Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion needed - lower suspension or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Ramluro
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Opinion needed - lower suspension or not?

Hi all,

I would appreciate the input from forum members regarding lowering the suspension on my 997.2 C4S.
I would like to lower it but I am not sure. What do you think? If you say lower, by how much? Eibach (0.8) or H&R (1.2)?
Thank you
Old 08-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I have H&R on my C4S. No complaints, really.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I say lower with H&R. More aggressive stance and the ride quality is fantastic, regardless of what you may read in this forum.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:30 AM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What is your goal or what direction would you like your car to look like that will please you? Would you like a mild drop (0.8" to 1.5") or an aggressive drop (0.5" to 3").

I initially went to a mild drop (lowering springs) to improve the look of the car as base 997 settings are higher than the S or C4s. A month later, I was itching to drop the car a few inches more so I did coilovers. It may be overkill for street use but I am so happy with it as it gives you options to adjust height (high or low) and dampening (soft or hard). I am pleased to say with the setting now the ride quality is almost if not better than the eibach pro-kits.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
I say lower with H&R. More aggressive stance and the ride quality is fantastic, regardless of what you may read in this forum.

Can't be said better than that. On my third 997 and on my third set of H&R springs
Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I vote Eibachs. Looks more OEM and "correct," while H&Rs have more of an overt borderline-slammed look IMO.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I vote Eibachs. Looks more OEM and "correct," while H&Rs have more of an overt borderline-slammed look IMO.
I disagree but I guess it's a matter of semantics. ""Slammed" to me is when part of the top of tire can't be seen as it's hidden by the fender. With H&R's you still have I'm guessing at least 1/4" gap between the tire and the fender. With Eibachs, another 1/4". Do you really think blakecam's GTS on H&R's above looks slammed?
Old 08-23-2018, 07:09 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default H&R’s here...

I have a 997.2 C2S w/ H&R’s. The ride is a little more stiff than I’d like but it okay. I took it on a decent drive last weekend and noticed a ton of road noise. I don’t know if it’s me or the car but I just don’t remember it being that loud in my Cayman S. This car has Michelin PSS’ tires with plenty of treat.

Question - could the drop contribute that much to road noise? I really wish I could compare the ride in my car to another 997.2 with Eibachs and Stock...

look wise, I agree the H&R’s make the stance about perfect. That said I would take some comfort improvement in exchange for 1/4” drop if it was a noticeable difference in ride and noise.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:30 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

H&R for the win!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 AM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

One more for H&R...
Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I disagree but I guess it's a matter of semantics. ""Slammed" to me is when part of the top of tire can't be seen as it's hidden by the fender. With H&R's you still have I'm guessing at least 1/4" gap between the tire and the fender. With Eibachs, another 1/4". Do you really think blakecam's GTS on H&R's above looks slammed?
I didn't say H&Rs are slammed, just that they're a little too close to that aesthetic for me. Blakecam's is a smidge lower than I'd want, yes, and generally, any time these threads come up, I find the Eibachs to be a more pleasing drop. From the countless other threads, H&Rs also seem to have more issues with sagging over time and harsh ride characteristics.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:07 PM
tdz3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote for Ohlins Road and Track
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2018, 01:38 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
+1
I also vote Eibachs. One of the best mods I’ve done to my car.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:39 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 740 Likes on 423 Posts
Cool

Eibachs are the mellow choice and a good starter to see if you want to deal with having your car lower. Regardless of what anyone says, you will hear a bit more from your suspension on broken concrete and over bumps in varied conditions... You will also get more road feedback, and not always in the way Chris Harris talks about in the positive (i.e. feeling much more road imperfections is a guarantee). Before I put Eibachs on my car at 16k, the car was much more like a fast grand touring cruiser. I didn't get much discussion from the suspension, or too much feedback from the steering wheel. It was actually very similar at freeway speeds to my B8 Avant in normal mode. After installing Eibachs with RSS 15mm spacers all around, I get more sounds from the suspension over the (very) broken roads in LA, and I definitely get more steering wheel feedback. It isn't extreme enough to be an annoyance, or to warrant immediately going down the suspension rabbit hole but it is worth mentioning.

The only real negative I noticed, is the commute I take in LA is from Pasadena to Woodland Hills. I take the 210-->134-->101 and back. The reason I mention this is the freeway has about 500000 different surfaces of different vintages. The patchwork is insane. As a result, it is really hard to pinpoint minutia in alignment and suspension. For example, when I am on the 210, I feel like they messed up the surface in a lot of areas where the grooves in the freeway have a lot of squiggle in them, and it makes my steering wheel shake a bit. However, at the same speed, on different patches of freeway, it doesn't shake. The reason I mention this is, before I lowered my car, I never noticed that.

Just as a disclaimer, I am the kind of person that went through 5 different suspension set ups on my previously modified car not including stock + 2 complete changeovers until I was satisfied, so I clearly have something wrong with me.

here is a picture of how my car looked yesterday.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:52 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Showing my ignorance here: I don't understand why so many people are so keen on lowering their car by an inch or so. Why the big fuss about it?

Quick Reply: Opinion needed - lower suspension or not?