Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use Bilstein B6 and a lowering spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:17 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes and they were not paying attention I guess. Going back on Fri. I like my SA there but so much gets lost in between that I ask for and what is written on the work order. I do not get it...

Last edited by ALEV8; 07-15-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:27 AM
Jason Hoesty
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi mate, bringing up old thread but how did you go with B6 and lowering springs?
Old 12-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 262 Posts

First off, we must define "lowering springs". Lowering a car by 30mm is a lot. 15 or 20mm on a base car just brings it into the area of S or sport. My story is (997.2 C2 base ) Tech-Art Eibach springs , B6 shocks and then Eibach swaybars. The springs lower the car by about 15 to 20mm. Everything works perfect! Having said that, the B6 shocks are actually longer than the stock ones in uncompressed state. This makes (at least for me) more difficult to install the rear ones since the new B6 are so stiff that getting them up over the hub carrier horn was a bear. The front ones were easy as they still swing out under the fender lip with no issue.
Bottom line- B6 works just fine like everybody says , unless your definition of "lowering" is a big number. Pic is of stock rear shock and new B6. The B8 would be for a big drop setup.
Get the B6 and be happy!

Old 12-18-2020, 07:14 PM
Jason Hoesty
3rd Gear

Thanks for the update. My concern is that I have H&R 25/40mm drop currently on my Audi Q3 small size suv (yes I came here lurking for answers), and they're currently equipped on Bilstein B4 OE replacements. Bilstein sell the B12 kit with B6 and Eibach mild lowering 25/25mm, but I want to use the H&R springs instead as I prefer the 40mm drop at the rear. Being an SUV it doesn't lower too crazy, right now there's still about a 3 finger gap on the front and rear opposed to 5 finger gap when it was stock.

They don't make B8 bilstein for my car, so the other option was Koni Yellow but not sure how I feel about adjusting the dampening every now and then.

The fact that the 40mm springs aren't bottoming out on the rear with the B4s and the car is somewhat still comfortable (bouncey at times on those uneven dip roads at high speeds), I assume the 40mm rear spring will be even better with the B6s?

Old 12-20-2020, 07:34 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Thread revival!

I do not miss the lowering springs and cannot stand the B6 struts STILL. If I keep this car it will get a custom set of Ohlins coilovers. Big hits aren’t terrible with my combo but washboard and repetitive bumps are just the worst on your spine. Add really light wheels to that and it’s bad.
Rebound is waaaaaayyyyy too fast so the car still pogo sticks over washboard bumps and undulating pavement. Potholes I can swerve and miss. Cornering is great still. Again, living in the suburbs over manicured pavement you’d never know how hard/fast the rebound is set on the B6. Highway and track driving is same. On the track these are a dream. Driving a 997 rally car over bad road it’s a nightmare unless you like spinal disc compression and losing your teeth. I’ve started thinking a 991 is the next option.

Last edited by ALEV8; 12-20-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Jason Hoesty
3rd Gear

Sorry to hear the experience didn't work out with the B6s and springs. I'm def not down for back problems, recently pulled a QL muscle and was out 3 days straight could not walk and with a 2 week recovery.

Just awaiting a reply from Bilstein if their B12 kit are B8 or B6's paired with Eibach 25/25 springs, once again for a audi q3 medium sized SUV so I'm assuming the design is going to be somewhat quality for comfort aswell as improved handling with a very mild height drop.

I could imagine lowering on a 997 as a daily with or not so great roads to drive on in general would be terrible.

So are you currently running B6's without lowering springs (stock springs only)?

Quick Reply: Anyone use Bilstein B6 and a lowering spring?