Sponsored by:

TPC Racing modified shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb TPC Racing modified shocks

It's been a while since I've made modifications to my 2011 Carrera 977.2 GTS... the car now has ~45,000 miles and it's my daily driver, gone to many Auto-X events plus raced at a lot of tracks in California.
Now's the time for an upgrade or two. I'm very interested in buying adjustable roll bars but found that the GTS w/PDK (special widebody) is difficult to source a rear adjustable bar that doesn't use / need a mounting adapter - except for TPC Racing who makes one that will directly install without the use of an adapter - YES!!
And like I said it's been awhile since I've made an upgrade so I'm thinking that along with the adjustable roll bars, and their necessary / required suspension links, I would also change / upgrade my aging stock shocks. TPC Racing, as it turns out, has a kit (977 Stage 3 Plus Suspension package) which contains everything to satisfy my NEED for more speed. The package includes what they're calling a "modification of the off-the-shelf Bilstien Damptronic Coilovers". These are able to work with my PASM unit so that's a real plus since I'm also using a DSC Sport V1 Control box .
Question ?? has anyone on the forum had any experience with these modified shocks? Or is willing to express an opinion?
DSC Sport also offers great shocks, the Tractive DDA damper, which uses both my PASM and their V1 Control Box but the cost is quite high.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Tractive is excellent choice but extremely expensive ($7k correctly me if I am wrong). If you want to keep PASM with DSC (very smart in my opinion for mixed street and track use) your choices also are: stock GT3 PASM coilovers for about $1-1.2 (I might be selling mine so you could reach out) or Bilstein coilovers for $2-2.4
Old 06-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacky
I'm very interested in buying adjustable roll bars but found that the GTS w/PDK (special widebody) is difficult to source a rear adjustable bar that doesn't use / need a mounting adapter - except for TPC Racing who makes one that will directly install without the use of an adapter - YES!!
TPC 997 rear bar does fit with 997.2/PDK rear crossmember; If the rear ride height is lowered 1" or more from stock ride height then TPC rear bar will even fit with stock rear drop links. If ride height is stock then adjustable rear drop links are required(they need to be adjusted shorter to fit for stock ride height).

I would also change / upgrade my aging stock shocks. TPC Racing, as it turns out, has a kit (977 Stage 3 Plus Suspension package) which contains everything to satisfy my NEED for more speed. The package includes what they're calling a "modification of the off-the-shelf Bilstien Damptronic Coilovers".
I am sorry to inform you that this product is unavailable, and outdated. This product will be deleted from the TPC website as soon as the admin gets a chance to do it. It was a very good product for the price and for its time, the prime years were 2008-2013 when we were buying new sets of B16 to modify. At that time period B16's were the only aftermarket electronic coilover. This was before DSC became widely available so any desired change in damping characteristic and stiffness were old fashioned spring rate change and/or re-valve. Since DSC became widely available the internal changes became pretty much obsolete. And since this was the only electronic coilover available at that time period it made sense to customize the spring rates/valving for the intended usage, and upgrade the top mounts from OEM rubber to monoball camber plates. But the available electronic damping technology has changed so much since 2013 to that by adding all these upgrades to a new set of B16 the cost becomes 80% of what a new set of Tractive DDA coilovers cost, which the Tractive DDA set includes monoball top plates, custom spring rates, and 17x faster reaction time, much wider dynamic damping range, and much higher build quality. I think modding a set of B16 would only make sense now if you already own a set on the car or off the car. Not sure if you are aware that B16's have been unavailable since last Fall. When B16's become available again my opinion is they still offer good performance for its price range.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:58 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Thanks for your informed reply Tom. Always good to know the latest.... too bad that the DSC Tractive coilovers are beyond my budget at this time.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:37 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Kisik, I'm intrigued with your OEM / stock GT3 PASM coilover idea - this is not something that I had considered... But fitment is a concern and also if they're used then reliability is important. Tell all ;>) about your desire to replace your set. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:39 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Kisik, I'm intrigued with your OEM / stock GT3 PASM coilover idea - this is not something that I had considered... But fitment is a concern and also if they're used then reliability is important. Tell all ;>) about your desire to replace your set. Thanks.

I was looking at this thread the other day that may be useful to you...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post12668451

Mike
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Jacky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I was looking at this thread the other day that may be useful to you...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post12668451

Mike
Mike, the thread discussion you've sent to me explains a lot about using GT3 PASM shocks on my 997.2 GTS - thank you for the much appreciated info!!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:10 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Yes, that thread is perfect tool for GT3 PASM conversion. Many thanks to Tom at TPC who was always open to share. All you need is set of adapters/spring hats ( I still have them from Tom), cable extensions (sourced from Bilstein # B4-XA1-Z004A00 for $22), and just sleeves (I am sure Tom still have some).
PASM shocks are very robust and don't require frequent service like JRZ and perfect for dual purpose track/street cars.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Here are what need it for GT3 PASM conversion:

Old 06-23-2018, 11:52 PM
Jacky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kisik
Here are what need it for GT3 PASM conversion:

Kisik - I'm wanting to move forward with using the GT3 coilovers (yours if avail) plus the hats & sleeves and the TPC sway bars etc. from TPC Racing (I'm already using the DSC Control box). But I'm having a hard time sourcing the necessary PASM extension cables....
Old 06-24-2018, 11:10 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Jacky, you can pm or email me ishikhatgmaildotcom. I tried pm you but you couldn't except it for some reasons.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

It is very neat(and advantageous to the car owners) that the suspension components on all 997-series cars are modular and mostly interchangeable; from the Carrera, to GT3, to RS 4.0, to GT3 Cup. I am very fortunate to work at a race car shop to have discovered first hand the interchangeability of the suspension parts over the production years of the 997. The handling performance of each particular 997 model(Carrera/C4/Turbo/GT3/GT2/RS/4.0) from the factory is regulated by the PASM controller commands, the shocks & springs config, top mounts, the sway bars, LCA's and front uprights. DSC Sport controller being fully active and programmable to personal preference by the user is the ultimate equalizer across all the 997 models. With the shocks, springs, top mounts, and uprights being modular and mostly interchangeable, the 997 platform is a suspension tuner's delight. For example, by using factory GTx shocks with either factory GTx springs or aftermarket linear-rate springs(such as from Eibach or Swift) and with some aftermarket support for sway bars, front & rear top mount kits, and sleeve, a 997 owner can customize the suspension to GT3 RS 4.0 level and beyond! Here at TPC Racing we developed and offer sway bars, toe links, top mount kits, and other hardware to fuel this market from street to track to competition. The 997 platform is a legit world class GT racing platform with stellar racing results. We love modding these cars and supporting the market with our race winning knowledge.

More info on interchangeability in this thread, in post #12-
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...amptonics.html

Here's a thread by a 997.1 GT3 owner converted to RS 4.0 suspension(which the factory RS 4.0 coilovers can easily be installed on any Carrera with my adapter sleeves)-
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...pension-4.html
Old 06-26-2018, 02:20 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kisik
Jacky, you can pm or email me ishikhatgmaildotcom. I tried pm you but you couldn't except it for some reasons.
OK I'll give you a direct eMail... and I've made changes to my permissions so perhaps the PM will now accept communications - give it a go.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:38 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Tom, looking forward to acquiring all necessary parts (incl adj front & rear GTS sway bars) to facilitate the proper use of GT3 shocks/coilovers on my 997.2 GTS cabrio from TPC Racing. At this time, I'm in touch with Kisik regarding his used GT3 kit and depending on availabilities I'll be filling out the equipment order with your companies' stuff. BTW - I'm already happily running a DSC Control box and wonder if I'll need to have it re-mapped?

Last edited by Jacky; 06-26-2018 at 02:49 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-26-2018, 01:40 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

I'm already happily running a DSC Control box and wonder if I'll need to have it re-mapped?
Run your current DSC map first. Let me know how it feels. If you end up wanting softer and stiffer let me know, I can help with remap.

Quick Reply: TPC Racing modified shocks