Vinyl wrap

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by repguyMN
pretty impressive Petza914! Do you do your own painting? Nice collection as well!!
Thanks a lot. I do not - I had a guy who owned his own collision repair shop that did excellent and reasonably priced paint work (think I paid about $5k for the pink pearl 997 paint job). I do all the disassembly (bumpers, lights, mirrors, doors, etc) and take him the car and the parts, and he would do the body work, prep, and painting, then I bring it all back home and put it back together.

Unfortunately, he sold out to a Body Shop Chain, and is the General Manager instead of the Owner, but they're now setting his prices, telling him which materials he can use, and doing cost control - the Widebody Turbo S Cayenne conversion with color change, just finished a few months ago, being the swan song under his private ownership, so now I need to find a new guy who can do this type of high-end work for me at reasonable prices.

I've told him to open a new shop on his own, but don't know if he'll do that or not.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:51 AM
eZg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Crap Petza.....what paint color is the 911?? And what ballpark was the price of the repaint? (Sorry if it's uncouth to ask)\

Diff vinyls yield diff results. I have heard satin and matte are easier to wrap without distorting the colors like a gloss will.

I found a "White aluminium satin" by 3M that I loved.

Google searches of finished wraps are great for getting an idea of full effect. Samples of all sizes are available for minimal cost as well.

Last edited by eZg; 08-07-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eZg
Holy Crap Petza.....what paint color is the 911?? And what ballpark was the price of the repaint? (Sorry if it's uncouth to ask)\

Diff vinyls yield diff results. I have heard satin and matte are easier to wrap without distorting the colors like a gloss will.

I found a "White aluminium satin" by 3M that I loved.

Google searches of finished wraps are great for getting a feel of finished wraps. Samples of all sizes are available for minimal cost as well.
It's a custom pink pearl. The base color is almost a Pepto Bismol pink and then it has multiple coats of pearl over it which is whiter and diffuses the base color, also adding the pearliness. It looks different colors in different lighting, sometimes whiter, sometimes pinker, etc. See my post below - it was about $5k, but I did all the disassembly & reassembly.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Buzzertoy
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had 2 full wraps, one white one a beater wrap, both on a black car.
I have had 0 issues with paint peeling.
Last time it was wrap the installer mention the pain was flawless underneath.
Wraps obviously are much more resistant to minor impacts..no rock chips.
I paid 3k cdn or about 3,900 us. with a top notch installer.
A bonus is cleaning as well, they respond well to a good quality quick detailer.
Posted a couple of no so good pics but it will give you an idea.
Best of luck!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM
eZg
Intermediate

I had a paint color picked out for years until I recently priced it. PPG color and was $1,500 for base and mid coats only. Clear and ALL labor additional.

Needless to say....I am wrapping it again.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Buzzertoy
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, math! More like 2,300 usd
Since I posted again I will take this opportunity to post another bad pic. Here it is naked.
We all know the black ones are the fastest, so I keep it disguised.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the satin white and is the color I would do if I ever decided to spend the money on getting it wrapped

Originally Posted by Buzzertoy
A bonus is cleaning as well, they respond well to a good quality quick detailer.
Best of luck!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 PM
eZg
Intermediate

3M Psycho Filp vinyl
Old 08-07-2018, 01:09 PM
eZg
Intermediate

Old 08-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by eZg
Stunning!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:01 PM
eZg
Intermediate

While I do like some 'Bling'....what I REALLY liked where the orange accents. And Evoras........
Old 08-07-2018, 08:38 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
If the black car checks all the right boxes - take it apart and have it painted. Black over black is the best color to start with for a color change because you don't have to disassemble as far for it to look good (engine bay, internal roof areas when the sunroof is open, etc. I've done it twice now. I don't really care what it does to the value since I never sell the P-cars I acquire, as long as I can insure them for replacement value, and I have Agreed Value policies on all of them.

Before

​​​​​​After

Before

After
Clearly no fear of repaint. To the original poster.....wrap...no thanks.
But question........did you remove glass/ gaskets/ trims for the repaint and if so what kind of work was that. Cant see a repaint or colour change that doesn't look bad after a few years without glass/seal and trim removal.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmaternick
Clearly no fear of repaint. To the original poster.....wrap...no thanks.
But question........did you remove glass/ gaskets/ trims for the repaint and if so what kind of work was that. Cant see a repaint or colour change that doesn't look bad after a few years without glass/seal and trim removal.
No glass removed on the 997. Pano roof, windshield and rear hatch glass left in the Cayenne. Door glass removed.

Pink car was painted in 2013. That's why you start with black over black. Any tiny areas at the transition from the exterior to interior blends with the black interior and you can't see it. Engine bays left black just look dark, but not like a 3rd color, same with wheelwells that have black plastic liners.

Cayenne build thread where you can see the whole process - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/959688-misha-widebody-cayenne-957-turbo-s-project.html
Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

ok thanks...I'll have a peak at that thread. IMO any full panel (not blended) repaint requires glass and seal removal even if same colour. Inevitably the clear will peal from the tape line.Base colour may stick. It also I guess comes down to how OCD one is and I'm a 10/10.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:59 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buzzertoy
Best of luck!
Wrap makes total sense for a tracked car! but get some clear side markers. That will make a difference that costs 50.

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrap