Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleed brakes or clutch slave only when installing new Slave and Master Cylinder????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:45 PM
99Slammed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bleed brakes or clutch slave only when installing new Slave and Master Cylinder????

Hey guys,

My shop while changing my clutch also put in a new master and slave cylinder. Driving the car after, my clutch was not the business (felt like an on/off switch - oem clutch). Told the guys at the shop they said bring it in because you might have air in the system. They told me they wouldn't charge me for the bleed. When I got there they wanted me to sign an estimate sheet that was charging me something like $140 for a brake bleed. I told them I thought I won't be charged. They told me if you want the brake system bled then we'll charge you but if it's just the slave cylinder then we wont since the air pocket is there.

I know the clutch and brake shares the same system so I told them the brakes and the clutch needed to be bled from day 1, they said no only the clutch slave does. They bled the clutch twice and literally said we don't know what's wrong with your clutch....

My guess is, there is air in the whole system because while changing the master cylinder the thing sits right under the brake reservoir right???
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

I think they need to bleed the clutch slave and then the brakes, and since air was introduced into the system, the brake bleed should probably include activation of the ABS pumps at all 4 wheels so after they do a regular bleed, they should do a second one with a Durametric or PIWIS system following the order of the 4 wheels in the system. At each wheel, they need to go to the computer and activate the ABS pump for a few seconds, then hit stop, then move to the next wheel and repeat. I think the sequence is different than what you'd normally follow for a brake bleed (working from the caliper furthest from the master cylinder to the one closest to it), but double-check me on that.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Real incompetent shop. After changing the clutch and bled the system leaving air in it and still would want to charge you to cover their ***. Perhaps its too late now after the fact, but makes you wonder what other mishaps might surface later due to their incompetence.

Quick Reply: Bleed brakes or clutch slave only when installing new Slave and Master Cylinder????