Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s going dramatically up in value is

Old 09-09-2018, 02:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I think the fear factor is beyond reality. The large bearing IMS has such a low failure rate (Flat 6 findings, not mine) it’s been overblown. Are the failures, sure, is it bigger than bore scoring, not sure. That’s like saying any Porsche with PDK is a time bomb.

If all these cases of failure were an epidemic as people say Porsche would never sell a new car and resale prices would plummet.
I agree. As I've said before though I don't think would be buyers of 997.1's doing their due diligence are served right being told that the IMS on -06-08 cars is a "non issue" or that the "problem was fixed as of 2006". Everyone has different risk tolerances. To some, the difference between "extremely low chance of failure" and "non issue" or "problem fixed" is a big deal and possibly a deal breaker where to others it is a non issue even with rare documented failures on the later cars.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:18 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
Seems like the 911 is losing its classic shape and headed towards an Aston Martin...
No, ironically AM looks better .
Old 09-09-2018, 03:06 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 911 buyers are falling into two camps. Purists and GT drivers. If you can only choose one car you have to choose. Thankfully I have the space to have a 911 and a few GT cars. The 991's are a GT car first and a 911 second.

BTW, I love the 991 design and looks. I chose the 997 for its close relation to the original design, compact body, depreciation curve and over all feel. If I had to scale down to one car, the 991 would be at the front of the list followed by a Stingray..
Old 09-09-2018, 09:29 AM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rootwyrm
That's why you should get a C4GTS coupe 6 speed.

The mileage is just a number with no real meaning when there's less than 200 in the world.

Also, it's objectively better. I had a realization as I put close to 2000 miles on Onyxia this week. Porsche built the C2GTS for the "purists." People who insist on clear-wrapping every inch of the car, who won't take it out if it's more than 65.5% humidity or >5% chance of rain or construction within 2 miles of their chosen route. People who are more concerned with the 'investment' in other words, have no intention of actually driving it, think that track days move the decimal points to the left, and insist they know everything there is to know about Porsche.

The C4GTS coupe doesn't go up for sale because it was built exclusively for people who not only drive their Porsche, but drive it daily, and as it was meant to be driven. I've driven both. So yes, I'm completely serious. I'm sure there'll be a hew and cry demanding I be banned for daring to say the C2GTS is inferior to the C4GTS. How dare one of the extremely few people on earth who have actually driven one of these unicorns objectively evaluate them, right? The C4GTS launches harder, handles better, is far more visceral, utterly raw, and is a much harder car to master. It welcomes you with open arms, and then kicks you in the nads when you think you're good enough to really wring it out. "Oh, you think you got it? NOPE, HAVE SOME UNDERSTEER. Try again, buffoon."

And the C4GTS is not going to get any more common. Go look up the part numbers for the C4GTS driveline. I'll wait. Yep - zero C4S content. My dealer is gonna love dealing with mine. (Yes, all the sarcasm.) In other words, if it ain't the axle hubs? You really do not wanna break it. The front diff is the Turbo/Turbo S unit, $9600 part. But holy hell. There is nothing that drives like it. Nothing. Period.

But seriously, why the hell would you drive in Texas weather unless you have a strong desire to drown to death in your own sweat? I just got back from Austin and pretty much the outdoor activities were to-and-from air conditioned spaces only.

Glad you love your GTS. Now, can I have some of whatever it is that you are smoking please? Go ahead, pass it on down, haha.

But seriously, different strokes for different folks. I wanted, and bought, a base model for two reasons:

1. I wanted it to drive as close to what (in my mind) the original 911's were designed to drive like. I did not want electronic suspension, AWD, etc.

2. I wanted the cheapest entry fee possible because I knew mine would be driven everyday rain or shine. In my mind, the cheapest entry fee nets you the lowest depreciation dollar wise even though I have zero intention of selling within the next 10 years, if ever. The cars I like, I tend to keep for a very, very long time. But not only depreciation, I can stomach door dings from Walmart and rock chips from being a daily driver much easier on a $40K car than I can an $80K car.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Classic

Classic lines of the 911 except for those rear taillights!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997s going dramatically up in value is