Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quirky observations about your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:04 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Besides the typical engine one.. had some kids ask if I was having engine trouble. I said yes and they ran over and then didn't know what to say when it was groceries

Other odd thing.. the outside air temp on dash is always .5 degrees higher then the one by the radio. Drives me nuts.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
Other odd thing.. the outside air temp on dash is always .5 degrees higher then the one by the radio. Drives me nuts.
Not in error... rounded off.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Why not round them both? Just seems odd
Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Why not round them both? Just seems odd
One display gives you an extra digit...
Old 08-22-2018, 11:02 PM
kimchee411
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the typical engine one.. had some kids ask if I was having engine trouble. I said yes and they ran over and then didn't know what to say when it was groceries

When I'm out and putting stuff in my frunk, I always wonder if people who see me think I'm having car trouble, reinforcing the notion that European (sports) cars are unreliable pieces of crap.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
One display gives you an extra digit...
With you.. still annoying. Any measured metric in the same viewing area should display consistent values in my opinion.

Personal preference I guess.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funnily enough JustinCase, that's what I do. Just take the corner. Any old SUV/POS can make it up to and over the speed limit... (we don't have your trucks over here).

Last edited by MaximumA; 08-23-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: multiquote no worky
Old 08-23-2018, 06:31 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 740 Likes on 423 Posts

I do feel that in LA, people hate on 911s in traffic more than other cars I have owned. I was warned to drive extra polite in any 911 when I got mine but I notice a lot more of the already over the top uncooperative nature of LA drivers seems elevated moving from an Audi Avant into a 911. Some of this I attribute to people staring at the car, at least when I rode in a 991 GT3RS and other GT3s specifically. My friend driving the GT3RS said, people target fixate on the car all the time and it makes it dangerous to drive. I definitely had a dude in a Lexus RX (usually a bad sign in itself) doing this to my C2S yesterday. He kept looking over and swerving into my lane while he was looking, he'd hit the reflectors and then jerk back. If I didn't see him looking at me all weird, I would have assumed he was trying to get over. We were stuck in traffic next to each other with no escape for an hour from Fairfax and Beverly to Vermont and Beverly. FML.

...but I have noticed more people doing ROCKET BLAST hole shot stoplight starts in minivans and other more "responsible vehicles," as well as people blasting up to not let me over when I am merging, or getting on the freeway (BTW LA people as a whole have very strong merging issues). I have lived in LA so long now, I just DGAF about LA people's wildly bad driving and insane die-trying level of uncooperativeness, to the point where unless someone hits me, I am just chilling in traffic (honestly listening to Trojan Roots and Dub mixes to stay calm) because it is impossible to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time in LA. Before anyone asks why I live in LA still, and other people that live in LA will back me up, I LOVE/HATE LA. It is the BEST/WORST place to live. The other reason is my wife and her whole family are from here.

Last, is the Mustang a natural enemy of the 911? I have never had more of one model harass me until I got my 911 in February. I have had my car almost 8 months now, and very regularly ONE type of car harasses me on the streets and on the freeway when I am just cruising minding my own business. If I had to pick one car that continually does asshat stuff around me, trying to race me, or just trying to get me to simply recognize their lame sad existence before they skid off into a crowd of people, it has to be Crustangs. ...just a question.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:13 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Gee, thanks for mentioning the outside temp readings. I had never noticed that, but now I can’t I see it. Curses.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I do feel that in LA, people hate on 911s in traffic more than other cars I have owned...
I agree with your entire statement, as just this morning, I had a Nissan Sentra slip right into the open space I was merging into, essentially forcing me back into my lane. This experience is above most normal, non-911, cars I've driven (even the Cayman had a smoother driving experience).
Old 08-24-2018, 12:01 AM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In SF it's Camry's. Camry's everywhere, tailgating, weaving in and out of freeway traffic at 90 mph - I find the old *thumbs down* works best, hit's them right in the insecurities.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nick2413
In SF it's Camry's. Camry's everywhere, tailgating, weaving in and out of freeway traffic at 90 mph - I find the old *thumbs down* works best, hit's them right in the insecurities.
Camry, Prius, WRX, EVO, trucks, and yes even Minivans. They all have something to prove, or... state their envy.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:20 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Camry, Prius, WRX, EVO, trucks, and yes even Minivans. They all have something to prove, or... state their envy.
In Florida, the only car category I can definitely without a doubt tag as Porsche haters are large pickups with rednecks behind the wheel. They tailgate, cut you off and just act like morons in general. Deal with them every day. One of these idiots rear ended my -09 C4S after being right up against my rear bumper for about a mile in heavy traffic.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:01 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I find myself actually driving more "politely" in the 997 than in my MB CLS daily driver
Reason is that I already anticipate more people behaving like ***** when they come across a Porsche, espcially one that is being driven fast/aggressively.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:46 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Found the clip, it's classic!

Quick Reply: Quirky observations about your Porsche