Sponsored by:

Leather / Full-Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,693 Posts

[QUOTE=ThomasCarreraGTS;15318245]
Honestly, that is the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard on here in a while. Just right now I went out to my car to take my son to school, and we were hit by a surprise rainstorm. Life happens. What, would you leave your son hanging behind and make him walk home? Also, how would you get in the car if it rains on you while you’re walking out to it. Again, for posers, or if you just want garage Queens, you can have leather floor mats, like a Pagani. For people who daily drive their dream cars, it needs to be more durable. The leather on the tops of the doors for example is very fragile. I nicked my brand new leather interior with my watch less than a week after taking delivery. The standard leather interior is much more durable, it still looks great and the car smells wonderful because of all the leather used in the seats. It is ridiculous to suggest that people should only buy a 911 with a full leather interior. Most in fact not have a full leather interior for a reason. Also, if buying new, the price is insanely high and not anywhere near a reasonable value. It’s fine if you have a preference, but to make a blanket statement that all of a certain car must have a certain trim or they are not worthy, is just simply immature and does a real disservice to the original poster who asked a legitimate question. there are pros and cons to everything. Not it everyone lives in your same world.[QUOTE]

Are you on medication? If you are, drop a pill because you are sounding irrational as hell.
I'm not dictating what to buy - I'm just stating the facts regarding visuals/smell and comfort of full leather interior--->Leather seats in 997's are pretty much identical whether you have full or partial leather so issues with seats getting wet/etc shouldn't even enter into a conversation comparing full or partial leather interiors.

The Adaptive Sport seats in my 997 tend to get bolster wear more frequently due to the design - I'm careful getting in and out of my car not to rub against the bolster too much in order to keep the bolster and stitching in nice condition. That's my choice because I like keeping my cars in nice condition. Just like I'm careful to not curb my wheels or park too close to other vehicles.
And it is In My Humble Opinion that full leather is a lot nicer than standard partial leather.
Would I buy a nice Porsche with partial leather??....Of course I would. Full leather isn't a do or die for me, it is just well appreciated.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

When I found my 997.2 S new at a dealer, it came with full leather, which I could have done without, as I had a E39 M5 (I believe they all came with full leather) as that big car has a lot of leather to maintain over the years. The first year even had leather headliners...

The key to maintaining full leather is the regular (at least once a year for all the interior and twice per a year for the dash) application of a high-quality leather restorer. It is a pain, but it is required to keep the supple feel. If you just have leather seats, then your body oils will help keep that surface in shape. If you have full leather, just check the feel of the front of the seat vs the back.

I use Leather Rejuvenator, which you can but online, but I am sure there are many other good products out there.

If the leather is well maintained, a bit of water should not be a huge deal. A pair of leather shoes will survive a rain.

I had a beautiful 1967 MGB, that had leather seats that I never maintained. I left the top down one clear night and just a lite mist on those dry seats broke all the stiching when they dried. Live and learn.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:06 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,693 Posts

I've never treated my leather interior. In my 33 years of Porsche ownership and living in rain soaked Seattle, I've never had any staining issues related to rain water on my seats or anywhere else on my leather interiors including my 12 years of Land Rover ownership with leather interior.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the regular leather is coated in the car so its pretty tough. You will have to be more careful on the natural leather cars. I had to have full leather when I was looking. Just put a leather console and sunvisors in 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:25 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Honestly, that is the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard on here in a while. Just right now I went out to my car to take my son to school, and we were hit by a surprise rainstorm. Life happens. What, would you leave your son hanging behind and make him walk home? Also, how would you get in the car if it rains on you while you’re walking out to it. Again, for posers, or if you just want garage Queens, you can have leather floor mats, like a Pagani. For people who daily drive their dream cars, it needs to be more durable. The leather on the tops of the doors for example is very fragile. I nicked my brand new leather interior with my watch less than a week after taking delivery. The standard leather interior is much more durable, it still looks great and the car smells wonderful because of all the leather used in the seats. It is ridiculous to suggest that people should only buy a 911 with a full leather interior. Most in fact not have a full leather interior for a reason. Also, if buying new, the price is insanely high and not anywhere near a reasonable value. It’s fine if you have a preference, but to make a blanket statement that all of a certain car must have a certain trim or they are not worthy, is just simply immature and does a real disservice to the original poster who asked a legitimate question. there are pros and cons to everything. Not it everyone lives in your same world.
Wow. People will rationalize anything. This is a crazy thread.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by rjaudi
All the regular leather is coated in the car so its pretty tough. You will have to be more careful on the natural leather cars. I had to have full leather when I was looking. Just put a leather console and sunvisors in 2 weeks ago.
Next trend: Vegetable Tanned Leather Interior!! The more you drive your car, the more the character comes out and darkens to a rich color.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:32 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rjaudi
^^^ this

I think ThomasCarreraGTS is mixing together "Full Leather" and "Natural Leather". The regular full leather is the same leather that's on the partial leather cars, just on the roof pillars, dash, upper console, door cards, and rear seat side panels. Yes, the door tops which may get wet may have slightly less durability than vinyl/plastic door tops, but as rjaudi said it is all coated and reasonably durable.

I don't notice any significant leather smell in my full standard leather car, nor do I feel that the standard leather is particularly soft or luxurious... but it is nice to have the stitched seams on the full leather, and that really adds a luxury ambiance to the interior. I would have bought the right car without it, but I'm very glad I found the one I wanted with it.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
997s are not very common on the used market local to me. One theme I keep hearing on the internet (where everything is right of course ) is that I don't want to buy a 997 without full-leather.

I drove a 2015 Panamera 4S and sat in a 2018 911 (the salesman offered to let me drive, even those I indicated I was not going to buy it, I was an idiot and turned him down) I wasn't impressed with my perception of the quality of the full-leather interior on either of the cars. Maybe my expectations were too high? Sure it looks nice-ish, however, it didn't feel all that magical to me and didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I drive a nicely equipped F150 as my daily driver and feel that the interior quality in the F150 is acceptable to me even though its doesnt have leather covering every surface.

Maybe I don't care about full-leather? Do non-full leather 997s really look/feel that bad? Would I care?
Highly subjective topic as with many other things on these cars. You'll hear about the same amount of people saying the ride quality in a 997 that's lowered with Eibach or H&R springs is unbearably harsh if not bone jarring. Others will trash the PDK without having driven one combined with sports chrono and then go on and say the PSE on .2 cars is too loud even with the OEM center muffler in place. I could go on.

Just like food, wine, houses and whatever, it's about personal preference. I had full leather in one of the three 997's I've owned. It was nice, mainly because of the stitching and the leather smell which faded with time but I don't give the absence of full leather a second thought as I sit down in my current GTS. Nor can I tell the difference in ride quality from stock to the H&R springs my GTS rides on. And how someone can say the PSE on .2 cars is too loud even with the center muffler left in place just further points to how vast the difference is in how these cars are perceived depending on who's behind the wheel.

So for what my opinion is worth, ignore all the opinions here and elsewhere and find out for yourself what works for you. What adds or detracts to/from the driving experience and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
LloydStC (07-11-2023)
Old 09-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
^^^ this

I think ThomasCarreraGTS is mixing together "Full Leather" and "Natural Leather".
This. Full Leather and Natural Leather are not the same option. Full leather is the standard, coated leather, just applied to more surfaces. Natural leather is a completely different product. It is aniline leather with no coating. It is bare, with the dye applied directly to the surface of the leather, as opposed to standard, which is sprayed with color and essentially a plastic top-coat. As a result, natural leather is softer, more comfortable and smells better because it has open pores. The finish on natural leather has less sheen than standard leather. The drawback is that it is more susceptible to wear (especially buffing, where it becomes shiny due to repeated use) and very susceptible to staining, including water stains.

You can tell standard from natural on a 997 a few ways. Natural has a matte finish. Natural seats have more pillowy cushions, and the seat inserts are not pulled taut and smooth, they have more material. Natural is not available with ventilation, AFAIK.

The easiest way to tell if a car has full leather is to look in the back seat. In my experience, if the car has lower back bolsters between the folding seat back and the seat bottom, the car has full leather.

Porsche's standard leather doesn't seem any better than most other manufacturers' treated leather. The natural leather, on the other hand is a very nice product. My current car has natural leather and several people have commented on he different feel and look of the leather. I do have to be much more careful about it getting wet (my car is a cabrio) and I carry a towel in case I get caught in a sudden rain storm. I also don't EVER ride with a cold drink between my legs, as the condensation will stain the seat bottom.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:05 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by orange260z
^^^ this

I think ThomasCarreraGTS is mixing together "Full Leather" and "Natural Leather". The regular full leather is the same leather that's on the partial leather cars, just on the roof pillars, dash, upper console, door cards, and rear seat side panels. Yes, the door tops which may get wet may have slightly less durability than vinyl/plastic door tops, but as rjaudi said it is all coated and reasonably durable.

I don't notice any significant leather smell in my full standard leather car, nor do I feel that the standard leather is particularly soft or luxurious... but it is nice to have the stitched seams on the full leather, and that really adds a luxury ambiance to the interior. I would have bought the right car without it, but I'm very glad I found the one I wanted with it.

I believe you are correct, orange260z and Iceter. I was referring to the "Natural Leather" interior. My bad. Having said that, I do in fact appreciate a leather dash, door panels and other upgrades, but I would not advise OP to ONLY buy a car with the full leather interior. That would simply result in such a limited number of possible cars to choose from, and OP would miss out on many great 997's. There are far more important things to consider!
Old 09-27-2018, 02:12 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Full leather or bust.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I freely admit that I cannot tell the difference between a car with a standard interior and full leather (other than the rear seat bolsters). The differences are very subtle, to my eye.

I bought my car used and I didn't really care about standard or natural leather, or leather/vinyl or full-leather. In fact, I preferred standard because I wanted ventilated seats. Some other options swayed me, however, and now that I've had the car for 6 years and 60k miles, I'm happy it wound up that way.

It does annoy me a bit that a car with a base price close to $90k doesn't come standard with full leather interior. But, Porsche has obviously figured out that not many people care that much. I think most people that ride in your car probably assume it's all leather anyway.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Correction, porsche natural leather is semi-aniline. fully aniline leather is not typically used in cars
Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

The console extension looks great too

All done. The driver side had no problem with the switches.

I have full-leather option in my C4S. I like it so much that I've added the door-pull frame, shifter bezel, and rear view mirror triangle to complement the rest. I am also looking fro a center console in leather to complete my interior.

When I bought my car 4 years ago, I was deciding on 2 almost identical specced cars. The only difference was the one had full leather but no sport exhaust, and the other had no full leather but with the sport exhaust option. I test drove both and went with the full leather optioned car. It is that much nicer in my opinion vs non-leather one.

I am planning to get the full leather, plus more bits from the "exclusive" option list on my next new 911.
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-25-2020)
Old 09-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Highly subjective topic as with many other things on these cars. You'll hear about the same amount of people saying the ride quality in a 997 that's lowered with Eibach or H&R springs is unbearably harsh if not bone jarring. Others will trash the PDK without having driven one combined with sports chrono and then go on and say the PSE on .2 cars is too loud even with the OEM center muffler in place. I could go on.

Just like food, wine, houses and whatever, it's about personal preference. I had full leather in one of the three 997's I've owned. It was nice, mainly because of the stitching and the leather smell which faded with time but I don't give the absence of full leather a second thought as I sit down in my current GTS. Nor can I tell the difference in ride quality from stock to the H&R springs my GTS rides on. And how someone can say the PSE on .2 cars is too loud even with the center muffler left in place just further points to how vast the difference is in how these cars are perceived depending on who's behind the wheel.

So for what my opinion is worth, ignore all the opinions here and elsewhere and find out for yourself what works for you. What adds or detracts to/from the driving experience and go from there.
Good points. Its quite subjective, and folks end up feeling strongly about things which may not be that much of a difference one way or the other. I'm convinced its almost 100% dependent on what they have paid for. If you bought it this way or upgraded to it there is an incessant need to defend how you've spent money. Just what I've observed with car enthusiasts in general.

I have one porsche sports car with full leather, and one without.. and I don't care in the slightest about that. I'm in these cars for the drive, not for the dash stroking.

Quick Reply: Leather / Full-Leather