Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water drip from dome light..... sheesh....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts
Default Water drip from dome light..... sheesh....

2009 C2S 127K miles

This is a problem I thought I fixed. It is very intermittent. The water drips from the dome light down onto the shifter boot.... no stains or marks.

I have figured out that it drips when the car is parked canted forward just a bit (aiming down a very slight hill... not much). I had thought it was a leak from the windshield replacement I did years ago.... To fix this... I squirted a window leak repair silicon into the rubber trim all along the top (leading and trailing sides). This silicon has really low viscosity... it is like water, but dries to a typical silicon rubber. Being really liquid, is runs into all the right places...... but this was not the problem.

The leak must be coming from the roof. I don;t think it is the roof drains as I constantly run weed wacker line through them. The challenge for the front roof drains is they terminate into a 90 degree elbow into the tops of the front wheel wells, so the weed wacker line stops and can't make the turn. To get it to do this, you have to pull the wheels and wheel liners to get to the holes. Just a few weeks ago, I cleared the holes with the weed wacking line and the poured water into the drains..... out it came........

Sooo...... anyone with any insights? I think the water is just being water and clinging to things and avoiding the drain channels in there. I have been threatending to replace the seal around the roof hole but someone here warned me against it as it is pretty difficult to get just right. I know this seal allows a ton of water through to the littel internal trays and drain holes.... How do you know? Just take a glass of water and pour it onto the seal.....it goes right in.

Oh well.... Just keep the nose a bit higher when it rains.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

One time, shortly after acquisition, mine leaked wetting the roof liner at the front left corner. I poured water into the drains and it flowed without restriction. The problem disappeared. That was almost four years ago. I figure that the sunroof must have closed "wrong" or something.

Nose down to me eliminates the windshield and leaves you only with the sunroof and its gasket.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe a water 'lubricant' like rain-x in the pipe. I'd test it first and see if water drains faster in a narrow pipe when treated with rain-x or not. It might be such a fine hole that it has a capillary action. I have a cab so I can only guess.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

HVAC on high, and soapy water spay on the front windshield seal?
Would that be enough air pressure to see a bubble from a poor windshield seal?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
HVAC on high, and soapy water spay on the front windshield seal?
Would that be enough air pressure to see a bubble from a poor windshield seal?
Wow, that is clever!!!! I will give that a try next time I wash the car... maybe this weekend if no rain.

If not, maybe I can snake my air hose in there too somehow..... I have to check local laws first... snaking your hose into unusual places may upset the neighbors.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:33 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Fog machine on the inside. On low. cover the seats and interior components.

That's how my friend found all the leaks in his pressurized airplane.

Quick Reply: Water drip from dome light..... sheesh....