Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up the 997 - am I doing it right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:52 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Jacking up the 997 - am I doing it right?

Hello all,

I read a ton of posts on the right way to jack up a 997, and gave it a try yesterday (need to get some curb rash on the rims fixed).
Aim was to jack up the rear only.
I am not sure about these two things though:

I know I am not supposed to use any parts of the engine as jacking points, but rather use the suspension.
The issue is that I am not 100% sure on the right location though.
Below a picture from yesterday's "trial run".
Is this the right location for the jack?
On the pictures I found on the web, seems like more people are using the red circled area instead?

I also read a lot about the need to put a hockey puck on top of the jack stand.
I actually only used the hockey puck with the jack, not with the stand (see picture below).
Using the hockey puck with the stand would mean the car would need to be jacked significantly higher.
Any harm in the "metal-on-metal" approach? It seemed pretty solid to me.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Outside of the 4 jack locations at the rocker panels there are a couple areas.

Good article on pelican that may help.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...p_Your_Car.htm
Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by platinum997
Outside of the 4 jack locations at the rocker panels there are a couple areas.

Good article on pelican that may help.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...p_Your_Car.htm
Thanks, saw that one before, but now had a better look at the pictures.Looks like we have 3 different jack locations at the rear now Which one is the best / safest?Or are they all ok, and I simply worry too much?

And, for good measure, the unedited picture I borrowed from the internet:

Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been jacking the rear of the car where the lower control arm meets the rear subframe. I use a thick piece of rubber between the metals. To achieve this I first jack from the side using a Porsche jack adapter pad, once rear tire is off the ground I put my larger jack in from the rear, jack up enough to allow me to remove the side jack and replace side jack with a flat top jack stand, also with rubber pad. Then lower the rear jack so car is sitting on jack stand. I never keep the jacks in place for very long, just to lift and lower. All work done while car is on stands only. No metal to metal anywhere. This approach had proven very stable for my needs.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Your owner's manual (maybe page 244 or thereabouts) shows the approved lifting points. I've always used these and have never had any issues.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by matt997
I've been jacking the rear of the car where the lower control arm meets the rear subframe. I use a thick piece of rubber between the metals. To achieve this I first jack from the side using a Porsche jack adapter pad, once rear tire is off the ground I put my larger jack in from the rear, jack up enough to allow me to remove the side jack and replace side jack with a flat top jack stand, also with rubber pad. Then lower the rear jack so car is sitting on jack stand. I never keep the jacks in place for very long, just to lift and lower. All work done while car is on stands only. No metal to metal anywhere. This approach had proven very stable for my needs.

Thanks - so you use the lift point indicated by the green circle in my photo above.
No need to lift on the cross-brace itself then (i.e. further inwards), as Pelican Parts recommends?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Your owner's manual (maybe page 244 or thereabouts) shows the approved lifting points. I've always used these and have never had any issues.
Thanks, but the manual (naturally) only refers to the lifting points on the rocker panels.
But if you use these to take off the wheels, you can't get your jack stands under these lifting points.
(Unless if you use the fancy Jackpoint stands.)

So you could put the jack stands under the cross brace (suspension), but from what I read it is better to lift from the cross brace and put the jack stands under the lifting points in the rocker panels.
The car can then remain on the jack stands placed on the intended lifting points for weeks/months.
Leaving the jack stands under the suspension for a long period seems less advisable.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

FWIW.. my friend who is an executive at Ford on the dealer service side and who worked his way through engineering school as a Jaguary dealer tech..... well he will throw a jack under any car and wail away. He said something like any of the structural members where the suspension attaches to are fine. True? I dunno..... but when I watch him do this... and did this to my 911, I kinda chuckle at the neurosis on the forums. Now to be fair, jacking is serious business, but still.... I think my friend's advice is actually "better" (whatever the heck that means) than using body panels such as the rockers. I mean, look where Matt is putting his jack... that member supports the engine/chassis/suspension.... that thing is sustaining massive forces.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
FWIW.. my friend who is an executive at Ford on the dealer service side and who worked his way through engineering school as a Jaguary dealer tech..... well he will throw a jack under any car and wail away. He said something like any of the structural members where the suspension attaches to are fine. True? I dunno..... but when I watch him do this... and did this to my 911, I kinda chuckle at the neurosis on the forums. Now to be fair, jacking is serious business, but still.... I think my friend's advice is actually "better" (whatever the heck that means) than using body panels such as the rockers. I mean, look where Matt is putting his jack... that member supports the engine/chassis/suspension.... that thing is sustaining massive forces.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Understood
Worry less, work on car more
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
Understood
Worry less, work on car more
Ha! It's all fun and games until it comes down and crushes you like a bug
Old 09-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

Metal on metal is slippery, thus unstable. Always, and let me emphasize ... ALWAYS, put a piece of rubber or wood between. I'll never lift any machine if it is metal on metal. The same goes for getting anywhere near a raised machine. Yes, I've witnessed accidents created by the work method of others.

One exception ... interlocking mated surfaces ... but please use caution.

And yes, the suspension parts carry major loads when in use. They should be able to lift the car ... but if the parts you select to lift at are angled, or become angled during the lift, the jack can slide. Look for a place that the cup of the jack can nest around the jacking surface.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:28 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by matt997

This is how I jack up the rear as well. Good info/description, matt997.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:44 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

I'm paranoid. Only get under a car if wheels on ramp or lift. Never with jack stands. Friend had vette fall off jack stand while under car. Luckily didn't fall far and he was massive ex line man. Laid there 20 min with car on chest until someone came by. Very lucky to survive with minimal injury. If taking wheel off I'll use jack stand but never put any body part under car.
And the tires look like could use replacing in the pic . Forgive me, I also don't like running to wear bar. Comes from motorcycle paranoia. I should see shrink. Got too many paranoia's!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Liftbars are your friend. Easiest way to lift the car, and safest way to keep it in the air once up. Short of an actual lift, the liftbars are the way to go. I've been using them for years with all of my Porsches (928s, Boxster and 997). Just be sure to get the correct ones for your car. Here's how they work: http://liftbars.com/

You may have to first jack the car from one of its jack points to raise the suspension so that you can get the first liftbar under. What I do is jack from either lift point to unsettle the suspension. Sit the car back down and pull the jack out. At this point, because the suspension is unsettled the car sits slightly higher. I can then put the liftbar on the jack, slide it under, align the locating pins in the liftbar to the underside of the car, then lift to the desired height. No need to unsettle the other side at that point. The jack with liftbar will slide right under so that you can raise that other side in one step.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
I'm paranoid. Only get under a car if wheels on ramp or lift. Never with jack stands. Friend had vette fall off jack stand while under car. Luckily didn't fall far and he was massive ex line man. Laid there 20 min with car on chest until someone came by. Very lucky to survive with minimal injury. If taking wheel off I'll use jack stand but never put any body part under car.
And the tires look like could use replacing in the pic . Forgive me, I also don't like running to wear bar. Comes from motorcycle paranoia. I should see shrink. Got too many paranoia's!
... and if you do remove a wheel stick it under the car somewhere near the lifted area. Better to scratch a wheel or bend a fender and have the car stay up so you can get out, rather than the other.

Quick Reply: Jacking up the 997 - am I doing it right?