Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not going into gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 AM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I just changed my transmission fluid - I purchased the genuine Porsche manual transmission fluid from Suncoast. Curiously, since the fluid change, I have been having this issue shifting into first gear - this is the first time I have experienced this since purchasing the car a year ago.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:47 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Wow first i've heard of this, if you don't mind sharing were there symptoms? Any indicators?
It was a surprise to me as well when my Indy called and let me know. I was having the engine dropped for some other work so I inquired about having the clutch done at the same time since it would be parts-only cost. They inspected the trans and noticed it was shaking on the lift in idle. When the fluid was drained it was full of metal. In retrospect, there was quite a lot of vibration felt in the front seat at idle that totally went away with the trans swap.

Before I bought the car, I think it sat for a while and the seals must have dried out because once I started doing maintenance on it, I noticed a gear oil leak from the cardan shaft seal. Judging by the stains on the underbody panels it had been going on a long while and I bet the trans was dried out. I drained, filled with new PTX, and replaced the seal but I guess the damage was done. Couple months later is when the trans was replaced.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yea, I always wondered if there is some wear in my transmission dogs that is being masked by the PTX. Porsche fill is every 120K miles..... for my car, it appears to be about every 30K miles...and it really works. Was Porsche just way off? Did Asin use inferior metal in there? Who knows.... did anyone tear down a transmission with the first gear jam and actually look inside? Appears the 1st gear jam is pretty common and PTX appears to help most but not all with the issue. At least changing the fluid to PTX is way cheaper than gutting the transmission.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I've got about 15K miles on my PTX fill. Oddly it didn't do squat for the balky 1st issue when I first put it in, but when I got it back from the new engine, the problem happens much less often. At that time the DM flywheel and clutch release fork were replaced, so perhaps things are running truer/better-balanced than before. Or maybe the gearbox was properly torqued to the engine. Idk, just WAGs. I had 5 stick Bimmers over the years, all bought new, and all of them had the same issue with 1st. And those had the lever right over the trans, no long cables. I had several Toyotas, an RX-7, Volvo (FWD with cable linkage), and currently an '08 Corvette and none of them with this issue.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:21 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I've got about 15K miles on my PTX fill. Oddly it didn't do squat for the balky 1st issue when I first put it in, but when I got it back from the new engine, the problem happens much less often. At that time the DM flywheel and clutch release fork were replaced, so perhaps things are running truer/better-balanced than before. Or maybe the gearbox was properly torqued to the engine. Idk, just WAGs. I had 5 stick Bimmers over the years, all bought new, and all of them had the same issue with 1st. And those had the lever right over the trans, no long cables. I had several Toyotas, an RX-7, Volvo (FWD with cable linkage), and currently an '08 Corvette and none of them with this issue.
Also a WAG, but I believe the transmission in our cars is a "semi" dog box (because race car). It has a syncro on top of dog gears that have to mesh together. Similar to a motorcycle, once the transmission is stopped in a position where the dog gears won't mesh, it simply won't go into gear at all. Since a motorcycle (or real dog box in a race car, etc) doesn't have syncros at all, one must push the bike backward or forward to get it to engage. Because our cars do, you have to let the clutch out in nuetral to give the syncros another chance to get the dog gears to engage.

Having old gear oil or worse, the wrong gear oil in our trannies makes the syncros have to work harder (or in actuality, less hard) to get the dog gears sync'd. This is what makes the problem worse in those situations.

My .02
Old 06-20-2018, 04:38 PM
zdeckich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by palmpalm
So I just traded a 991 c2 for a 997.2 c4s cab and I couldn't be happier. I absolutely adore this car, even more than my first Porsche (a 987.1 Cayman S). Quite often if I am driving and put the car into neutral at a stop and then try to go into first I can't, it just won't go. If I then let up and depress the clutch pedal it will usually let me put it into gear. What in the world is going on and should I have a mechanic look at it? The car is CPO from Porsche so.....
If your at a red light and it wont go into gear, if you go to 2nd then first will it go into gear smoothly?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by E368
I'm not sure it's that uncommon for many manual transmissions to do this. Several ones I've had over the years would occasionally be hard to get back into first at a stop light. When it happens to me, I generally drop down to second, then first and it usually works. However, I also think it's probably a sign to change the oil.
Agreed. All of my manual performance cars over the last 30 years have been like this. Drop to a higher ratio gear (such as 2nd) then go back to first gear.
Never thought twice about it.

Quick Reply: not going into gear