Extended warranty plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 PM
marucus1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended warranty plan

how many company out there that will honor a 997
so far only fidelity (that i know of) but not sure at what mileage car are they will honor.
just called endurance auto warranty and they will honor any 911 that has less than 50k miles and the cost is $5200 for 4 year with 48k miles
thanks
Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 AM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a SafeGuard Platinum Plan for my 2009 997.2 with 50k miles for $5000 earlier this year. 5yr/60k mile bumper bumper coverage.

May or may not be worth the money, only time will tell I guess.

But for my peace of mind, it has already paid for itself, IMO.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Endurance quoted me $4000 for 3 years/36k miles on my 2009 C2S with 53K miles. My problem with that quote is I only drive 4K miles per year.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

I have had several people with aftermarket warranties disappointed when it comes to big ticket repairs, like an engine. They either want to put in used or go with an eBay budget "rebuild" rather than doing it right. The limits for coverage for repairs are a % of the value of the vehicle, so be sure to read all the fine print. They will also try to find a way to void your warranty, so don't track it or autocross the car. We had one individual contact us about repairing his engine and the insurance company found that he tracked the car once years ago and voided his warranty.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I have had several people with aftermarket warranties disappointed when it comes to big ticket repairs, like an engine. They either want to put in used or go with an eBay budget "rebuild" rather than doing it right. The limits for coverage for repairs are a % of the value of the vehicle, so be sure to read all the fine print. They will also try to find a way to void your warranty, so don't track it or autocross the car. We had one individual contact us about repairing his engine and the insurance company found that he tracked the car once years ago and voided his warranty.
^^^This. These extended warranties are nearly worthless on a car older than 5 or 6 years. They are boondoggles for insurance companies, based on nervous owners. High end sports and exotic cars are not for the faint of heart or wallet. As I tell my children and clients, insurance companies are your best friend so long as claims are small (in which case you didn't need it to begin with) and your worst enemy when claims are large. Service contracts are essentially insurance contracts.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

I have Fidelity platinum, I have had several repairs and all have been covered. In fact my water pump was leaking and they are covering the repair. No Hassle my mechanic call them and they approve.

1. Cup Holder
2. Starter Cable(major)
3. Water Pump
4. misc..

They even covered cup-holder and Starter together for only one deuctible payment... Peace of mind was worth it to me....
Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I have West Coast Assurance purchased it thru BMW dealership when I purchased the car with 68000 miles on the clock 2009. 36 months or 36000 miles for around 5250.00 already covered 2000 dollars worth of work from the Porsche dealer ship peace of mind for the time being.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
^^^This. These extended warranties are nearly worthless on a car older than 5 or 6 years. They are boondoggles for insurance companies, based on nervous owners. High end sports and exotic cars are not for the faint of heart or wallet. As I tell my children and clients, insurance companies are your best friend so long as claims are small (in which case you didn't need it to begin with) and your worst enemy when claims are large. Service contracts are essentially insurance contracts.
Fidelity covered a manual transmission replacement and reseal of leaking left side cam cover that amounted to over $12k worth of work on my 2008 997. My mechanic had no issues getting it through their claims dept. In my experience, getting fidelity coverage was not a worthless addition.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31

Fidelity covered a manual transmission replacement and reseal of leaking left side cam cover that amounted to over $12k worth of work on my 2008 997. My mechanic had no issues getting it through their claims dept. In my experience, getting fidelity coverage was not a worthless addition.

Very nice. I'd have no problem with the warranty company putting a used engine in the car. Id almost prefer that as opposed to someone opening up this one. Used engines with install could run 15K or more easily so if that gets covered i'd be cool.

Consider carmax as well for buying a car. I bought an audi from them and only went with their 30 day free warranty. In the first 30 days I heard what I thought was timing chain rattle. They replaced all the timing chains, tensioners, guides with OEM audi parts. Then I got an underboost code. Brand new factory turbo with manifold put on for free. Then I brought it back in for the same engine rattle and it turned out it was a rod bearing. The put in an engine that I picked from a newer car that had updated parts that tend to go bad. All this was completely free of charge and on their free warranty. Im being totally serious.

mike
Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I extended my Easycare warranty for another 3 years when it was running out this year. I have been happy with them - they work with the dealer and I don't think PNA or my service guys at the dealer are going to do something wonky to save money. At least they have not yet.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:43 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to be a non-believer in extended warranties of any kind. I still am on "normal cars", electronics, etc. However the 997 long-term ownership experience was an unknown in my mind, and I purchased the unused portion of the previous owner's Carmax warranty, which is of the exclusionary type. A couple little things have been taken care of already, no hassles whatsoever, resulting in a current benefit of about 40% of what I paid. It doesn't take a big repair to result in a big repair invoice! I still have 3 years of coverage to go.... Glad I opted for it in this specific case, if for nothing else but peace of mind.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I've been debating a warranty for my 2012 TTS. Mainly due to the PDK cost to replace.

