991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.2 - DONE! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.2 - DONE!

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.2 - DONE!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:47 AM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.2 - DONE!

Consolidating all updated info into this initial thread. Thanks to the members who've already installed the kits and shared their photos on this thread.
There are 2 Adapter Kits Available for the 997.2. I've prepared a selection guide and additional info below which should help if you are considering this mod.
Thanks for viewing and please feel free to email [email protected] or PM me with any questions.

Pricing:
KIT A = $239 Shipped to Cont. USA
KIT B = $239 Shipped to Cont. USA
To order please send me your email address and I will forward you a PayPal invoice. International Orders are handles vie eBay's Global Shipping Program.
(Not applicable to vehicles with Porsche GTS, GT3, GT2, Speedster, Turbo or Aftermarket front bumper)

Parts are made in the USA using machines and material produced in the USA.

The OEM Spoiler to be used with this mod is part number is 991505525011E0 and can be sourced from your favorite Porsche Parts supplier.

If you have a 997.2 the Adapter Kit Options can be found on this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...97-2-done.html

For those interested in how the idea of these adapters came about; in 2015 I posted the first use of this 991 Spoiler on a 997.2 albeit using a much more difficult process at the time
Earlier this year I had to replace the spoiler, and decided to design a system using adapters to create a more professional, long lasting and reusable approach.
The original thread can be found in my DIY list here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...iy-thread.html

I know a lot of people who followed my initial thread used screws to mount the spoiler but I didnít want to go this route because:
  1. a lot of unnecessary holes in the bumper
  2. if the spoiler gets pulled again it could strip the screws out the bumper meaning new holes would be needed to reinstall
  3. several people reported puncturing the windshield washer fluid line which runs directly above where the spoiler mounts
This project has been ongoing for a long time, but my 991 Style Rear Splitter project took priority. Now that those are complete, I finally had time to finish this.
With a few more tools at my disposal than I had a few years ago, I designed a set of 6 strong & lightweight clip adapters which basically convert the 991 clip assembly layout to the exact layout of the 997.2.

I made it in 6 parts to ease the installation process as it allows you to easily deal with the curvature differences one section at a time. The 991 spoiler now easily conforms to the correct curvature of the 997.2 bumper.

Standard 991 clip design/layout below (note with outermost clips removed as they are not needed on the 997):

997.2 Clip Adapters Installed:

The picture below shows how the adapter works:

To secure the two end wings I created some custom supports with a matching profile, sweeping up toward the body to provide a nice integrated look. This area will only be seen if you are either lying down next to the car. or approaching from a distance at such an angle that you can nearly see the underside. The 'wings' themselves don't really need any structural support once the clip adapters are mounted to the main spoiler section, but you don't want them flapping about under there. The supports are easily secured with 3M tape as can be seen below.

Finally some pics of the install:

Note that I again used Trim-Lok D-shape rubber trim in between the spoiler and body (as shown in the pics below). This just finishes everything off nicely as the trim-lok is an exact color match with the spoiler.

Update 17 Aug

To finish off the project, I made some small locking clips which insert into the slots of the 997.2 bumper after the adapter is installed.
These locking clips ensure that the adapters cannot slide in their slots over time due to road induced vibration.

Although the design of the Adapter Clip, lower lip already provides additional rigidity to the spoiler, I also added some clips to further resist rearward deflection of the spoiler at high speeds. These have the same effect as the bracing I used in the first version of the project back in 2015.
For those unfamiliar with the design, the 991 bumper engages 3 triangular tabs on the 991 spoiler which resist deflection at high speeds.

Important Update 21 Dec 2018

Iíve had 2 customers with lowered cars and one with a very steep driveway that had the wing supports (which are non-structural) detach due to frequent impacts of the spoiler against the ground.

The OEM spoiler is supported by the 6 main adapter clips which carry the full load of the spoiler and are extremely robust. This has been validated by those members whoíve had the scraping issue; these adapters can take a lot of abuse.

The Wing Supports by comparison were intended mostly for cosmetics and to keep the 991 Spoiler Wings from flapping about freely by pinning them against the underside of the bumper. As they were not supporting any meaningful weight the default approach is to attach them with the pre-applied 3M VHB Tape. This method is very reliable provided:
  1. the area is cleaned and prepped correctly before applying the tape
  2. the spoiler isnít prone to frequent impacts or scraping
The picture below shows what forces are placed on the wing supports due to spoiler impacts:

The good news is that the 991 OEM spoiler is very flexible and can definitely withstand a lot of scraping without damage (except cosmetic scrapes on the underside which are usually not visible)

For those members who do not have a way to easily avoid such scrapes I decided to create a bolt on version of the Wing Supports,
These are the same design but use a well nut with a hex cap stainless steel bolt, and provide a very strong solution that will withstand even regular scraping. (see pics below)

This requires a hole to be drilled for each of the 2 wing supports, but this can be done easily and safely.

Last edited by EMC2; 01-11-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: updated to v2
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 AM
Hatzenbach
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very cool!
just to make sure it got it right, you made these adapters yourself - right? 3D printed?
are you planning to sell them? if yes, consider me*very* iinterested

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 08-07-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:29 AM
slicky rick
Addict
Rennlist Member

so true. iv done the srews and for sure iv hit the heaaldight washer line. not too important as the washers still work although water is also coming out undreneath the bumper.. lets see how this thing goes. emc youv done it again. cheers to you bro
Old 08-07-2018, 01:39 AM
cgaites
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you end up producing more of these to sell, then consider me a customer.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 AM
Presto
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another customer here. Just take my money!!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:52 PM
chuuey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also a customer...
Old 08-07-2018, 05:53 PM
JQ911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just bought the 991 lip. Good thing I haven't trimmed it yet to flatten the top. Subscribed and if you are selling, i am a customer.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:18 PM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all
I didn't realize so many members were still waiting to add the 991 spoiler, as many had done it since the initial thread back in 2015.

I can definitely produce more. Just have to confirm what would be a reasonable price, as it takes a long time to produce these the right way. Will provide an update ASAP.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Robocop305
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may be interested too. Good job!!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 AM
dasswerd
User

Iíd be in for a set as well.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:02 AM
ahoy_mateys
User

In here as well! What did you use to fix the adapters onto the lip?
Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM
amplitude
User

Definitely interested!
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM
mcfisticuffs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mod budget is currently tight due to new house / gf... but this is definitely on the list!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 PM
EG997C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

In for a set as well!
Old 08-08-2018, 09:47 PM
BLIIITZ
New User

This is what I've been waiting for... I'm in too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: