Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:53 PM
9974S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my first Porsche tonight. A 2011 997.2 C4S. The car totally exceeds my expectations. I love the roar, and I even love the 31 mpg I got cruising at 65 mph. To me it’s everything I hoped for and more. I even have the sport plus 2 way seats. So comfortable! That’s just my opinion, but I really cant see wanting to part with this car.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Get that bad boy out on the track... That's a whole other level of excitement... If you can't fall in love with your 911 there, then you must be dead inside

2:30-6:30 should be enough to motivate ya

Old 06-20-2018, 12:40 AM
Rotor
Track Day

Haven't driven a Miata in years, but when I did I have to admit they are fun tossable cars. Cheap to own and easy maintenance etc is a valid sell. My issue is they lack horsepower. Can't compare a 997C2S to a Miata, two completely different cars. Since I am an adult child I need fast The 997 delivers at the track and through the twisties, but I have an E55 that shreds tires and accelerates at a truly frightening pace. Bottom line is drive what you like, only matters what makes you tick and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:36 AM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you need a S2000. I'd argue even more reliable than a Miata. Super cheap to maintain. Also faster/better in just about every way (except maybe cost). Only place I'd say it loses against the Miata is if you're comparing to the ND interior.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Get that bad boy out on the track... That's a whole other level of excitement... If you can't fall in love with your 911 there, then you must be dead inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDwbwPeqrnE
Yep, that is fun and some nice driving. Nice video ....
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer
Absolutely true. Those who have never taken a road such as the Angeles Crest Highway (Baldy Mountain Road, Glendora Mountain Road, etc) on a sport bike will never fully understand why P-car cabriolets are so much more fun than fixed rooves. Get in; smile; go; grin; repeat.
nah- I’ve been riding bikes for almost 20 years, but give me a coupe over a cab 100% of the time.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Woodypdx
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the lucky position to own both a Miata and a 911. The Miata is a 1999 NB model and I drove 50k Miles in it since I bought it in 2001, including one 2000 Miles road trip, also took it to the track several times and was a member of the Bay Area Miata Club. My 911 is a 2011 C4S PDK Cab, which I drove 4K Miles in since I got it last year in March, including one 500 Miles road trip, several auto-cross days and I am a Oregon PCA club member.

I love both cars. For casual and slightly inspired top-down driving, the Miata delivers 95% of the fun the 911 does, as long as you keep the little engine revving and use the wonderful gearbox frequently. In this driving range, the 911 shines with better power and sound, especially with PSE turned on, the amazing PDK, more space and a vastly more luxurious seating and cabin.

For inspired driving or auto-cross the 911 outpaces the Miata in driving fun, especially in Sport mode on trips or Sport-Plus at the auto-cross. Power, sound, stability, all are far above the Miata. Passing trucks on a single lane highway in a Miata requires a long stretch with good visibility, in the 911 it is effortless and safe.

Why do we keep both cars? The Miata is our go to car on a sunny day for short trips downtown or dinner, especially when parking is a concern. The 911 is the car we use for trips and any time parking is no concern, and of course for auto-cross.

My two recomnendations for the OP are:
- join the local Porsche club, great people, great trips and events and high exposure to the Porsche bug
- exchange your coupe for a cab

Heinz
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM
Blue997_1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks so much for the huge response! I'm trying to find someone local to hear the Fister mod before I commit, but I'm 80% sure I want to go forward with it just based on what I've heard and read online. Again, probably I'll give the 911 at least ~1-2 years and see how I feel about it. I think my feelings might change once I can drive my kid around in it with a front-facing child seat. The rear facing seat situation just seems a bit uncertain, but I may try and check out options in the future, once I can get to a store that has lots of options that I can physically bring to my car and check fitment.

Having both a Miata and 911 would be such a perfect solution, if only I had the parking space! A Miata doesn't cost much after all. S2000 also seems tempting, and I would be sure to test drive one if I eventually do decide to go back to a small roadster.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer
Absolutely true. Those who have never taken a road such as the Angeles Crest Highway (Baldy Mountain Road, Glendora Mountain Road, etc) on a sport bike will never fully understand why P-car cabriolets are so much more fun than fixed rooves. Get in; smile; go; grin; repeat.
I don’t ride sport bikes, but after owning a cabriolet, I’d struggle to go back to a coupe. The cabriolet experience with the top down can’t be matched by the coupe.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

OP: My daughter has loved riding in the "Porsche-car" since she was 2 or 3. I have an old, slow, 993 and driving around with her in the back seat is another joy.

Enjoy your car(s) - whatever they are) and your family, in good health!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That might be the best advertisement for PDK ever.

Unless this is 5:26 -
Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

fun fun fun. What intake and exhaust do you have? Sounds great

mike
Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Just read through this thread, so time to add my $0.02. I've never driven a Miata at length, though my friend's father had a second generation anniversary edition model from new, and I drove that around one afternoon. I did, however, own an AP1 Honda S2000 for seven years, which I also sold to help fund my 997.1 purchase. I did a lot of mods to the S2000, and it was an exciting and fun car - supercharged, big brakes, coil overs, etc etc - link in my signature if you want to see more. However, I felt I got 'too old' for it, and felt it was time to move on. I very much miss the shift feel, absolutely the best ever in my view. I also miss the relatively cheap maintenance costs, and the fact that I could do most of my maintenance on my own. I don't miss the negativity from other drivers. I was almost constantly harassed by pick-up truck drivers 'rolling coil'. Another time an R35 GTR driver felt it was necessary to launch from a light next to me. I'm like "really buddy, I get it, your car has about 3x of everything that my little car!". Also, it was loud with top down, and I got tired of that too.

