Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child seat tether - getting the hook in and out Nightmare! Any advice?

Old 07-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Child seat tether - getting the hook in and out Nightmare! Any advice?

I just bought a new-to-me 2009 c2. I m having a hell of a time getting the rear child seat teacher hooks properly onto the back tether,
located on the shelf behind the Bose box. It is quite a bear! In fact, using our old car seats from my wife’s car we could barely get the hook in, but somehow my wife was able to do it, though I could not. It was such a pain getting the tether hook on and off that I bought new car seats so we could drastically reduce the times needed to take them in and out( I plan on tracking the car in the pca DE program and will need to take the seats out then),

So, any advice on getting the child seat tether seat hook onto and off of the rear tether anchor? Would taking out the the Bose box help? (And how is that don??) Advice appreciated!

Jeff
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,125 Likes on 3,901 Posts

A couple other options might be to
  1. get a shackle or similar from a hardware store, put that around the hook of the car and then have something more readily accessible to fasten the car seat hook to
  2. or if the seat is designed as such, to pull the car seat belt all the way out to put it into ratchet tightening mode, route it through the seat, and secure the car seat using the vehicle seat belt, which depending on your car seat model may not require the top tether at all
if you do decide to pull the sub, it's pretty easy aside from the restrictive quarters you'll be working in.
  1. First fold down the rear seats
  2. I think you may have to remove the shoulder bolts that the seat latches catch on when in the up position, but you can save these for last in case that's unnecessary
  3. remove the thin plastic rings around the woofer ports by gently prying them off
  4. then there are screws that hold the plastic sound channels in - remove those and slide the channels out
  5. then you'll have access to the larger bolts that hold the subwoofer box in place. Not a bad idea to have one of those thin magnetic screw retrievers in the area of the screws you're removing so they don't fall down
Old 07-18-2018, 05:33 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Try a real mountain climbing carabiner, not a novelty or keychain one. If it's built to hold the weight of an adult falling from a mountain....
Old 07-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can you take a picture of the situation. I've had a child seat in my 997.1 C2S with no problem. Like recommended above i used threaded shackles, but attached to eye bolts on the seat belt anchors on the seat. I don't recall problems with the top tether. I've shared pictures of my set up previously on this forum... i'll see if i can find them.

My kids are older now, so nothing needed.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 AM
bloomjbmw
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Janton9736
I just bought a new-to-me 2009 c2. I m having a hell of a time getting the rear child seat teacher hooks properly onto the back tether,
located on the shelf behind the Bose box. It is quite a bear! In fact, using our old car seats from my wife’s car we could barely get the hook in, but somehow my wife was able to do it, though I could not. It was such a pain getting the tether hook on and off that I bought new car seats so we could drastically reduce the times needed to take them in and out( I plan on tracking the car in the pca DE program and will need to take the seats out then),

So, any advice on getting the child seat tether seat hook onto and off of the rear tether anchor? Would taking out the the Bose box help? (And how is that don??) Advice appreciated!

Jeff
I agree, it is pain. Curious to see if anyone has found an easy fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Child seat tether - getting the hook in and out Nightmare! Any advice?