I'd be Livid if I paid for a warranty and they wouldn't cover the cost to replace.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:23 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Very nice. I'd have no problem with the warranty company putting a used engine in the car. Id almost prefer that as opposed to someone opening up this one. Used engines with install could run 15K or more easily so if that gets covered i'd be cool.

Consider carmax as well for buying a car. I bought an audi from them and only went with their 30 day free warranty. In the first 30 days I heard what I thought was timing chain rattle. They replaced all the timing chains, tensioners, guides with OEM audi parts. Then I got an underboost code. Brand new factory turbo with manifold put on for free. Then I brought it back in for the same engine rattle and it turned out it was a rod bearing. The put in an engine that I picked from a newer car that had updated parts that tend to go bad. All this was completely free of charge and on their free warranty. Im being totally serious.

mike
agree, and I would not think any warranty company would pay to have a rebuild done, LN or otherwise, nor would I expect them to. Repairing it "right" means different things to different people, all based on the cost.

bhvrdr, that's pretty impressive, they def lost money on that deal..
I used our carmax warranty on my wife's old murano many times and it paid for itself at least 3 times over.. very hassle free.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:44 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin

agree, and I would not think any warranty company would pay to have a rebuild done, LN or otherwise, nor would I expect them to. Repairing it "right" means different things to different people, all based on the cost.

bhvrdr, that's pretty impressive, they def lost money on that deal..
I used our carmax warranty on my wife's old murano many times and it paid for itself at least 3 times over.. very hassle free.

You're giving me the opportunity to tell you just how positive of an experience it was too. Honestly it was some of the best customer service I have ever received. The carmax service advisor was clearly mandated to call me every single day to give updates...and he did. My car was probably there a total of 2.5 months for all these repairs and I got a call every single day letting me know exactly what they were doing.

The crazy thing is that the service advisor literally acted pleased to take the car in and get it repaired right for me each time. Never a single hesitation or attempt to put off blame on others somehow like I have experienced with actual manufacturer car dealerships before.

The even crazier part is that the year of engines that my car had were know to have some more defective parts from the factory. It took me writing a letter but I actuall convinced Carmax to put in a newer generation engine in my car that required adaptation of a few parts to fit in the car. This was completely a non standard request and honestly any dealership would have said heck no where they going to put in a technically incompatible engine, but Carmax did it. I sent them a letter and some internet postings from guys who had adapted the newer engines to the car and Carmax did it all. Didnt get charged a dime.

I dont work for them or get paid by them but I do consider myself a loyal supporter now. They really treated me right.

Mike
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
You're giving me the opportunity to tell you just how positive of an experience it was too. Honestly it was some of the best customer service I have ever received. The carmax service advisor was clearly mandated to call me every single day to give updates...and he did. My car was probably there a total of 2.5 months for all these repairs and I got a call every single day letting me know exactly what they were doing.

The crazy thing is that the service advisor literally acted pleased to take the car in and get it repaired right for me each time. Never a single hesitation or attempt to put off blame on others somehow like I have experienced with actual manufacturer car dealerships before.

The even crazier part is that the year of engines that my car had were know to have some more defective parts from the factory. It took me writing a letter but I actuall convinced Carmax to put in a newer generation engine in my car that required adaptation of a few parts to fit in the car. This was completely a non standard request and honestly any dealership would have said heck no where they going to put in a technically incompatible engine, but Carmax did it. I sent them a letter and some internet postings from guys who had adapted the newer engines to the car and Carmax did it all. Didnt get charged a dime.

I dont work for them or get paid by them but I do consider myself a loyal supporter now. They really treated me right.

Mike
thats a great story.. I can't imagine any shop doing that, good on you! I know there's a guy on the turbo forum that bought a TTS from carmax that got a bunch of stuff fixed during the 5 day buyback period.. he was pretty happy with them as well..

Quick Reply: Extended warranty plan