does anyone know what the size is in a c4s with bose, 997.1

any how big will fit

thanks
Old 08-25-2018, 08:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,161 Likes on 3,926 Posts

Attached is the DIY and write-up I did on the Focal speaker upgrde I did in my 2005 C2S that lists the speaker models I used that you could reference for size. Good luck with your project.
Attached Images
Old 08-25-2018, 10:09 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

appreciate it man
Old 08-25-2018, 11:20 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I know this is not the cheapest route, but Porsche does sell just the speaker replacements for about $50 per speaker.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:39 PM
Sangahlang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Petza419 how much do you have in that setup i would love to swap my speakers out too
Old 08-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sangahlang
Petza419 how much do you have in that setup i would love to swap my speakers out too
I have about $1,250 in this setup. I found the 2 Utopia subs on ebay for $620, bought the rest of the Focals for $450 from someone off Rennlist or 6speed and then the Alpine amp with adjustable base control **** for about $175.

I was more concerned about the quality of the sound and only doing the job once, more so than the cost. Here's the speaker list of what I installed.
  • 2 IS200 8" Woofers & Tweeters,
  • 4 IC100 4" Co-Axial speakers
  • 2 TIS 1.5 tweeters
  • Pair of Focal Utopia Be 13 WS 5" Subs

Last edited by Petza914; 08-28-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It would be hilarious to go through the trouble of pulling the door or any other panels in a Porsche to put back factory stereo equipment, which even on the upgraded audio is not good at all.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:22 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
It would be hilarious to go through the trouble of pulling the door or any other panels in a Porsche to put back factory stereo equipment, which even on the upgraded audio is not good at all.
Not for someone who doesn't give a flying rats *** about loud booming stereo systems or doesn't want to go through the pains/fears of modifying OEM wiring or trying to studying schematics in hopes to to match weird stereophonic setups with low nominal impedance amp outputs, phase reversed wiring, MOST based fiber optics, special connections/plugs etc. etc. etc. Some people just want to replace a broken speaker.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:28 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Not for someone who doesn't give a flying rats *** about loud booming stereo systems or doesn't want to go through the pains/fears of modifying OEM wiring or trying to studying schematics in hopes to to match weird stereophonic setups with low nominal impedance amp outputs, phase reversed wiring, MOST based fiber optics, special connections/plugs etc. etc. etc. Some people just want to replace a broken speaker.
True. The Bose system doesn't sound half bad, but if you were to replace all the speakers with even entry level aftermarket speakers the sound quality would improve tremendously. Not to mention a more powerful amp. Doesn't need to be loud and booming, just clear and accurate.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zirrah
True. The Bose system doesn't sound half bad, but if you were to replace all the speakers with even entry level aftermarket speakers the sound quality would improve tremendously. Not to mention a more powerful amp. Doesn't need to be loud and booming, just clear and accurate.
Yup, that was my goal and what I accomplished. There are some songs that play now where I'm hearing things I never heard before, even in my car with Fabspeed Valvetronic exhaust, headers, intake, hi-flow cats, etc. I find myself looking around to see what that is and then it goes away. The same song comes on a few days later, and the same thing happens. My system is not bass heavy, just well balanced. At some point I may pull the rear sub again and go to the higher output amp to drive those Focal Utopias, and turn down the gain to protect them, but in most cases with the bass adjustment **** all the way up, the bass balance is right on. For some bass heavy songs like Black Eyed Peas, I actually turn it down some so it's nice to have the adjustment **** that I installed at the edge of my seat near the power seat controls.

Here's what the door setup looks like

and the rebuilt rear sub box

The sound from the front speakers, especially the larger door woofers is much improved and they're moving a lot more air. I can actually feel the sound waves moving the draped leg of my pants when wearing light dress pants. All in all, I'm very pleased with the upgrade and the result and would do it again without a second thought. Plus, I'll never sell this car so don't really worry about having to swap anything back to stock and have sold off most of those original components from all the different mods I've done. Only way I'll get rid of it is if it gets wrecked, and then it's insured with agreed value where I'll be able to replace it with something as unique and as much fun.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:46 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yup, that was my goal and what I accomplished. There are some songs that play now where I'm hearing things I never heard before, even in my car with Fabspeed Valvetronic exhaust, headers, intake, hi-flow cats, etc. I find myself looking around to see what that is and then it goes away. The same song comes on a few days later, and the same thing happens. My system is not bass heavy, just well balanced. At some point I may pull the rear sub again and go to the higher output amp to drive those Focal Utopias, and turn down the gain to protect them, but in most cases with the bass adjustment **** all the way up, the bass balance is right on. For some bass heavy songs like Black Eyed Peas, I actually turn it down some so it's nice to have the adjustment **** that I installed at the edge of my seat near the power seat controls.

The sound from the front speakers, especially the larger door woofers is much improved and they're moving a lot more air. I can actually feel the sound waves moving the draped leg of my pants when wearing light dress pants. All in all, I'm very pleased with the upgrade and the result and would do it again without a second thought. Plus, I'll never sell this car so don't really worry about having to swap anything back to stock and have sold off most of those original components from all the different mods I've done. Only way I'll get rid of it is if it gets wrecked, and then it's insured with agreed value where I'll be able to replace it with something as unique and as much fun.
Yeah you have 8" in the front doors right? Very impressive that those suckers fit.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zirrah

Exactly. If you're gonna do a thing, why not do it correctly? Take out the door speakers (which are blown/damaged/underperforming) and replace with the same thing that already failed? That's backwards and shortsighted.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:11 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Attached is the DIY and write-up I did on the Focal speaker upgrde I did in my 2005 C2S that lists the speaker models I used that you could reference for size. Good luck with your project.
What made you pick these speakers? Are they the best sounding, or the best fitting speakers?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, 8" in the doors. I modified the original speaker mounts to hold them and if you assemble things in the right order with a ball end metric allen, you can access all the fasteners so they bolt right in. I also used a boom mat enclosure to protect the rear of the speakers.

I picked them because I really like Focal speakers after my experience with them in my 928 Spyder, which is running a 1,000 watt 6-channel amp.. The front doors have 3-way components the rear panels have 2 way composites, and the rear channels are bridged to a sub in the trunk

Old 08-28-2018, 07:10 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Not sure if 997.1 has the same sizes, but I am doing an install on my 987.2 S (same door panels as 997, there are even 997 stickers on the door panels) with Focal 165A3 (3 way components). Not a big deal if you take your time. I was able to keep the original speaker housings and even utilize OEM connectors. Did need to modify the speaker housing a small bit with a dremel. Putting it all back together now after I finished the dynamat insulation last night. Combining with AVIC-W8400NEX and Polk D5000.5 5 channel amp. Didn't have any guesswork as the Focals state the system impedance, and the amp also states the impedance.

Could have just done the speakers and dynamat and gotten a great improvement with minimal effort, using factory connectors and all. Decided to do the whole thing as the 987 is my daily, and I don't like to half-*** things when possible. This won't be a particularly loud setup, as I think you can get a factory system that's rated similarly on power output. The point is clarity and accuracy. And not putting crappy paper speakers back in because why bother.

Hardware
Name:  ht9d3ho.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  943.9 KB

Focal 165 A3 Component setup
Name:  60hRJYL.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  833.0 KB

Door ready to go back together. Inside of the door panel is also insulated with dynamat
Name:  r8DkmX2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  833.2 KB

Quick Reply: speakers