Sponsored by:

Parts Marketplace needed advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Cross post...

Here is a pic from his photo bucket account...

http://s1354.photobucket.com/albums/q687/ronrobins/

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...TguanBn/?ref=1

If anyone can tie license plate to an address....
Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

https://forums.quattroworld.com/tt2/msgs/39647.phtml

https://forums.quattroworld.com/tt2/msgs/39662.phtml

https://member.audiclubna.org/articl...audi-s3-winner
Old 08-22-2018, 12:52 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

great info. Thanks. Do you think the police would help out in this situation?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:11 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys,
Until now, scams have been fairly uncommon. Sadly that time has passed. I will create sub-forum to marketplace for Buyer and Seller feedback. Hopefully exposure will prevent more of us being taken in by scammers.

Best,

I'd like to offer an additional solution that works much better as well.

Feedback forums are nice but they do very little to stop the majority of scamming. In this case, the person was scammed by being contacted via PM by a person which is something nobody can completely guard against. You have to use common sense that if a stranger PMs you to go to email and then requests non traceable and non fraud protected funds... maybe thats not a good idea. Feedback forums could be ok for helping that a bit I guess but..

The limitation of feedback forums are that the forum search engines are notoriously finicky so you end up using Google to search for feedback and often single posts about a user on a particular forum are not going to be easily identified on Google. This leaves you stuck scrolling through pages of Forum Feedback. This becomes a real problem if the forum actually becomes well utilized as people post many positive and negative experiences. There's just too much information to scroll through.

So what actually works? You simply require all members selling in a classified section to post a picture of the item that includes in the photo a written message containing the date of the for sale advertisement, the item advertised, the persons username, and the word "rennlist"...

https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/sale...e-section.html

Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 08-22-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:18 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Mike this is a clear solution. I’ve seen this before on other forums as well. Hopefully Rennlist will see the benefit in implementing this best practice.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

My advice would be CAUTIOUS of anyone demanding friends and family on PP.

I no longer use friends and family - *(unless it is someone I know well).

If I use PayPal to buy an item I just gross up the amount so the seller nets the same amount for the sale. (I did this with 21212 and he returned the funds... I guess he didn't want PayPal going after him for items he didn't have...)
Old 08-22-2018, 01:41 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Yea I’m definitely on board going forward. Truly any purchase that I’ve made from Rennlist Parts Marketplace I’ve paid PayPal F/F. Costly lesson learned.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by Holdens
My advice would be CAUTIOUS of anyone demanding friends and family on PP.

I no longer use friends and family - *(unless it is someone I know well).

If I use PayPal to buy an item I just gross up the amount so the seller nets the same amount for the sale. (I did this with 21212 and he returned the funds... I guess he didn't want PayPal going after him for items he didn't have...)
+1

I always request F&F but never demand it and always give the buyer the option to send via regular PayPal by adding 4%. Any seller not willing to receive the payment via a normal PayPal transaction when he'd net the same amount with the 4% increase is not a legitimate seller and you shouldn't buy from them.

The same goes for requests for Google payments, bank fund transfers, and Western Union - nothing is rare enough where you have to risk the money to do a transaction that way, but those are the parts the scammers target and then price them just low enough where you want to act quickly to not miss out - things like tinted Saratoga tops, carbon buckets, certain wheel brands (RUF, HRE, etc), full power adaptive plus sport seats, etc
Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Heres my 2 cents:
As a long time seller on Ebay and an occasional Porsche part buyer/seller, and seller of at least 6 of my Porsches on RL over the past 12 years, when it comes to a deposit or parts payment, I always insist on a Family/Friends payment when dealing with people I do not know - Why? Because I have been ripped off by all sorts of people claiming they didn't receive their package especially European buyers.
Paypal will not help sellers when it comes to International Claims and there is a lot of hoop-jumping trying to get money refunded when it comes to USA sales if buyer is scammy.
1. The tracking system with packages going thru European customs is inconsistent/worthless and it's fingers crossed if you will get any assistance.
2. Some people out there(thankfully not many but only takes 1)are scammy b_stards who want refund and will resort to things like claiming they sent a part back to you, sending tracking number of said return package to Paypal, when the package they sent was a notebook or rock instead of the part paid for. Basically stealing your part from you with no recourse.

Yes this stuff happens - Not a lot but sellers need to protect themselves too.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys,
Until now, scams have been fairly uncommon. Sadly that time has passed. I will create sub-forum to marketplace for Buyer and Seller feedback. Hopefully exposure will prevent more of us being taken in by scammers.

Best,
Here's the link to that subforum - https://rennlist.com/forums/buyer-an...l#post15236889

Quick Reply: Parts Marketplace needed advice