I also fell in love with the 997 when it first came out, so acquiring one was also a dream come true. I believe I see that the OP is from Montreal, so 997 and S2000 prices are roughly comparable to my part of Canada (Edmonton). Maybe less pick up trucks in Montreal though lol. I mention this because the attraction of a 911 is that it is a four-seater, and my 6-year old daughter loves riding in it. Forever etched in my memory will be driving her to school all windows and sunroof open, and I glance back and she's got a look of pure joy on her face, her hair everywhere from the wind, just having a ball. Could not do that with S2000 or Miata. Point being, having a two-seater is great when you're younger/single/just you and your partner/older and have kids who don't rely on you for transportation/pure track car. But one reason I got into a 911 and one reason my wife let me do it is because one day, all four of us (our youngest is 17 months) can go out in it, maybe to dim sum or ice cream or the mountains. Can't beat that. Price is relevant here because whilst I dunno about the OP's financial situation, kids get expensive, so when I was able to buy my 997, I doubt I'd be able to do it again when my kids are still young. Buying a Miata or S2000 would be far easier, even though S2000 prices are creeping up, I think it's riding on the coattails of 90s Japanese sportscar prices, NSX, GTR, Supra, etc. I intend to keep mine for quite some time. For me, it was a case of almost 'buy it now or never'.

I went to a large local meet last month, brought my family too, though we didn't drive there in the 997 but our Land Rover (but again, one day we could all go in the 997). As we were leaving, an S2000 drove by with a young guy and his presumably girlfriend in the passenger seat. I turn to my wife, who's walking hand in hand with our 6 year old, and I've got our 17 month old under my other arm, and say to he "that was us a few years ago!". We both had a laugh.

I hope the OP can find some exhaust solutions for more noise (this is easy though) and the Bluetooth issue seems to be resolved now for you. I have a mObridge unit in my car, it was installed before I bought it. I get too that the car's limits are much higher than a Miata or S2000, but you know I felt that in the S2000 I would need to rev the hell out of it, and thus be screaming by other traffic, to get it going. Same sort of attention grabbing nature as a 911. Yes, parts and consumables are much more expensive, but you can also go hog wild with JDM parts too. Just have to be selective.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:23 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by ocgarza
Yep, that is fun and some nice driving. Nice video ....
Thanks! Appreciate that! It was a crazy 1st session, but a lot of fun...I am not there to set any lap records, but on a good day in the advanced drivers group on street tires I can hold my own pretty good. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
fun fun fun. What intake and exhaust do you have? Sounds great

mike
Yup!! I really enjoy going to the track a few times a year. I am just out there to have fun with friends and ring it out. The track is the only place you can safely explore 10/10ths and really get to know your 911's handling at the limits.

Intake setup is Ipd Competition Plenum, GT3 Throttle body, K&N 57-7000 intake (That is mostly what you hear in vid and I love it just for the sound alone). Fister exhaust mod is next on my list and coming soon.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:22 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks! Appreciate that! It was a crazy 1st session, but a lot of fun...I am not there to set any lap records, but on a good day in the advanced drivers group on street tires I can hold my own pretty good. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it

Yup!! I really enjoy going to the track a few times a year. I am just out there to have fun with friends and ring it out. The track is the only place you can safely explore 10/10ths and really get to know your 911's handling at the limits.

Intake setup is Ipd Competition Plenum, GT3 Throttle body, K&N 57-7000 intake (That is mostly what you hear in vid and I love it just for the sound alone). Fister exhaust mod is next on my list and coming soon.
It's official, well almost. At least all the important ducks have been lined up.

Now I can't afford my dream car (a 997 4.0L GT3 RS). It costs too much and they only made 600 of them. Oh and I can't even afford my dream car's back up (the 997 3.8L GT3 RS), nor can I afford my dream car's back up, back up (a 997 GT3). But on Saturday I will be picking up my dream car's back up, back up, back up (a 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S) and I hope I will be enamored with it. I am fearful I might not be 100% engaged with it on the public roads. But next year when a local race track is supposed to open after a 7 year absence of not having a track to play on, I am sure I will thoroughly enjoy my dream car's back up, back up, back up. Also, at least for the next little while I will also still own my 1997 993 C2 for those times when I want to drive a 911 on the public roads and trust me the 993 thoroughly enamors me. But if I do end up selling the 993 (as the logical side of my brain says I need to do because I do not want to carry significant debt for any length of time), I am not sure what I will be able to call myself here on Rennlist as it won't be my 993 C2 anymore. I really did not think the users name through clearly when I signed up. LOL

Anyway, I'll start a new thread and yes I will post pictures once I take possession of my dream car's back up, back up, back up.
(Yes it is a PDK ... d'oh ... hangs head in shame. But I do plan on equipping it with paddle shifters and that will be a blast to drive on the track)

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.