Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Child Seat *Anchor &Tether* problem solved!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 997.2 Child Seat *Anchor &Tether* problem solved!

Hello everyone,

At long last I finally purchased my 1st Porsche a new to me 2009 997.2 Carrera. I have two children, a 2 year old and a 4 year old. I did a lot of research on Rennlist and elsewhere on forward facing child seats for the back seats. After I bought two new Britax seats, I found a horrible, intensely frustrating problem: neither my wife nor I could get the tether hook to securely clip into place onto the Anchor!

If you have not gone through this frustrating problem yourself, you have no idea how frustrating it has been. 1st there was the whole issue of finding the Anchor. As some of you now know you must actually cut through the carpet in the rear of the car behind the Bose box and remove some 1 to 2" of
foam to find the jewel of an anchor hidden underneath. After going through that hours long adventure, which included taking a knife to my near perfect new-to-me Carrera, I thought I would be done with simply clipping the tether hook with spring clip onto the anchor plate, just as we do on our other vehicles.

But NO, both my wife and I could not get the spring clip to actually release to make the connection solid. It literally took an expertly trained fireman tasked with helping installing shield seats for the city residents to figure out a *trick* which I am now happily sharing with you.

Basically, you have to have to back the rear of the tether hook plate under the lip of the Bose box and *twist/swing the anchor hook plate under the carpet* and then pull it up to the right somehow.

I will return to edit this post as I try to articulate the numerous steps I figured out with my fingers, the spring clip, and the tether hook plate. But I wanted to post these pictures so people who have been in my shoes can actually get a clue on how to get this done. My efforts with my Porchse salesman failed to get the answer as did hours of searching the Internet.

Maybe someone else who has already figured out this trick can better articulate the steps to getting the child sear tether hook to properly clip securely onto the car anchor of the 997.

Photo of *the trick* we found necessary to get the child seat anchor hook to properly secure to the 997.2 anchor. This is NOT the final step but a crucial preliminary one we found to getying the anchor hook and spring clip properly seated onto the car anchor.

Last edited by Janton9736; 08-02-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 02-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Maxsouthall
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. Very helpful - could you provide dimensions for this carpet cut ??

Hi that’s so useful thanks. Could you provide any dimensions for this carpet cut ? I’m absolutely amazed it’s not pre cut or folding ???
Originally Posted by Janton9736
Hello everyone,

At long last I finally purchased my 1st Porsche a new to me 2009 997.2 Carrera. I have two children, a 2 year old and a 4 year old. I did a lot of research on Rennlist and elsewhere on forward facing child seats for the back seats. After I bought two new Britax seats, I found a horrible, intensely frustrating problem: neither my wife nor I could get the tether hook to securely clip into place onto the Anchor!

If you have not gone through this frustrating problem yourself, you have no idea how frustrating it has been. 1st there was the whole issue of finding the Anchor. As some of you now know you must actually cut through the carpet in the rear of the car behind the Bose box and remove some 1 to 2" of
foam to find the jewel of an anchor hidden underneath. After going through that hours long adventure, which included taking a knife to my near perfect new-to-me Carrera, I thought I would be done with simply clipping the tether hook with spring clip onto the anchor plate, just as we do on our other vehicles.

But NO, both my wife and I could not get the spring clip to actually release to make the connection solid. It literally took an expertly trained fireman tasked with helping installing shield seats for the city residents to figure out a *trick* which I am now happily sharing with you.

Basically, you have to have to back the rear of the tether hook plate under the lip of the Bose box and *twist/swing the anchor hook plate under the carpet* and then pull it up to the right somehow.

I will return to edit this post as I try to articulate the numerous steps I figured out with my fingers, the spring clip, and the tether hook plate. But I wanted to post these pictures so people who have been in my shoes can actually get a clue on how to get this done. My efforts with my Porchse salesman failed to get the answer as did hours of searching the Internet.

Maybe someone else who has already figured out this trick can better articulate the steps to getting the child sear tether hook to properly clip securely onto the car anchor of the 997.

Photo of *the trick* we found necessary to get the child seat anchor hook to properly secure to the 997.2 anchor. This is NOT the final step but a crucial preliminary one we found to getying the anchor hook and spring clip properly seated onto the car anchor.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:53 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Can you not just put a screwdriver underneath there to lift it up a few millimeters?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Can you not just put a screwdriver underneath there to lift it up a few millimeters?
If you do that you are changing the angle of force applied to the anchor in an accident. Would you risk that with your kids?

Originally Posted by Maxsouthall
Hi that’s so useful thanks. Could you provide any dimensions for this carpet cut ? I’m absolutely amazed it’s not pre cut or folding ???
The outline is actually there if you look hard enough.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
If you do that you are changing the angle of force applied to the anchor in an accident. Would you risk that with your kids?
2mm or so for a little more room I'd be fine with. But then again I have no kids so rhetorical.

Rereading the OPs post it makes it sound like all he did was put it in at an angle then maneuver it to fit....
Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same conflict but decided that there wasn't enough room in the back seat when putting in the convertible child seats. Instead, I decided that I can only take my 4 yr old with me in a high back booster seat. It doesn't require tethers, utilizes the standard seat belt in back and is significantly smaller so that my kid actually has some leg room with someone sitting in front.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

Agreed. When I look at the image in the owner's manual, it sure looks like that is what is called for. I suspect there is a workshop instruction regarding bending it up slightly
Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 PM
DaveCSparty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
I had the same conflict but decided that there wasn't enough room in the back seat when putting in the convertible child seats. Instead, I decided that I can only take my 4 yr old with me in a high back booster seat. It doesn't require tethers, utilizes the standard seat belt in back and is significantly smaller so that my kid actually has some leg room with someone sitting in front.
What booster seat do you use? My son is turning 4 this summer and I think I'm going to switch out the convertible to a booster.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:57 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCSparty
What booster seat do you use? My son is turning 4 this summer and I think I'm going to switch out the convertible to a booster.
Hey Dave,

This is the booster seat I got:
Amazon Amazon

I did a lot of searching for narrow booster seats because the seats in the back don't have a lot of width available. This one was one of the narrowest I could find and just fits. Note, you will not be able to extend the cupholders for the kiddo.

There might be narrower ones out there on the market now but this was what I could find last year.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Child Seat *Anchor &Tether* problem solved!