Sponsored by:

New owner / sad deer killer

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 AM
Sctucker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner / sad deer killer

So, I finally made it to the Porsche club and had a blast the last couple of days driving from point of purchase outside of Des moines, Iowa but sadly tonight a deer jumped out in front of me on highway 87 just south of Great Falls, MT. Damage is somewhat minimal considering the circumstances, I was able to dodge and brake enough that the damage was kept to front right quarter, headlight, passenger door, and windshield. Very sad situation, I feel worse for the car than I do for myself.

Anyways, seeking knowledge from the pond here on how to proceed with repairs, I must return to work on a ship for 3 months on the 17th so I don't have much time to take care of this. I need to drive to Washington state from great falls and figure I need a windshield at minimum to do so legally, the fender just needs to be rolled out a bit to keep from rubbing on the tire until I am able to get good work done by a reputable shop.

Any clues on glass work in great falls so I don't have to do windshield twice?

Thanks and sorry!
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to make the best of it. Have the trophy mounted and place it on your living room wall along with the fender that helped bag him.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear this.
perhaps you can start here...
https://www.porschecollisioncenter.com

Best wishes...T
Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Try to make the best of it. Have the trophy mounted and place it on your living room wall along with the fender that helped bag him.
LOL That has me laughing.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:49 AM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
And be sure you have a valid hunting license
Old 07-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Time to throw a Beer 'N Deer Kegger..... yes, I am from Western PA.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 AM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Time to throw a Beer 'N Deer Kegger..... yes, I am from Western PA.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Better remember to invite the sheriff and game warden too. 'Course it was shot on your land. Definitely not on the Fed land. (I used to live in North Central.)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 PM
Sctucker
AutoX

Miraculously found some Chinese glass though a mobile glass guy, came and installed it the morning after collision and then a body shop rolled the fender out free of charge in about 5 minutes. Taking the car to haury's in Seattle to get things right. Not the best rig to haul a deer in, sorry folks.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sctucker
Miraculously found some Chinese glass though a mobile glass guy, came and installed it the morning after collision and then a body shop rolled the fender out free of charge in about 5 minutes. Taking the car to haury's in Seattle to get things right. Not the best rig to haul a deer in, sorry folks.
Awesome news. Hope the rest of your drive home is un-eventful...T
Old 07-17-2018, 09:16 PM
Sctucker
AutoX

Thanks tom, it was. Dropped the car off today and they reassured me they will fight geico for me to get it back in ship shape! Based on estimate conversation along I am confident that Haurys is going to do a great job.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM
geeky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks tom, it was. Dropped the car off today and they reassured me they will fight geico for me to get it back in ship shape! Based on estimate conversation along I am confident that Haurys is going to do a great job.
I would have suggested Queen City in Redmond. Only place I trust for any of my pcars.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Friend of mine hit a deer up north. Air bag went off. it still hadn't fully deflated yet.
Guy behind him was knocking on the window. "If you'r not goin to keep that, cani hav-it?"
He had the deer loaded in his pick up truck, before the tow truck arrived.

Glad your car is OK-ish. Any story you can tell is a good story.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:04 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Awesome news. Mine was hail damaged about 2 weeks after buying. These are tough cars, they'll keep you safe, and they can be fixed and enjoyed again. Hope you're tearing up the back roads - and not the wild life! - of the PNW in no time flat...T
Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Sctucker
AutoX

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Awesome news. Mine was hail damaged about 2 weeks after buying. These are tough cars, they'll keep you safe, and they can be fixed and enjoyed again. Hope you're tearing up the back roads - and not the wild life! - of the PNW in no time flat...T
Tore it up on the way to auto body shop, no regrets on the purchase. I am coming from an e46 330ci and the 997 has me totally blown away.

I am a marine engineer working tugboats in AK so the 997 will be looking fresh by the time i get back from my next hitch. Flying to the boat tomorrow and won't be back until November. At that point I have 5 months off unless I find a different boat to work on. My plan is to couch surf in the 997, drive from WA to CA and then head for new Orleans and take my time doing it! Super excited about my life decisions

Grateful for the pcommunity here on rennlist, really a joy to be a part of it now and appreciate all the sympathy, support, and advice. Y'all rule!

Follow my story on IG @tugmny
Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

^That sounds awesome. The New Orleans road trip part, not the 5 months in Alaska!
T

Quick Reply: New owner / sad deer killer