Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Brombacher Sport Muffler (Sound Version)

Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 PM
tsteph12
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FVD Brombacher Sport Muffler (Sound Version)

My 09 C2S, manual, is just a bit too quiet for me as a weekend driver. I’ve been in contact with Rhonda from FVD and she recommended their Sport Muffler (Sound Version). Description says 40% louder than stock and that seems a nice compromise. Musical, but not over the top loud. Does anyone here have just this set up? If so, what are your impressions? Was told this could be added without removing rear bumper, which would be my preference.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9972500...d-version.html
Old 08-06-2018, 11:31 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

I had that exact system on my car for a few weeks and I really did like it. The sound was aggressive, but not obnoxious.
I actually sold it to a fellow Rennlister because I had an offer I could not refuse, to install the system I really wanted from the beginning (FVD-Brombacher 997.2 Street-Sport Muffler) which you can see in this video.
The one you posted would still be my 2nd choice. I just preferred the sound, and weight gain benefits of the Street-Sport.

I can assure you the audio on this video below is a very accurate representation of reality. I've had mine installed for almost 3 years now.

Cant go wrong either way. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 AM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this and love it.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:41 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tsteph12
My 09 C2S, manual, is just a bit too quiet for me as a weekend driver. I’ve been in contact with Rhonda from FVD and she recommended their Sport Muffler (Sound Version). Description says 40% louder than stock and that seems a nice compromise. Musical, but not over the top loud. Does anyone here have just this set up? If so, what are your impressions? Was told this could be added without removing rear bumper, which would be my preference.

This is only the side muffler. When you click the link above and goto multimedia, the video is with their side muffler + center muffler bypass.
Either way you cant go wrong with FVD, i think they make the best sounding exhaust options for porsche. Too bad its not a very popular option among here maybe due to lack of marketing?? Everyone seems to go the fabspeed route which in my opinion takes away the characteristic porsche sound and replaces with a american v8 type growl.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:45 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
I had that exact system on my car for a few weeks and I really did like it. The sound was aggressive, but not obnoxious.
I actually sold it to a fellow Rennlister because I had an offer I could not refuse, to install the system I really wanted from the beginning (FVD-Brombacher 997.2 Street-Sport Muffler) which you can see in this video.
The one you posted would still be my 2nd choice. I just preferred the sound, and weight gain benefits of the Street-Sport.

I can assure you the audio on this video below is a very accurate representation of reality. I've had mine installed for almost 3 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsPM3qqt0yQ

Did you have the PDK? FVD site mentions that its not recommended with the PDK. Could you share your comments with regard to any drone or rasp while cruising on highways, city streets?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

I take it no PSE since you're shopping mufflers. Chances are that even with some kind of after market mufflers you still won't be happy. Why? Because on the .2 cars you still have the big, heavy and very restrictive center muffler setting you back. I drove a 2010 C4S with PSE and was disappointed with the exhaust so I can see why so many PSE owners replace the center muffler with one of several cross pipe systems to get the exhaust note that matches the car. Or get the full Tubi exhaust which includes mufflers AND cross pipes. Had that on my -09 C4S and loved it. Almost stock quiet below 3,000 rpm so you won't **** off the neighbors in the morning but above that, a whole different story.

Lots of options here. On the .1 cars, after market mufflers alone did the job since there was no center muffler. On the .2 - in my opinion - no matter which path you choose, that center muffler has to go. After market mufflers alone won't do it if you're looking for better exhaust music. I have these on my GTS http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

May seem like a steep price for two pipes but worth it to me. Intoxicating sound from about 3,800 rpm and above along with the PSE mufflers.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 AM
ahoy_mateys
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I just picked up FVD's quiet version 2nd hand from Emtell and I believe it may be the perfect exhaust. Really opens up under power, but won't drone on freeway and normal driving. I'll see if I can get you some videos for reference. Only thing I could wish for will be a little more bass in the lower frequencies and overrun burble. Besides that, Won't regret it.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Yes I have a PDK. There was a bit of drone to begin with (around 2700 RPM), but you can easily work around it with a bit of throttle management. Also I should say that my 911 is not a DD, so the upside of the aggressive yet pure exhaust sound far outweighed the drone issue.
After a few thousand miles on the exhaust the drone seems to be almost non existent.

Regarding the first system you posted I forgot to mention that I had that one installed with a Sharkwerks bypass.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM
tsteph12
Advanced

Rhonda also suggested their PDK Steet-Sport is another option, louder than side mufflers alone. She noted that the PDK package will work well with manual transmission 997.2’s as well.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9972900...rombacher.html

She felt their even louder Street-Sport muffler here would likely be “too much” regarding volume for neighbors and around town, and best suited for track.

Last edited by tsteph12; 08-07-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Presto
Did you have the PDK? FVD site mentions that its not recommended with the PDK. Could you share your comments with regard to any drone or rasp while cruising on highways, city streets?
Rhonda also suggested their PDK Steet-Sport is another option, louder than side mufflers alone. She noted that the PDK package will work well with manual transmission 997.2’s as well.

She felt their even louder Street-Sport muffler here would likely be “too much” regarding volume for neighbors and around town, and best suited for track.

The 2nd one you list is what I have.

A while back I recorded a couple of audio clips attached at the bottom of this thread this is from inside the cabin (best to listen with headphones or good speakers). I was manipulating the throttle to highlight the different sounds. The system is incredible. Very pure and aggressive.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/92...cher`.html

The following users liked this post:
ohmyggg (12-24-2021)
Old 08-07-2018, 02:29 PM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got BES 997 290 00S2 on my 997.2 S PDK and it is loud. So loud that I contacted Rhonda about other options (she is awesome and very responsive BTW). I ended up sourcing used OEM parts and played around with various combinations but I ended up keeping the full FVD setup on the car. At times it can drone. At times it screams. The transition from below 4k to above 4k can be harsh. From 6k to redline it sounds awesome though. Since it isn't my DD I deal with it and more often than not I appreciate the sound.
The following users liked this post:
fluxdon (03-27-2024)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsPM3qqt0yQ

I love this sound... along with Dansk
Old 08-07-2018, 04:35 PM
tsteph12
Advanced

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I take it no PSE since you're shopping mufflers. Chances are that even with some kind of after market mufflers you still won't be happy. Why? Because on the .2 cars you still have the big, heavy and very restrictive center muffler setting you back. I drove a 2010 C4S with PSE and was disappointed with the exhaust so I can see why so many PSE owners replace the center muffler with one of several cross pipe systems to get the exhaust note that matches the car. Or get the full Tubi exhaust which includes mufflers AND cross pipes. Had that on my -09 C4S and loved it. Almost stock quiet below 3,000 rpm so you won't **** off the neighbors in the morning but above that, a whole different story.

Lots of options here. On the .1 cars, after market mufflers alone did the job since there was no center muffler. On the .2 - in my opinion - no matter which path you choose, that center muffler has to go. After market mufflers alone won't do it if you're looking for better exhaust music. I have these on my GTS http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

May seem like a steep price for two pipes but worth it to me. Intoxicating sound from about 3,800 rpm and above along with the PSE mufflers.
You are correct, no PSE on my mine. I sure appreciate everyone's input.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:55 PM
tsteph12
Advanced

After considering options and reviewing online reviews, went with the FVD Street-Sport PDK system. Was installed late yesterday. I am extremely pleased with result so far. IMO, this system strikes a nice balance between low profile and something wicked this way comes. Below 3k RPM, it's quite demure and does not call any unwanted attention. Rev it higher, and this thing just trumpets, like the Zimmer horn warning the coming of God. It's that good!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Congrats - good choice! Enjoy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher Sport Muffler (Sound Version)