Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The big debate: sell the 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just for reference, until recently I was always of the thought that I'd sell my 997 before I ever thought of getting rid of the air cooled.
As of now, I think that's changed. As "cool" as the older cars are, the 997 is just so much more capable in every respect. Plus, as it's aging I'm liking it even more.

Also, the other day I was just looking at a new GT3 and my wife said "why don't you just sell the other two and get one of those". I stopped for a second before thinking it's not worth the trade - especially when considering trading two cars that are paid for one that costs almost $200k .
Old 09-11-2018, 10:32 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by caitov
I was just looking at a new GT3 and my wife said "why don't you just sell the other two and get one of those". I stopped for a second before thinking it's not worth the trade - especially when considering trading two cars that are paid for one that costs almost $200k .
Bingo... I feel your pain... Even though I know many of us could possibly afford to do it, It is still tough to imagine trading 2 great Porsche's that have been paid off for years and cheap to insure, and still have to finance an additional $100K car payment !! YIKES!!
Although the new GT3, 6 speed manual for me, is VERY tempting
Old 09-11-2018, 11:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,158 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
:
On the bright side this puts me out of my misery for a little while.
Now that its gone, I'm curious what was the rough number was.

If the interior was just reassembly and a little troubleshooting, then yes, my estimate was pretty conservative but with the 928 I did lots of customizations that took time - auxiliary fusebox to power the aftermarket electrics, like auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, powered FM antenna, 1,000 watt stereo with the rear A/C console customized to house the amp, 3-way components in the front, 2-way composites in the rear and a sub, USB charging ports in the dash, turned the ashtray area into a gauge holder for the wideband O2 and boost gauges, 997 seats, custom Corian fuse panel cover, CF inlays for the Gauge cluster with aluminum trim rings, led lighting, electric locks, etc, etc, etc so all that stuff takes design though and fabrication time.

There was other stuff I had to fix and fabricate too - firewall to separate the passenger compartment from the trunk, remove and reinstall the roof to get it weathertight and sitting correctly so the windows would seal up against it, finish assembly of all the lighting, etc etc etc

Funny thing is I was looking for a turnkey 928 when I stumbled across this one and it just spoke to me. I envisioned what it would look like when it was done and just had to do it, probably very similar to what you're feeling about an IROC build 911.

But, I wouldn't sell my 997 to replace it with this type of older car. As an add-on, it's great and a completely different driving experience - a big v8 GT with soft top, no electronic nannies, no cats - loud and smelly - but a replacement for the 997, it's not.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-12-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

@pete - it listed for $35k and he dropped it to $33k a few days ago.

Wouldn't you know it, one of the guys who put an offer on my car emailed me tonight asking for an update and saying he's ready to go whenever I say yes. Ugh. Feel bad for stringing him along.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Pete
Jesus. Many of us here do at least some work on our cars ourselves but this is so far beyond my paygrade in the DYI department that I don't know how you got all that put together again. No matter what manuals or other directions you had available to you. Looks like the car is in your garage so I assume you did it yourself.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,158 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Jesus. Many of us here do at least some work on our cars ourselves but this is so far beyond my paygrade in the DYI department that I don't know how you got all that put together again. No matter what manuals or other directions you had available to you. Looks like the car is in your garage so I assume you did it yourself.
LOL and Thanks. Yes, I did all the interior work on the 928 myself. Extra challenging since I wasn't the one that took a lot of it apart.

I had a lot of the mechanical stuff done when I bought it by 928 Motorsports, in fact I shipped it straight from the Seller to them. They did the supercharger install, brakes, suspension and Corvette Z06 6-speed transmission upgrade.

I redid the air intake to be a cold air system pulling from the passenger fender well, the powder coated intake spider legs, and the other stuff under the hood related to the heat exchanger.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-20-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Ohio Performance
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Bingo... I feel your pain... Even though I know many of us could possibly afford to do it, It is still tough to imagine trading 2 great Porsche's that have been paid off for years and cheap to insure, and still have to finance an additional $100K car payment !! YIKES!!
Although the new GT3, 6 speed manual for me, is VERY tempting
I would still stick with a 997.1 or .2 GT3 - now your well within your budget. Thats my long term goal!
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
I would still stick with a 997.1 or .2 GT3 - now your well within your budget. Thats my long term goal!
I jumped from a 997s to a 997.1 GT3 and it was the best decision I ever made. I was perfectly happy in my S, but the GT3 is incredible.

Ryan
Old 09-12-2018, 12:29 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

voodoo - wow, that looks amazing! interested to hear how long you've been working on it and the budget line items so far.
Started about 1.5 years ago. Snow balled into a full SEMA build that should be complete in about 6 weeks. It will be similar to Nippy's blue SC, but I took it a little further. I also kept it narrow to be a little different.

My only suggestion would be to start with a pretty decent car, or just buy an outlaw that is complete already. It's probably cheaper in the long run.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:51 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Gents - love the feedback. Always good advice. And Pete, based on your reaction I think you understand my dilemma :-)

As for the Miami blue '82 IROC build, here is the original build thread on Pelican and Youtube video. The guy did a great job.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...n-journey.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcj1HxAAsNI

What an awesome build. It's cool yet deceiving at the same time. Just like any build, whether it's a car or a Property Brother house renovation (I'm doing some house repairs), they make it look so easy. lol

I used follow a lot of the Toyota Supra builds "righting the wrongs" to the 1500HP Real Street/1320 builds and was dead set on making my Supra an ultimate monster. I get it, it's part passion and part stimulation to be able to take something and turn it into something amazing. That's what makes us car guys tick. Most women will never understand why we're in the garage till 2am. I know my wife absolutely dislikes it when I wrench in the garage because I never answer my phone. My excuse is that I'm in a contorted position or the 90's Hip Hop was blasting too loud for me to hear my phone. lol

You have to factor a lot of things, not just only money. If you're a one man gang, you're going to need more than luck. If you have a trusted shop, enough free time, NO KIDS, sponsorship, hook ups then the build will be much easier.

What's it going to be...
Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Ryan - thanks! Send over photos when you are finished.

Question: do you think its practical to convert a track car back to a street car? I've seen a few selling below 40k that look like they have 100k in the engine and suspension alone.

Ps - Did you sell your 997S for a Gt3...? I thought you just bought the 997 a few months ago.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:30 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Like this?

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...one-c-8619.htm

Old 09-12-2018, 05:09 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Ryan - thanks! Send over photos when you are finished.

Question: do you think its practical to convert a track car back to a street car? I've seen a few selling below 40k that look like they have 100k in the engine and suspension alone.

Ps - Did you sell your 997S for a Gt3...? I thought you just bought the 997 a few months ago.
If I could find a good deal on a track car I'd pull the trigger. You can easily make them street able, especially if you are going for the outlaw look. Plus, they'll probably have a bunch of components already installed that you would need to buy on a fresh build.

I had my 997 for about 4-5 months and found an incredible deal on a red GT3 that I could't refuse. I had a buddy who wanted my 997 so it all worked out! I couldn't be happier.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:56 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

My 2c. If you can sell your car for more than you bought it for, take the money and run like hell.

From what I can tell, you're in a .1. If you can't locate an air-cooled and resort to another 997, use the proceeds to move to a .2. That is the true keeper. No offense to our .1 brethren.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep looking at track cars to street options as well - like the V8 powered Rx7 that was on BAT recently. I think though the 997.2 Turbo may be the best of all worlds. Even spent an hour considering the 2005-6 GT40 this morning after seeing DeMuro's latest video but a 2011 Turbo is just as fast, more practical, less attention, half the cost, and has better overall look feel then the GT40. Please Save Me also a P+. The Ford is barren.

Quick Reply: The big debate: sell the 997...?