Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf blower to remove excess water prior to drying?

Old 09-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Leaf blower to remove excess water prior to drying?

As stated, I'm considering the use of a leaf blower to get rid of excess water prior to drying my car after washing. Since our local water is very hard (as in PH), it tends to leave white mineral deposits upon drying. This in effect happens rather quickly due to our year round tropical weather that accelerates water evaporation despite my always washing the car in my covered carport.

I do use a good wax that creates great beading of water droplets. However, these quickly start to evaporate before I can finish hand drying the car. So it comes to mind that maybe the use of a leaf blower could get rid of most of the surface water droplets and minimize the mineral deposits that cause "spotting".

Your opinions/experiences/objections/admonishments/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Good idea, but not the best tool. Leaf blowers don’t filter the air that they blow, so they will blow lots of fine particles of dirt or other foreign objects on your paint, and they will scratch the surface. Your best bet is to buy a blower that is specifically designed to dry cars.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 381 Posts

I use an air compressor (wide nozzle from a distance, low pressure) to blow out water from all the body seams, cracks, and mirrors. I do this after I'm done drying all the body panels and then re wipe dry the areas where water blew out. I stay away from drying the whole car using air because of the same concern Dennis C pointed out. It's too easy to blow dust and dirt right back onto the car which could cause micro scratching when doing your final wiping.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:31 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

good microfiber towels pick up alot of water and usually 2 will do the whole car. I blow the car after I dry it to get water out of cracks and mirrors and bumpers and windows, etc so drops wont come back when I drive it
Old 09-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

We’ve discussed this before. Check out this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9871...ar-drying.html

If you are really into detailing, and have the means to purchase something a little more expensive, check out a deionized water filtration system. If your water is hard and evaporates as quickly as you indicate, this would be your solution - but it is pricey.

https://crspotless.com/
Old 09-27-2018, 10:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

MasterBlaster FTW!

Buy from Phil at Detailer's Domain. He runs a great sale near Xmas. 25% off and free shipping. I bought mine about 3 years ago. IIRC it was about $300 out-the-door. One of the best luxury cleaning items I've ever purchased.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:44 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I do it all the time, all cars. Car washes now even have them hooked up inside the bay. Leaf blower is fine. It does cut way down on those hard water residue spots
Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I have been using a leaf blower for two decades with zero issues. Go for it.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:19 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
MasterBlaster FTW!

Buy from Phil at Detailer's Domain. He runs a great sale near Xmas. 25% off and free shipping. I bought mine about 3 years ago. IIRC it was about $300 out-the-door. One of the best luxury cleaning items I've ever purchased.
+1 on the MasterBlaster

Also, for quick drying, the Griot's Garage 25"x35" is amazing at quickly absorbing all of the water.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ortby=ourPicks
Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I learn something new everyday. Didn't know people were using lawn equipment to dry their Porsches. I thought soft clothes did a pretty good job.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:21 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I learn something new everyday. Didn't know people were using lawn equipment to dry their Porsches. I thought soft clothes did a pretty good job.
They do. You still need the soft cloth, but that is for the finish treatment with a good detail spray. The blower, regardless of what type you use, gets the water out of all of those nooks and crannies that a cloth can never reach.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:52 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 385 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Leaf blower to remove excess water prior to drying?

I use a cordless leaf blower all the time and unless I want a car show dry it's pretty much the only way I dry all my my cars. I just make sure not to dry it in a dusty area where dirt can be kicked up from the ground or I blow that drying area prior and then move my car to that area. It's much faster and it blows all the water out of the lens and car seams and no scratching or hard water marks !! The only way to go ...I modified the nozzle tip on mine from a round shape to a u-shape for more efficient drying.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,142 Likes on 726 Posts

Check out California Squeegie. Soft rubbery blade that gets rid of enough water that a single medium sized waffle towel will complete the process.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:03 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

I've used gas blower a lot. Mostly to get water from crevices towel can't reach. Like you have hard water so back over car with Griot's Speed Shine. Like purists say, it might blow small particles on car and impact paint. But figure do good job polishing and waxing and accept the fate. My car is very nice, but I'm not entering concours. I'm driving it on public roads and will accept reality. If you ever sell car (which you'll regret), make sure to reduce price by $200 cause you used a blower and it'll need professional detail on paint.
Purists forgive me for being realist on DD that gets 6-7000 miles/yr.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:22 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Like purists say, it might blow small particles on car and impact paint.
You mean, this might have an impact similar to driving down the highway?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaf blower to remove excess water prior to drying?