Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:14 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pick up a beater NA Miata for $2k-$3k and have the best of both worlds. That's what I did and couldn't be happier. Don't let a Miata fool you either, it is very user friendly. My wife said I'd have to make a couple trips to the dumpster when we were moving.... Challenge Accepted, made it in ONE

Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
It's official, well almost. At least all the important ducks have been lined up.

Now I can't afford my dream car (a 997 4.0L GT3 RS). It costs too much and they only made 600 of them. Oh and I can't even afford my dream car's back up (the 997 3.8L GT3 RS), nor can I afford my dream car's back up, back up (a 997 GT3). But on Saturday I will be picking up my dream car's back up, back up, back up (a 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S) and I hope I will be enamored with it. I am fearful I might not be 100% engaged with it on the public roads. But next year when a local race track is supposed to open after a 7 year absence of not having a track to play on, I am sure I will thoroughly enjoy my dream car's back up, back up, back up. Also, at least for the next little while I will also still own my 1997 993 C2 for those times when I want to drive a 911 on the public roads and trust me the 993 thoroughly enamors me. But if I do end up selling the 993 (as the logical side of my brain says I need to do because I do not want to carry significant debt for any length of time), I am not sure what I will be able to call myself here on Rennlist as it won't be my 993 C2 anymore. I really did not think the users name through clearly when I signed up. LOL

Anyway, I'll start a new thread and yes I will post pictures once I take possession of my dream car's back up, back up, back up.
(Yes it is a PDK ... d'oh ... hangs head in shame. But I do plan on equipping it with paddle shifters and that will be a blast to drive on the track)
You need to throw that "logical side" or your brain in the trash and keep your 1997 993 as well as your 997!

Keep the name as well. It's a badge of honor. I would love to add a 993 to the stable some day, but I am meticulous and ocd so the astronomical prices of the pristine examples I would want to buy are driving my "logical brain" crazy. The lack of garage space does not help either.
If you can swing it financially, then hold on to the 993. Although some think the market is softening on 993's, there is that chance that prices keep rising and then if you ever want to be in a 993 in the future it will cost you substantially more.

I think a big part of this thread is the idea of having remorse after selling a car you really enjoyed. Although some of our 997s are approaching 10 yrs old, or more, it still amazes me how high their capabilities still are compared to 95% of the new cars you are driving next to on public roads on any given day. It is true that you can quickly be going much faster than all the cars around you in no time and you are just scratching the surface of the fun zone. That's why the track is a great way to scratch that itch with cars that have such high limits and having another car with lower limits to have fun going half as fast around town is a great idea too. Best of both worlds as some one mentioned. No car does it all, but Porsche does come really close most of the time.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:34 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
Pick up a beater NA Miata for $2k-$3k and have the best of both worlds. That's what I did and couldn't be happier. Don't let a Miata fool you either, it is very user friendly. My wife said I'd have to make a couple trips to the dumpster when we were moving.... Challenge Accepted, made it in ONE

Impressive sir!

The na Miata in it's rawest forum, no power anything is an awesome driving experience - definitely agree with the sentiment.

My biggest regret - turning it into a racecar at which point I didn't want to drive it and then I ended up selling it because I was out of space.

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.