. With the slightly stiffer than the sport S whatever springs, the PASM shock setting is much more dampered rather than harsh as it was on the OEM sport springs.
After 8 months of using PASM, I usually do:
normal everything in LA traffic.
Sport with PASM off for no traffic blasting on most freeways and streets.
Sport with PASM on for canyons and I am assuming at the track but I noticed it is bouncy in tight corners with rough surfaces, so I am thinking this might stop me from using PASM at tracks like Buttonwillow (especially On Ramp), and for sure Streets. I also worry that that last butt clencher turn on WSIR before the straights might lead me to leave it off at WSIR.
At this point, I can see myself ditching the whole system when the shocks go for some KWs or Ohlins but I would be open to Damptronics if they are much better than the OEM PASM.
It isn't apples to apples but I did notice my friend ditched his in a Golf R and then later in an F80 M3 ZCP, so I wonder if there are people out there that love PASM type suspension, and if so, what makes it more usable than what I am experiencing in my .1 C2S?

EDIT: Also, I noticed a lot of auto journalists seem to turn suspension to normal and everything else to aggro for most cars with this option when reviewing. I am finding myself in this boat after many months of trying different things out on different roads.

Last edited by jamesinger; 09-30-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 10-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by idlook2
I had the DSC controller and I could not tell any difference between the two PASM modes anymore. Save the money and just select the softer PASM mode for the street.
Sorry to hear your experience using DSC was not positive like all the other DSC users.
We answer hundreds of tech support questions each week, one of the most FAQ's is "I don't feel the difference between the two DSC modes as the first impression of using the product".
Think of the factory PASM Normal Mode is a stiffness of ~20%, and factory PASM Sport Mode is a stiffness of ~80%.
With the two factory modes it is very easy to distinguish the difference between 20% and 70%. Which I think its one of the objective of the factory presentation for the potential car buyer to feel a big difference on a test drive within one city block.
DSC command strategy to completely different than PASM.
The standard DSC calibration file(aka the mapping) in Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, in Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC has active commands based on the load, so the harder the car is driven the more g-force is produced the stiffer the commands become to counter the amount of load in near real time(around every 100 millisecond with stock PASM shocks, 6 millisecond with Tractive shocks).
At zero load(or lower load) it is of course harder to distinguish the difference between the DSC modes(DSC difference between 5% and 20%, versus the factory PASM difference 20% and 80%).
Starting at a lower % stiffness is one of best features of the DSC; This improves comfort and vehicle stability by softer ride approaching a peak of a bump and then adding just enough damping force to settle the car after the peak of a bump to prevent bounce(eliminate or vastly oscillation after bump).
To improve handling performance, DSC starts out soft to allow the tire to "set" and then progressively stiffens the individual shock relative to the load(amount of g-force, rate of the change in g-force, and the direction of the g-force).
If a driver were to expect a big difference in Static stiffness % from DSC by pushing the mode selection button without changing the driving load, then this expectation will not be met.
However, the DSC calibration can be changed to increase the minimum % in Sport mode in order to feel a bigger difference. For example, the DSC Sport mode range can be easily changed from 20%-100% to 40%-100% for personal preference.
We don't expect every driver to like the standard DSC calibration since every driver will have their own personal preference, so DSC provides free tuning software and support to change the calibration.
DSC can be enjoyed "as is" and be custom tuned for preference.

Again, I am sorry to hear DSC didn't meet your expectation.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:17 AM
JezK997
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Sorry to hear your experience using DSC was not positive like all the other DSC users.
We answer hundreds of tech support questions each week, one of the most FAQ's is "I don't feel the difference between the two DSC modes as the first impression of using the product".
Think of the factory PASM Normal Mode is a stiffness of ~20%, and factory PASM Sport Mode is a stiffness of ~80%.
With the two factory modes it is very easy to distinguish the difference between 20% and 70%. Which I think its one of the objective of the factory presentation for the potential car buyer to feel a big difference on a test drive within one city block.
DSC command strategy to completely different than PASM.
The standard DSC calibration file(aka the mapping) in Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, in Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC has active commands based on the load, so the harder the car is driven the more g-force is produced the stiffer the commands become to counter the amount of load in near real time(around every 100 millisecond with stock PASM shocks, 6 millisecond with Tractive shocks).
At zero load(or lower load) it is of course harder to distinguish the difference between the DSC modes(DSC difference between 5% and 20%, versus the factory PASM difference 20% and 80%).
Starting at a lower % stiffness is one of best features of the DSC; This improves comfort and vehicle stability by softer ride approaching a peak of a bump and then adding just enough damping force to settle the car after the peak of a bump to prevent bounce(eliminate or vastly oscillation after bump).
To improve handling performance, DSC starts out soft to allow the tire to "set" and then progressively stiffens the individual shock relative to the load(amount of g-force, rate of the change in g-force, and the direction of the g-force).
If a driver were to expect a big difference in Static stiffness % from DSC by pushing the mode selection button without changing the driving load, then this expectation will not be met.
However, the DSC calibration can be changed to increase the minimum % in Sport mode in order to feel a bigger difference. For example, the DSC Sport mode range can be easily changed from 20%-100% to 40%-100% for personal preference.
We don't expect every driver to like the standard DSC calibration since every driver will have their own personal preference, so DSC provides free tuning software and support to change the calibration.
DSC can be enjoyed "as is" and be custom tuned for preference.

Again, I am sorry to hear DSC didn't meet your expectation.
This is a very useful explanation. I will likely acquire a unit soon.

Thank you

Quick Reply: PASM Customization, Sports Mode.