Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Steering. Is this normal?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Xios
Being that this is my first 911or P car for that matter, I'm not quite sure how much road feedback is normal . On some roads I get, what feels like, a slight shimmy on others sometimes more, yet on some roads it feels dead smooth. When its present, It almost feels like a wheel balance issue but it seems to occur across the speed range. Does anyone else experience this? Thanks.
All good advice here. Some roads are paved and scalloped and will cause a steering wheel nibble. There are a few roads here like that and the sw nibble happens in the P and MDX too.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

You should replace the two front tires. They are over 9 or 10 years old!!!,
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 735 Likes on 421 Posts

I am not saying you should get new tires but that was the first thing I did when I got my car and it made a HUGE difference. My tires were the OG 2006 tires. I got PS4S, and it sounds corny but it was like a different much much better car.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

We run the PS4S on the wife's BMW and they are a great tire. Low road noise, compliant and grippy. If I didn't track my 997 I'd have them on my car.
If it were me, I'd replace all the tires. This will start you off knowing it's done with a balance job and might as well get an alignment while you're at it.
Sure, you could eek some miles out of your rears but the peace of mind of just being done for five years is worth something.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:37 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got mine out of the alignment shop today. Put a set of good condition Carrera S II wheels on to replace my rashed wheels (and one a little bent). Then had Custom Alignment in Mountain View dial it in within Porsche specs, but leaning towards better tire life.

Man, what a difference. They found it to be significantly out of whack, but got it dialed back in nicely. Mine is a daily driver cabrio, not likely to see a track, just some fun drives up and down Skyline and county roads. The steering has a lot less "grabbiness" going over bumps and feels quite comfortable on the street now. Didn't have significant vibration, despite the bent rim before, but it is notably smoother going down the freeway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 Steering. Is this normal?