Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York to Nova Scotia/Cape Breton...but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Just adding more weight to the take-the-Porsche side. I've said this dozens of times, but the biggest surprise to me in my Porsche ownership is what a great road trip car it is. It's comfy, has reasonable storage space between the frunk and back seats, and generates nothing put positive vibes when you stop to gas up. Gas mileage is respectable, and if you have the time and inclination to find some twisty back roads in the way to your destination, you can enjoy it that way too! Take a tire plug kit, get AAA platinum roadside service or something similar, make sure your cell phone is fully charged, and just enjoy. Make sure to post numerous pics here so those of us on RL can be jealous as heck! Break of luck.
T
Old 08-22-2018, 11:31 AM
dpwolk99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My sincere thanks to this forum and to all who gave encouragement and information to take my '08 997 4S Cab instead of my Subaru Forester to Nova Scotia. Just returned after two weeks and 2300 miles and the trip was wonderful. Let me give some details, about the trip, about things I learned that may help others and the car which was a lovely.

Drove from NY to Portland, ME and took the Cat Ferry to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia (over $300 roundtrip) --- saves about 500 miles of driving each way. It does not save much time as the crossing is 5 1/2 hours and the several hours of waiting before getting going. Helpful tip. If you take this ferry, get there early and try to be one fo the first cars in line. Doesn't much matter when starting but being first to go through customes takes little time. Last off the ferry can take hours more! Same on the return trip. The crossing is long but pleasant.

From Yarmouth to Cape Breton and Inverness in one day. I thought I might take two days for the 8 hour trip but the drive was great, comfortable and seemed like it took 4 hours. Inverness for me was Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs, two of the worlds great golf courses. A bit out of the way for sure but fantastic. Four days there and then the Cabot Trail.

One of the great roads in the world circumnavigates much of Cape Breton along the coast. Through coastal mountains and along the water, fine views, hills and valleys, steep and flat, strait and curvy, a great ride. The one caveat is that there is a lot of road construction in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. And they will close one lane of a two lane road for 3 Kilometers and stop traffic for 10 or fifteen minutes each way. Happened five or six times so next year will be better...

The roads are ok throughout Nova Scotia, but not perfect so you do have to pay attention.

Drove back down to Halifax, met my wife and drove north to visit friends. And after a a few days, my wife flew back to NY and I drove back 7 hours from Portland, ME after the ferry.

The one issue with the car is a known issue (now it's known by me too...) that has been written about in the forums---slow cranking. Starting in the morning or after any length of rest was not a problem. But some days, temperature was in the 80s, driving and stopping frequently --- extremely slow cranking. Very slow at times. But somehow never failed. Actually read up on it in the forums when I was there, relaxed a bit and changed my driving a little. Before the trip replaced my battery with an Interstate 800 CCA so that was not a problem and probably made the difference. Now I'm back will take care of this.

Would not have taken the Porsche without your support. My sincere thanks...

Old 08-22-2018, 11:48 AM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Great write up and pics. Glad you enjoyed taking the car!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:23 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no substitute! The scenery looks fantastic, thank you for sharing.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM
dpwolk99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two more bits I meant to post:
1) Tire pressure 33/39 for most of the trip was perfect...
2) Radar detectors are illegal in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton and almost all of Canada
(although i hear that police have stopped crushing them underfoot before giving out tickets...).
Old 08-23-2018, 05:10 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Did Denver to Cincinatti round trip in my '09 C2 this last July; car ran flawlessly. A long distance road trip is easy miles on the car... Great way to stretch it's legs!

Quick Reply: New York to Nova Scotia/Cape Breton...but...