Sponsored by:

New to me 997; Terrible Handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tire pressure .....

Sounds like something is definitely “off” , definitely check the tire pressure too....
Old 07-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tire pressures. My car had this floaty feeling and once I took the forums pressure advice (F32/R38 cold) and double checked with a digital gauge against the TPMS it made all of the difference in the world.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Tire pressures are easy to check, start there. I'm thinking the hydraulic filled lower control arm bushings in front are gone given the age of your car. That will definitely give you a sloppy front end. Others could be tie rods, perhaps one half of the front sway bar is loose, maybe strut tops are shot. Either way, if tire pressures do not fix it, get it on a lift with someone who knows suspensions.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a lot to check when buying a used P-car... I am sure that we all miss things that might/could show up down the road. I thought I had ~50% rear tread left when I bought my car. That was before I learned about the difference in inboard v outboard wear on the 997. Oops. Sounds like you need to visit another shop/indy and get another opinion on the front end. From your description it sounds like something is amiss. Go for a test drive with a Porsche mechanic and ask them to comment on turn-in, return to center, and free-play.

If the second mechanic says there is an issue then you may want to have a conversation with the PPI provider. They will not be happy to hear from you and you will likely get the standard "this is why I don't like doing PPI" response from the PPI provider.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

First of all, spend some money on some struts and springs and an alignment. Assess your tires and tire pressures. Take a look at your steering rods. Replace your engine mounts. This is small money and big improvements in handling/feel. I doubt your steering rack is shot. My 06 is like a new car now after this work.......I didn't need to touch the control arms or bushings or any major dollar work like that. Replacing the engine mounts is cheap and the biggest handling/steering improvement in shifting and lateral stability. The suspension swap overall made the car different and new feeling. Not sure if I went too firm but for the total invested its a new car again. If your car is 11 years old (as mine is) DO IT.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Assuming your tire pressure is ok, have someone look at your front end suspension bushings/joints and tie rods. These cars especially at speed turn in like no other.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely sounds off. Consider joining your local PCA and have someone give it a spin or let you drive theirs at the autocross or breakfast etc.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Given your description I'd probably start off by making sure it wasn't previously wrecked.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
First of all, spend some money on some struts and springs and an alignment. Assess your tires and tire pressures. Take a look at your steering rods. Replace your engine mounts. This is small money and big improvements in handling/feel. I doubt your steering rack is shot. My 06 is like a new car now after this work.......I didn't need to touch the control arms or bushings or any major dollar work like that. Replacing the engine mounts is cheap and the biggest handling/steering improvement in shifting and lateral stability. The suspension swap overall made the car different and new feeling. Not sure if I went too firm but for the total invested its a new car again. If your car is 11 years old (as mine is) DO IT.
I disagree with this. Don't just start throwing parts at the problem. As others have said, have a competent mechanic check it out and replace only what is needed.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:57 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGMS
Definitely sounds off. Consider joining your local PCA and have someone give it a spin or let you drive theirs at the autocross or breakfast etc.
Great suggestion. Having someone who is familiar with these cars (but has no financial interest) drive it should shed some light on the issue cheaply and efficiently. It definitely sounds off.
As far as the 987.2 Cayman S comparison.. I also have one of those, and while the steering is crisp and responsive, the 911 should be at least equally so.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

It is a 12 year old car that could very well have worn suspension issues or the car could have had a front end collision or front end damage and had bad repairs based on the steering input you described. I have driven many Caymans on the track and I like the steering and feel of the 911 better, especially the 997s. If you turning the wheel and getting no response, there is something wrong in the front end.

Did you not test drive it before purchase? Clean CarFax does not equate no prior damage or wrecks. There are a lot of wrecked and previously damaged cars out there with clean Car Faxes.

As far tires, those are about the cheapest you can get which is never a great idea on a high end performance car. Tires, however, won't cause what your describing at normal freeway and public street speeds.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 AM
TrojanG2
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve had those Hankook tires on a 996 C4S twice and both times they felt very sloppy for the first 200-300 miles. They started to sharpen up after that but you could feel the sidewalk compress on quick transitions and then spring back, which felt like an over correction. After about 1000 miles and enough heat cycles through the tire, that small issue faded away and the tires were pretty good.

With that said, it sounds like you’ve got something else going on with the suspension, in addition to the fresh tires. Get it looked at, quick.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

997s are outstanding handling and highly communicative cars vs. virtually anything out there. Sounds like something is wrong. Hopefully it is a relatively straightforward fix. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:41 PM
Andy Greene
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate everyone's input. I had a shop take a look at the car and the driver's side wheel has play in it--they suggested the tie rods needed to be replaced, so I'm guessing that's the culprit.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:47 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Silly question but before you spend a penny....
Have you driven another for comparison?
Has someone else, whether another owner with a similar car or dealer or qualified shop who is actually really familiar with these cars driven yours?

Quick Reply: New to me 997; Terrible Handling