Sponsored by:

2005 C2S Cab Purchase thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Sdm3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 C2S Cab Purchase thoughts

I know thoughts will be varied but wanted some opinions. I have a long time friend selling his original owner 2005 C2S cab 3.8 and replacing it with a turbo. He has offered me the car first at a great price as we both have had our share of P cars and he has another Porsche he drives too..

2005 C2S Cab Atlas Gry/Natural Brown Interior
39000 miles
Tiptronic
Fully loaded
All service done with records by Porsche
No issues at all
Build date of 03/01/2005
VIN not on lawsuit filing.

I live about 6 hours away from a P dealership and there are no shops in my small town that works on Porsches. It will be a summer car as the extended winters are not friendly to RWD. No tracking it etc just a pleasure ride. Never had a tip as all the others I had were MT but seems fine for my purposes (I hope). Know there are those that don't favor them. Understand that.

Just started looking into things. Issues I am looking at is IMS and replacement. Hear on a tip is costly and on a M97 engine may be even more. I have had pre 2009 911's and Boxsters with no issues and IMS not replaced on any of them. Can't think of any other major concern.Living in my town if something major goes wrong with it I am hosed.

Any thoughts and any thoughts in general welcomed. Many thanks.

Last edited by Sdm3; 07-18-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few thoughts -

- You didn't mention the price, which would be major factor in your decision. A "great price" can certainly mitigate any potential service issues later on - and make proactive repairs (like IMS if you choose) more palatable.
- The tips aren't my preferred transmission but they work. For me it's the engagement and fun of an MT that matters. If you're good with not shifting then it's not an issue.
- Re the IMS replacement, LOTS of opinions here about that. My own experience was owning an 05 C2S Cab for 6 years and 75K miles driven (had 95K when I sold it). Build date was close to yours: 04/05. I never had an IMS problem. Some say if the car has been driven above a certain number of miles (not sure how many) the odds of it happening are greatly diminished. I did replace the RMS at about 40K (under CPO warranty).
- Oh, I also had about 10 track days on it. When I sold it it still had original brakes and clutch. These are very solid and dependable cars IMO, even when driven "spiritedly".

Gene
Old 07-18-2018, 02:31 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Price is everything. If it is overpriced it is overpriced.
Options also factor in as a truly "fully-loaded" 911 would be $40K+ worth of options.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Sdm3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the thoughts

First price is 35k. Have known each other for 25 years and he is being generous with that price.
Tip will be a new experience but ok with it. Have had my share of MT P cars.
Can never read anything definitive about the IMS. Good build date and always driven.

As to loaded, I agree. Loaded if ordering can be very dear. Even one on the lot can be option heavy as you say. This car Atlas Gray, Ntl brown all leather, self dimming mirrors, heated seats, 19" carrera wheels, nav, wheel caps colored, bose high end, remote cd, sycamore wood package, supple leather, pwr seats, instr dial ntl brwn, lthr visor, porsche crest
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

That is a fantastic price. It most likely has the larger IMS robust bearing given the build date and not being listed as part of the lawsuit. My only concern would be the distance you need to travel for servicing but that would apply to any P car. Although i am not a TIP guy, I can't think of 35k better spent - you will feel like a million bucks winding that baby out on those stretches of So Dakota roads. Go for it.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I have an 05 911S. My build date is 10/04. My car falls into that old lawsuit. I had my clutch,flywheel and RMS replaced around 40k. I’m just over 49k at this point. When Road Scholars did the work they said that when they hooked up the computer to my car that I was within a certain threshold and they saw no reason to spend the extra $1800 to have the work done. Sorry I can’t remember the exact verbiage. They recommended that I always check the oil filter for metal shavings and that I would notice the car not running right if there was any IMS issues. I definitely drive my car very swiftly rowing thru the gears. No track days. The closest thing will be driving around VIR during the August Michelin GT Challenge IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with the other Porsche cars from the PorschePlatz Car Corral if they do it this year. Buy your friends car and put some enjoyable miles on it.

Quick Reply: 2005 C2S Cab Purchase thoughts