Sponsored by:

997.1 advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:22 PM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.1 advice

New to the forum. Like others, I'm looking for an entry into the 911 world. I've read a lot on here about the IMS bearing and was wanted to get the board's thoughts on this. I can't tell if the IMS bearing has been replaced. Car would be a weekend only driver. My Porsche ownership experience is a 2013 PDK Boxster which I traded for my current daily driver.2005 911 Carrera Base Coupe

79K miles

$28K price

Looks like a pretty good deal. Thoughts? It's pretty cheap for a good condition 997.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...5-porsche-911/
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2005 porsche carrera coupe.pdf (24.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by PNW2015; 09-16-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:51 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi welcome! 997.1 is an excellent entry point into the 911 world. I know because I have one. I’ve said it many times but I think it’s the best value sports car in the planet. Prices are stable, maintenance cost is low and insurance premiums are negligible.

The price looks solid for a base model with those miles except it’s got 2 marks against it: 2005 with unknown IMS bearing and tipronic.

First thing is to find out if it has the small or large bearing. They changed over feb 2005 to large bearing but 2005s you typically need to visually inspect. Inquire if the prior owner replaced when changing the clutch. If you can’t get confirmation you need to budget $2k for a new bearing. If it’s still got the original clutch then you can club those 2 together for $2500. I would subtract that from the asking price.

The thing you can’t change is tiptronic transmission. I’ve never driven one so can’t comment. But most people don’t like the Tips so they trade at a healthy discount over manuals.

Its a personal preference. But if it’s important to you I would hold out for a manual. You can find some good cars in the $30k range. These cars want to be driven so mileage isn’t as important. Everybody will tell you the more they are driven the less maintence they require.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:04 PM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Thanks for your advice. It drives really well and is pretty clean. The orignal PCM was replaced with an aftermarket pioneer with an amp. Other than that, I didnt see any issues. I can upgrade it to a sport mode with the suncoast recommended parts.

I will see what kind of deal I can get on it.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

I don't think that is such a great deal - Tiptronic transmission devalues the car by at least $3-$4000 - a 2005/ 80K mile base 997 with not many options has a market value of closer to $25-$26K so you are looking at an approx +$2000 asking price
**I like the way they hide imperfections like the worn out HVAC ***** - Get a PPI and don't trust anyone selling a car, trust professional mechanics familiar with these cars.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:27 PM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree that this seems a bit overpriced at $29k. I just bought an 05 Carrera S with 83k miles for $30k, and it was a manual and has a couple desirable options like sport seats and sports chrono. And this was a clean 1 owner car from a dealer.

I would think a no option base tiptronic with similar miles should go for significantly less. The sea blue interior also tends to go for a bit less than the more common colors since it's not a popular choice, but if you like it then that's a bonus.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 AM
PNW2015
Intermediate

I got them down on the price and added a 2 year mechanical warranty. I think it has sport seats, there are many adjustment buttons on the sides but def no sport chrono. The sea blue seats look kinda cool.

I will look into getting the sport option at sun coast and would really prefer the original PCM that the car doesn't have. It has an aftermarket Pioneer with an amp. Do the 997.1 model PCM come with bluetooth and phone connectivity? If not, is there another brand that is recommended?

You're correct, definitely need to get two HVAC *****.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:52 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Stick with the aftermarket stereo. The OE model is ok but I'd swap mine out if I didn't blow my budget on track days. Do you need an automatic? It's an OK automatic gear box but nothing liek the PDK you've experienced in the boxster. The reason the Blue interior is a downside is that given it's age, when bits need to be replaced you'll have a harder time finding them. I think if you spend a little more you can get a lot more car.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 AM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Stick with the aftermarket stereo. The OE model is ok but I'd swap mine out if I didn't blow my budget on track days. Do you need an automatic? It's an OK automatic gear box but nothing liek the PDK you've experienced in the boxster. The reason the Blue interior is a downside is that given it's age, when bits need to be replaced you'll have a harder time finding them. I think if you spend a little more you can get a lot more car.
Regarding the stereo, thanks for the advice.

Appreciate input from everyone who has responded.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:12 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your own piece of mind, I would confirm that the warranty covers the IMS bearing and see what requirements they put in order to validate the warranty - ie, do they need to approve who services the car and does the oil change. Also, I would find out if the car has the larger or smaller bearing. Only way to confirm is by checking the engine's serial number which is laser dot stamped on the bottom of the engine (flat squarish block/case) on the side facing inner driver-side rear wheel:

Base engine (3.6) has designation "M96", has both the older IMS and revised larger bearing, you will need your engine number to determine which one you have:

Engine (3.6) number up to M96/05 69507475 has the older IMS bearing and Engine number from M96/05 69507476 has the larger revised IMS.

"S" engine (3.8) has designation "M97", also has both the older IMS and revised larger IMS bearing:

Engine (3.8) number up to M97/01 68509790 has the older IMS bearing and Engine number from M97/01 68509791 has the larger revised IMS.

Good luck - you'll be happy.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:27 AM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When looking for my car (ended up with an '07 C2 Manual), I drove one tiptronic car. Hated it. Even though I live in heavy Houston traffic and this car is my DD, I absolutely prefer the manual.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Pioneer head, JL audio amp and focal speaker that replaced my Bose. +1 on aftermarket heads, unless as mentioned above, you prefer the look of PCM. I prefer the MT over Trip, but personal preference again. I usually drive in heavy traffic and still prefer the MT. If it was a 997.2 with PDK and sports chrono, maybe a different story, but also a totally different price point.

If you like it and PPI is good, life is too short ....
Old 09-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Re PCM, im a purest so prefer the look of the original PCM. And for $150 you can get the LaPower bluetooth module (you can search the thread here) and gives you all the modern bluetooth streaming and hands free calling all through the factory controls.

Re AC switches, McCarbon sells replacement switches for $150. They are perfect and the owner is great. Do NOT buy the switches from Climarepair.com. That guy has been a running joke on this site for 2yrs. They are absolute crap.

If the rubberized paint on the center console paint is scrapped up that can be stripped and resprayed for $15. The AC buttons and center console were the first thing I did to my car.

Luckyly the user will do his own research and will find out that our products are rocking the market, specially since last year.

P.D. Move on

Quick Reply: 997.1 advice