Sponsored by:

2007 997 C4S catastrophic engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Very good money for a 997 with a destroyed engine. Did it say why it wasn't running?
I was following the auction. It sounded like the Seller of the BaT car got the car through some debt collection process, so he wasn't the original owner. All he said was, the car ran when he got it but it made a "ticking" noise. And it subsequently stopped running. It was a no reserve auction and the basic theme was assume the worst.

Still $14k for a 2005 997 roller that was an automatic.....not bad.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:11 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Iwith Jake's engine, I got more HP and the other failure modes addressed..... more good things.... but the costs were very similar. For me, at that time, I was going to favor a Raby engine over a Porsche replacement due to the expected higher reliability and HP.
Bruce, you make some excellent points. I have no dog in this fight nor am I paid to say these things, but I've always been intrigued by the work of Jake Raby way back to the VW aircooled days before M96/M97 engines. Jake is like the Porsche "engine whisperer" or something. He's a modern day genius that can look at these engines in multiple dimensions. Unlike Porsche, he doesn't rebuild the engine with the same failure prone parts, but finds better parts that will perform on a higher level and if they don't exist, he engineers them himself. His patents are proof to this claim.

OP, sorry to hear about the engine failure. I know you're probably feeling gutted at the moment and not sure what direction to go next. I would encourage you to take time and look at all of your options. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get yourself back into another Porsche 911. We're rooting for you!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Very good money for a 997 with a destroyed engine. Did it say why it wasn't running?
Yes - description stated engine had loud noise and shut down - Sold as roller
$14K was amazing amount of $ for a 2005 Base 997 with hardly any options
Old 09-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
so no one has looked into this?
there is a GT3 motor and trans. for sale in the classifieds right now?
Does it just cost too much to be worth it??
+1. Same observation of GT3 motor for sale. There have been posts about the GT3 motor swap. Not sure what’s all involved. Would be a sweet setup.

Last edited by Hi-Arc; 09-27-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-27-2018, 10:21 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 424 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Hi-Arc

+1. Same observation of GT3 motor for sale. There have been posts about the GT3 motor swap. Not sure what’s all involved. Would be a sweet setup.

It has to be prohibitively expensive or I guess more people would do it. A Japanese tuner put a GT3 motor in a cayman recently.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/03/...cares-porsche/
that is bananas. I bet it is suuuuper fun.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
It has to be prohibitively expensive or I guess more people would do it. A Japanese tuner put a GT3 motor in a cayman recently.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/03/...cares-porsche/
that is bananas. I bet it is suuuuper fun.
wow cool
Old 09-28-2018, 01:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Yes - description stated engine had loud noise and shut down - Sold as roller
$14K was amazing amount of $ for a 2005 Base 997 with hardly any options
And a tip no less. About double the amount paid for the last roller I recall reading about.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-Arc

Someone posted on the 997 Enthusiasts Facebook page a few months ago about this swap, contemplating using aftermarket engine management. I don’t think anyone responded though.

It must physically fit as the bodies in white cant be that substantially different, if at all (other than widebody or not). I can’t rememebr the name of the engine management system, but when I looked it up it seemed to be plug and play tune system for Turbos. Going this route might make the electronics easier, but I’d worry about all of the other systems in the car functioning correctly.

On another note, Renegade Hybrids is supposed to have a complete LS swap kit for 997s.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I don't track my cars nor would I ever buy a P-car that has been tracked
I guess if you're going to track a Porsche with 125K miles, it better have new water pump, new belts, upgraded oil deep sump kit/etc. before leaving the starting line
The deep oil sump kit has always been highly recommended when tracking 996 & 997's
This sums it up. You don’t track your cars so you are armed with less than full knowledge. Where would one draw the line? 50k, 100k or etc? How about 5 years, 10 years or 25 years? Should age be more of a concern than mikes?

I personally wouldn’t buy a 911 that I did not feel comfortable tracking. These cars aren’t fragile when properly maintained. This failure, assuming not a tiptronic, could have been caused by an over rev on that down shift or one just a bit earlier.

I suspect this as much as anything just by virtue of him still being with an instructor and the hole in the side of the engine.

Neverthekess, nott real constructive to scold someone over something that already happened and I think it more odd to buy a Porsche and be scared to track it or only buying a 911 that have never been tracked (good luck confirming that one) than buying a 911 and actually tracking it.

I have raced/run old and new and seen more new cars blow up than old cars at the track.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H

This sums it up. You don’t track your cars so you are armed with less than full knowledge. Where would one draw the line? 50k, 100k or etc? How about 5 years, 10 years or 25 years? Should age be more of a concern than mikes?

I personally wouldn’t buy a 911 that I did not feel comfortable tracking. These cars aren’t fragile when properly maintained. This failure, assuming not a tiptronic, could have been caused by an over rev on that down shift or one just a bit earlier.

I suspect this as much as anything just by virtue of him still being with an instructor and the hole in the side of the engine.

Neverthekess, nott real constructive to scold someone over something that already happened and I think it more odd to buy a Porsche and be scared to track it or only buying a 911 that have never been tracked (good luck confirming that one) than buying a 911 and actually tracking it.

I have raced/run old and new and seen more new cars blow up than old cars at the track.

The intention of tracking is to drive at the cars top peak performance level - Unfortunately lots of these tracked cars have been abused - Tranny's worked hard, suspension/etc.
My good friend has been tracking his P-cars for years so I have a good understanding of what these cars go thru. Thats why he uses 2 because 1 has always been sidelined from being driven hard.
My opinion is anyone tracking a car with 125K has made a big mistake.
Sure I feel for the OP but can't expect to get much life out of a 125K mile engine/suspension doing hard track sessions.
And yeah, I stay far away from tracked cars for sale or cars with major over-revs.
RL members are fairly honest about whether their car has been tracked - At least that has been my experience shopping on RL for the past 12 years
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the definition of tracking in this sense? Would a "Track Night in America" novice class qualify?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
What's the definition of tracking in this sense? Would a "Track Night in America" novice class qualify?
Tracking is a gentle term for driving your car hard and taking it close to it's limits - I'm not referring to Parade driving.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Who doesn't track their Porsche? Do you just keep it in the garage?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:02 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

DELETE

Last edited by groovzilla; 10-02-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am the owner of a 997S 2006 coupe manual. My previous car was a 996 GT3. I have tracked the 997 8-12 times a year and it now has 135K kilometers on it. Over the last few years it has become a track car 80% of the time. Tracks have included Road Atlanta, Barber, T-Hill, Laguna, Buttonwillow, Sears, local Swedish tracks and 5 (1-2 day) events over the last 3 years at Spa. I have a few minor upgrades like GT3 control arms in order to obtain the appropriate camber. For the last two years I have run Cup 2s. I maintain the car meticulously (oil, brake fluid, scheduled maintenance) and of course replace all the consumables as necessary. I had the brakes rebuilt this last year by the dealer. The car has never let me down on the track or to and from the track (I am sure I just jinxed myself). I have always been amazed at its robustness. My mechanics say they are not surprised given that I have maintained it appropriately.

Last edited by ECS; 10-24-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply: 2007 997 C4S catastrophic engine failure