Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam from vents

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this too, a piece about 6"x6" came out the other day, I'm hoping that slows it down for a bit.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
My dash is black
That's what I figured. Unfortunately mine is sand beige, so black weatherstripping would look obvious. Removing the trim piece (to cover the louvers from the underside or stuff something in the plenum) is far less complicated than taking the dash apart, but still involves removing the A-pillar trim, which is why I've been stalling.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rawkkrawler
The cold air making it to the defroster vents tells me there may be a second "door" that could also be failing.
There are 3 sets of HVAC outlets (floor, dash, defroster) each of which can be selected separately, so unless the 997 is radically different from other cars out there in this respect, I would expect there to be 3 foam-sealed diverter flaps in the ductwork system controlled by stepping motors.

Every dealer and indie here I've spoken with seems well-acquainted with this problem. They say a lot has to do with how much the car has sat out in the sun. The foam in ones that get taken out of the garage on weekends seems to hold up much longer than on cars that are driven daily and parked outside a lot. Also, all these pros have been willing to fix it but advised against it because the foam spewing is self-limiting and they all said the AC cools just as well without the foam, because the majority of air is still diverted out the dash vents. What they said was was it would be more of a problem up north in the cold where the majority of heated air in winter would be in my face rather than at the floor or defrosting the windshield.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:05 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get little pieces of foam drop out frequently as well - figured I'll just let it run it's own course
Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 PM
rawkkrawler
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
There are 3 sets of HVAC outlets (floor, dash, defroster) each of which can be selected separately, so unless the 997 is radically different from other cars out there in this respect, I would expect there to be 3 foam-sealed diverter flaps in the ductwork system controlled by stepping motors.

Every dealer and indie here I've spoken with seems well-acquainted with this problem. They say a lot has to do with how much the car has sat out in the sun. The foam in ones that get taken out of the garage on weekends seems to hold up much longer than on cars that are driven daily and parked outside a lot. Also, all these pros have been willing to fix it but advised against it because the foam spewing is self-limiting and they all said the AC cools just as well without the foam, because the majority of air is still diverted out the dash vents. What they said was was it would be more of a problem up north in the cold where the majority of heated air in winter would be in my face rather than at the floor or defrosting the windshield.
Great point. In Florida our air, or AC, is diverted out of the center vents, and at 70 degrees i get what i normally get at a 72 degree setting in the 4 Runner. I can live with that. Haven't had the car in the Florida "winter" yet but with 32K miles for a 2007 I had assumed it had lived a more pampered life, Florida humidity wins again. I'll keep an eye on it and jump deeper into it if it becomes a more pressing issue. Plus I have black interior, those small pieces seem to blend right in.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Danespo
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Tampa and daily drove a 996.2 six years ago. The 996 started spitting foam from the vents at 100k and didn’t stop till 123k when I sold car. I like the AC cold and the fogged windows were a bummer. I did try rain-X to no avail. My current 2009 997.2 6 speed coupe spent its first 27k in Naples, FL and the last the last two years and 4K with me in Tampa. The 997 does not spit foam but at 31k now, never a daily.

Quick Reply: Foam from vents