Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 01:11 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

When Michelin dropped the ball on the rear tires for the C4S, I went with Bridgestone S-04 and I am very happy with them. I do not track my car, but for normal driving (even spirited), these tires are wonderful, very quiet, comfortable and almost half the price of the Michelin. Being French, it was hard to give up on Michelin but they were a bunch of "trou-du-cul" to not produce the C4S rear tires any longer.

Yves
Old 08-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I love dry grip but are either Nittro or Hankook quieter than the Michelins ?
I don't know as that's never been much of a concern of mine with my modified exhausts, intakes, and motors, but I do remember thinking my Michelins were unusually loud and the tires were quieter when I first installed the Nittos. It's hard to know if that was from the Michelins being worn and the Nittos being new or due to the tread design. With a 305 tires on the rear of these cars, they all thump over bridge joints and such and I have a full racing suspension in my car without any rubber bushings anymore, so they're probably even louder and transmit for surface irregularity noise up through the chassis, none of which bothers me - exhaust drone bothers me, squeaky interior trim bothers me, the other stuff, not so much as it's all about the drive and ultimate feel and performance.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the S04's and really like them. They are much quieter than the Pirelli's that were on the car and I track the car about 4 weekends per summer and I don't know how I could ask more of the tires based on their longevity and price.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default So4

SO4 are awesome
Old 08-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

You guys aren't making this easy. Here is the unofficial Poll so far.

S04 4

MPSS 3 (discontinued)

MPS4S 3

Conti EC 3

Nitto Invo 1
Hankook Evo 1

Michelin is claiming to get longer life out of the PS4S's but won't say how much. I wonder if they will last longer.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 08-01-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am a Michelin fan. Ran them on my AMG and had to order some today for the rear of my 997.2.
Plus they are the only top brand manufacturer to offer a wear warranty (that I know of) on a performance tire
Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will try to help. Went from mpss to s04. I prefered the mpss. Next time I'm going back to mp4s

better ride quality and quieter.

s04 are great as well. Good enough that I'm waiting for them to wear out before switching back to mp4s

if you read a lot of threads the majority of people prefer the mp4s for spirited street use....

good luck
Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The PS4S is "the" summer tire to have for street use. Its quiet, has a mileage warranty, has extremely good wet and dry performance, is very predictable, etc etc. Its going to win the competitions against all the other max performance summer tires.

Stepping up to a tire like an RE71R that is really more of a streetable track tire is going to get you better all out dry grip, turn-in, etc but they are LOUD tires. They literally sound like those pickups that have mudder tires on them. They are not good in standing water either.

A fantastic budget max performance summer tire is the Hankook v12 evo2. This will get you 80% of the performance of the PS4S. Its a quiet tire. It has excellent wet and dry grip, is also very predictable. It gives up slightly in responsiveness (stiffness) to the PS4S and slightly in ultimate grip. Its a great tire for the money.

Mike
Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 AM
dpwolk99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just put Hankook's on my '08 4S Cab. Grip is fine, dry and wet (I don't track), and they are quiet.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
The PS4S is "the" summer tire to have for street use. Its quiet, has a mileage warranty, has extremely good wet and dry performance, is very predictable, etc etc. Its going to win the competitions against all the other max performance summer tires....
Ditto!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the PS4S. I read some articles that said Michelin was confident that their customers would get even better mileage than the warranty offered.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM
AMitchell0039
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PS4S is "the" summer tire to have for street use. Its quiet, has a mileage warranty, has extremely good wet and dry performance, is very predictable, etc etc. Its going to win the competitions against all the other max performance summer tires.

Stepping up to a tire like an RE71R that is really more of a streetable track tire is going to get you better all out dry grip, turn-in, etc but they are LOUD tires. They literally sound like those pickups that have mudder tires on them. They are not good in standing water either.

A fantastic budget max performance summer tire is the Hankook v12 evo2. This will get you 80% of the performance of the PS4S. Its a quiet tire. It has excellent wet and dry grip, is also very predictable. It gives up slightly in responsiveness (stiffness) to the PS4S and slightly in ultimate grip. Its a great tire for the money.

Mike
+1 ^^
Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Mike
We run the Hankooks on my wife's car and I run the Invos on mine so have personal direct comparison experience. Dry grip out of the Invos is better but tire life is lower. Wet performance is similar with the nod, if there is one, going to the Hankook. I don't notice that one is noisier than the other.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:00 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I vote for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, much quieter than the N spec tires, take a while to dial in, but they seem to like higher temps to really get the grip going. I feel like they don't have as crisp turn in or braking compared to the N spec, but they seem smoother in every way.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
You guys aren't making this easy. Here is the unofficial Poll so far.

S04 4

MPSS 3 (discontinued)

MPS4S 3

Conti EC 3

Nitto Invo 1
Hankook Evo 1

Michelin is claiming to get longer life out of the PS4S's but won't say how much. I wonder if they will last longer.
If QUIET and street driving is most important, Bridgestone S04 is the best tire for you... many compare brand new tires versus old ones they took off and say they're quieter and better, which is not a surprise at all... but from anecdotes, and tire reviews of brand new tires, S04 seems to be the best for your applications, if you tracked, MPSS or Nitto, but for you S04 is definitely the right choice!

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations