not going into gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
Had the PTX replacement today at a Porsche dealer. She is shifting so much better now! Thanks guys
Are you sure they used PTX? Check your slip... it may say Delvac. Let us know... oh, and how much did they charge for parts and labor?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evo9
My 2010 c2s w/ 40K miles occasionally 'balks' going into 1st gear. What I've found that works from me, is to pull it down to 2nd gear, then it goes back into 1st gear with no issue.
Do you really want to do this all the time? Or worse, intermittently? It is only going to get worse.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-19-2018, 04:37 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Do you really want to do this all the time? Or worse, intermittently? It is only going to get worse.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce , are you suggesting that we do the PTX change now as opposed to waiting.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Yea, I always wondered if there is some wear in my transmission dogs that is being masked by the PTX. Porsche fill is every 120K miles..... for my car, it appears to be about every 30K miles...and it really works. Was Porsche just way off? Did Asin use inferior metal in there? Who knows.... did anyone tear down a transmission with the first gear jam and actually look inside? Appears the 1st gear jam is pretty common and PTX appears to help most but not all with the issue. At least changing the fluid to PTX is way cheaper than gutting the transmission.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
My 997.1 C4 suffered this issue early on when I first bought it. Changed the oil to PTX and it was essentially fixed. Unfortunately, not long after that my trans was replaced with a brand new box from Porsche. The new box, filled with PTX, also sometimes jams trying to go into first, but very rarely (once or twice in 3 months). So in my opinion, it's probably a characteristic of the Aisin box and we should probably be doing fluid flushes more often than the recommended 120k miles/10 year interval.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

FYI: On a whim, I just contacted GBox.... and asked them about the 1st gear jam... they gave me a short response that said "oil change interval should be every 36K miles". They didn't explain, just this. This interval fairly matches my experience getting the jam. Anywho....

Shekmark..... why do you want to drive around and be annoyed? There is a high probability you can make the issue just go away. For me, I can't stand stuff like this. It starts out as annoying, then it gets downright dangerous particularly when driving in that wonderland of genteel, kind, and patient citizens called "North Jersey". If you get just a horn after a red light, you are lucky.

http://www.gboxweb.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
My 997.1 C4 suffered this issue early on when I first bought it. Changed the oil to PTX and it was essentially fixed. Unfortunately, not long after that my trans was replaced with a brand new box from Porsche. The new box, filled with PTX, also sometimes jams trying to go into first, but very rarely (once or twice in 3 months). So in my opinion, it's probably a characteristic of the Aisin box and we should probably be doing fluid flushes more often than the recommended 120k miles/10 year interval.
What prompted Porsche to replace your gear box?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
What prompted Porsche to replace your gear box?
Worn synchros and bad output shaft bearing. It was replaced under Fidelity warranty.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow so all this talk about PDK and here we have a regular manual gearbox getting replaced...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

When sitting at idle and clutch out in neutral the clutch and mainshaft are spinning at 750 RPM. If you wait for light to turn green then try to quickly depress clutch and put into gear the synchros won't alllow it. The key is to push in the clutch then count to 3 before trying to put it in gear. This allows the clutch and mainshaft to slow down and allows engagement into 1st which is not spinning when car is stopped.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 PM
mikemessi
Racer

And the key to getting into first when coming to a stop sign is to slip it into 1st at about 3 or 4 mph just before you stop. That is the speed the car goes in 1st gear at 750 rpm (idle) and the clutch speed and mainshaft speed are synchronized.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 PM
mikemessi
Racer

And it's my understanding the throw out bearing on modern 911s are very robust and there is no harm sitting at a stoplight with car in 1st and clutch depressed. Your clutch should wear out way before the throw out bearing. And bearing typically gets replaced when clutch is.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Wow so all this talk about PDK and here we have a regular manual gearbox getting replaced...
And how many threads on this same subject? Seems like at a minimum a monthly topic. One not long ago that went on to 30 pages or something. Another current one going on as we speak: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...irst-gear.html
Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Yea, I always wondered if there is some wear in my transmission dogs that is being masked by the PTX. Porsche fill is every 120K miles..... for my car, it appears to be about every 30K miles...and it really works. Was Porsche just way off? Did Asin use inferior metal in there? Who knows.... did anyone tear down a transmission with the first gear jam and actually look inside? Appears the 1st gear jam is pretty common and PTX appears to help most but not all with the issue. At least changing the fluid to PTX is way cheaper than gutting the transmission.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I read somewhere that synchros on 1:st and 2:nd gear is made from brass on our 997:s and not steel as for all other gears. Maybe that is why we have issues with first and second? Helps with PTX but does not solve it 100% in my case. When transmission is warm it's 95% problem free now.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Worn synchros and bad output shaft bearing. It was replaced under Fidelity warranty.
Wow first i've heard of this, if you don't mind sharing were there symptoms? Any indicators?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI: On a whim, I just contacted GBox.... and asked them about the 1st gear jam... they gave me a short response that said "oil change interval should be every 36K miles". They didn't explain, just this. This interval fairly matches my experience getting the jam. Anywho....

Shekmark..... why do you want to drive around and be annoyed? There is a high probability you can make the issue just go away. For me, I can't stand stuff like this. It starts out as annoying, then it gets downright dangerous particularly when driving in that wonderland of genteel, kind, and patient citizens called "North Jersey". If you get just a horn after a red light, you are lucky.

http://www.gboxweb.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce, thankfully I am not in north Jersey. I think that should be a different state! LOL I'm in central, a little northeast of you, and it is a fair amount better here. This thread has prompted me to make an appointment and change to PTX. I have only been stuck out of first a handful of times but it is routinely sticky going in.

Quick Reply: not going into gear