Sponsored by:

997.2 Rear Reflector Strip moisture

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 02:23 AM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997.2 Rear Reflector Strip moisture

Looks like there could be some moisture in behind the reflective strip on the rear lid - between the tail lights.
Any idea how to remove this strip and fix the moisture from getting in there?
TIA

UPDATE.
I've found factory instructions on how to take the strip off. There are 6 clips after the two bolts that everyone has found.
See the PDF attached. I won't have time to test this on the weekend, so if anyone tries it, let us know please.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Targa Rear Deflector.pdf (87.8 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Greyghost230; 08-22-2019 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added instructions for taking the reflector strip off.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumping this as I have the same question. My reflector has some moisture under it and it’s driving me nuts. Is it hard to take off and clean?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:10 AM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am cursed with this, despite the car sitting in a dry garage for a while now. Ideas would be boss!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

So I know there are 2 torx screws that need to be removed, one off each side, but I am unsure as to how to remove the rest of the bar without: 1 - Breaking the anchors or 2 - Cracking the bar.

I was lifting on one side, and got the first anchor to give, but it broke, and then when trying to get the next one, I put a hairline crack in the backside of the reflector. At that point I quit. I have not gone back to trying, but the clips that hold the bar in place are not replaceable, and hold really well.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:07 PM
vhorister
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
So I know there are 2 torx screws that need to be removed, one off each side, but I am unsure as to how to remove the rest of the bar without: 1 - Breaking the anchors or 2 - Cracking the bar.

I was lifting on one side, and got the first anchor to give, but it broke, and then when trying to get the next one, I put a hairline crack in the backside of the reflector. At that point I quit. I have not gone back to trying, but the clips that hold the bar in place are not replaceable, and hold really well.
Anyone who can show how to remove the clips holding the middle reflector light...
Old 07-11-2019, 05:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by vhorister
Anyone who can show how to remove the clips holding the middle reflector light...
the entire decklid has to come off and the fan etc etc will need to be taken apart. if i get time i will take some photos of the c4s decklid in my basement with closeups of the clips holding the reflector. once its taken apart its VERY easy to remove the strip.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:01 AM
Greyghost230
Instructor

See my PDF with diagram and simple instructions!! Finally found out how it works.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:57 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
the entire decklid has to come off and the fan etc etc will need to be taken apart. if i get time i will take some photos of the c4s decklid in my basement with closeups of the clips holding the reflector. once its taken apart its VERY easy to remove the strip.
You don't have to take the decklid off to remove the reflector. Please don't repeat this advice.

Open the deck lid. Remove the torx screws from each end of the strip. There are plastic clips in between. Use a bit screwdriver with no bit. Place the screwdriver over the plastic clip and push. This provides enough pressure to open the clip and clear the body. Go from outside to inside. Once all the clips are cleared, there is still a strip of adhesive tape on the bottom edge in the middle, about 12 inches worth, so be careful peeling the reflector away at that point.

I finally got all the moisture out of mine recently and applied a bead of clear silicone over the top. I thought I had it completely sealed but still no. I washed the car a while back and noticed a bit of water had ingressed to the reflector again. Someone mentioned in my thread on this that having it wrapped with clear ppf worked for them. This is on my to do list. I worry a bit about the PPF adhesion on the back of the reflector, but as long as it remains wrapped over the edges, it should get the job done.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:24 AM
Greyghost230
Instructor

These instructions are exactly correct.
6 pins, 3 per side, then about 12” of adhesive tape. I slid my exacto blade in the gap to cut the tape.
unfortunately I believe the outer and inner plastic pieces are welded together. As they come apart, the red plastic will splinter.
the bond between the two pieces creates a black line when viewed from the outside.
I think the only solution is to replace it. But it ain’t cheap.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:56 AM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 169 Posts

Mines cracked we need a guy to make a small run of these on a 3d printer. Group buy, something... Once it leaked my cracks were a month or two later. There's a lot of heat in the back of that car and the plastic is real thin. I almost want to go ducktail and get rid of it all together.
The following 2 users liked this post by 63mercedes:
msequence (04-06-2021), myw (04-09-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:18 PM
msequence
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very informative thread! I had this on my list to look at - now I know! Thanks for posting up and for the instructions as well.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Rear Reflector Strip moisture