Sponsored by:

Black A/C vents

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Black A/C vents

So I finished off another little mod to get a step closer to my all black interior. I had the A/C vents painted in piano black to match the center stack.
It took my paint guy over 1 hour per vent to get everything ready for painting but I love the way they have come out, he said if he tried to pull them apart he will break some of the clips that hold the silver piece of the vent onto the body.
Getting them out of the dash was easy, I just used two metal picks, pulled down on the tabs and gently pulled away from the dash so as not to damage the leather. It had also been bothering me that the adjusters were broken, I had to use a pencil on the two side vents if I wanted to adjust the lateral movement, of course the small plastic clip is not a part you can order from Porsche and after seeing second hand vents cost upward of $80 each, I though I would knock up a couple of them with my 3d printer.
So everything turned out as it should, vents move as they should and at the fraction of the cost!

Before

After

clips for removing the vent

Fitted

3D print clip for adjuster

Adjuster missing

Adjuster fitted
Old 07-03-2018, 03:37 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

I like the 3D printing. When I was doing my upgrade from the charcoal colored vent surrounds on a base to the alumalook on the S, I bought so damaged ones and swapped. If I recall correctly, it was a gigantic pita to swap them. I think I broke only one tab, figured worst case I'd glue them all back together but there was no need. If you make more of those 3D vent movers, I'll take some off your hands
Old 07-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow, much better. I'm partial to the understated look. Might have to look into doing this to mine.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:43 PM
stanleymorton
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you use to paint the center panel and did you do it yourself? I really love the all Black look you have done.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM
Aolszowy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That piano black does look great! If you do print up any more of the adjusters i’d Be happy to buy a few; I have the same issue with all of my vents. 😡
Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 AM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice. I never liked the silver trim in my car.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:30 AM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

Very nice and a job well done. I really like the blackout look and you've now got me thinking. I also have access to a 3D printer at work so I've made a mental note to keep that in mind if I have broken bits that need replacing. Thanks for the post and the pictures as this is the type of information that is really educational

Quick Reply: Black A/C vents