Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racetwin2

I have Gundo and Silicone intake/resonator delete and it makes a big difference. Gundo for exhaust sound and resonator delete for intake noise. It's really fantastic intake scream above 5000 rpm now.

This. I used to race Miatas and they are fantastic cars. But even in racing trim, they will never wail like a 911 with an opened up intake and exhaust. Even boosted at reasonable levels, they will never be fast.

There are few (if any) cars on the market like the 911. At its used price point (~less than 50k), Reliable, wails like an exotic, is truly fast, seats 3 in a pinch (and this is very important to daily usability), has sublime steering, handling and braking...and MANUAL transmission. Some cars tick off 2 or even 4 of these, but no other ticks all of them.

For me, the closest is an e46 BMW M3 (which series you get merely changes the levels and compromises to the above) .. Those are so close...and have a lot of other benefits too...
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

i bought a 997.1S and thought i'd love the car. didn't happen. on your standard days, the car was relatively boring due to it's high capabilities - for me. i'm now in, among other things, a 993 C4S - much better fit. bottom line is, the cars i like (964, 993, 6.2GT3) might be lower on power - not necessarily the GT3 - but they are far more raw and engaging. big shift in driving engagement in the later cars, imo.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
Oh god, this bugs the crap out of me. And did you ever notice there's no delay on unlock (when you are coming towards the car), and a huge delay when locking (when you are walking away)? This forces you to TURN AROUND AND LOOK to see if it locks.

Makes me want to find that product manager and throw punches.

Gunther, in electronics design, worked at Porsche for 24 years and always rides the train to work. Has never owned a car. Let's his wife drive the rental car while on holiday.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wanesso

how could you not love that gtr? Wouldn’t trade mine for a Ferrari— love that beast!
Haha - I even had a midpipe and a out of box tune on it. It was fun for the blistering speed and taking corners, but there were too many things missing for me to really justify its existence in my two parking spots in the urban jungle. Namely being that it didn't have the exterior style, interior quality, or general refinement that I was looking for in a semi-exotic car. Also, call me a badge w**** if you'd like, but there were times where I wished I had a Porsche key in my pocket rather than say I drove a Nissan.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue997_1
For the last two years I had a 2006 Miata which I loved, but my income rose quite a bit and I was on a good position to finally realize my childhood dream and bought a 997.1 Carrera 2 several months ago. I sold the Miata to help fund the purchase.

Now that the initial excitement of owning my dream car has worn off, I feel a little ambivalent about the Porsche. I miss the tossability and balance of the Miata, compared to the Porsche which is rear heavy but has massive grip. I miss putting the top down, and something about 911 Cabriolets never seemed to look right to me. I also miss the sheer unbreakability and cheapness of the Miata. I like to keep my money in my pocket, so I do kind of pine for the good old days of cheap tires, cheap parts, and easy DIY maintenance. Last but not least, the Porsche is so fast that it can be a bit tough to enjoy it on public roads. I want to hear that 6 cylinder sing, but I can't rev it out very much before I'm at "go directly to jail" speeds.

You've already talked yourself out of it. Cut the BS already, sell the 911 and get back a NC. I test drove the ND and loved it enough that I even considered purchasing one. I told the salesman that I wish they had a hardtop version in which he said to wait for the RF. Fast forward to now and I have a 997.1 and not a RF.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:41 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

How I got into p-cars, I was looking to get another motorcycle and my friend lent me a 997.1 6 speed. And we hit Angeles Crest and as I was getting used to it and started pushing in the corners I noticed a big *** grin on my face. The next time hey gave me a GT4 to play with and a realization hit me. I don’t have to leather up with full body armor, all I have to do is roll out of bed, check tire pressures and I’m off to the Crest? Sold a couple of bikes and purchased a base 997.2 from rennlist.

Im hooked and now doing my first track day
i still ride bikes by the way but I’m driving more and more

mike
Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXR750
How I got into p-cars, I was looking to get another motorcycle and my friend lent me a 997.1 6 speed. And we hit Angeles Crest and as I was getting used to it and started pushing in the corners I noticed a big *** grin on my face. The next time hey gave me a GT4 to play with and a realization hit me. I don’t have to leather up with full body armor, all I have to do is roll out of bed, check tire pressures and I’m off to the Crest? Sold a couple of bikes and purchased a base 997.2 from rennlist.

mike
Absolutely true. Those who have never taken a road such as the Angeles Crest Highway (Baldy Mountain Road, Glendora Mountain Road, etc) on a sport bike will never fully understand why P-car cabriolets are so much more fun than fixed rooves. Get in; smile; go; grin; repeat.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:16 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

In my view, nothing can replace a miata. But the joy from that is not the same joy as from a 911. I'll have one or two of each.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXR750

mike
Fair warning: once you do your first track day, you'll be hooked and suddenly ACH wont be that much fun.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:24 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

OP, you are not wrong to feel that way. I have a similar experience with S2000 to 911 to S2000, and now maybe another 911. Going to look at a 997 cab... I think this is the compromise I need even though I think 911 coupes look better than cabs.

The 911 is just so special, its easier to daily than the S2000, my kid and wife both fit.

But if a $10k used Miata will give you the same/better enjoinment than a $40k used Porsche, go back to it, just know that you might miss the 911 too.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:35 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

The 911 (aside from GT3/Turbo variants) isn't going to rock your world like more narrowly focused vehicles but it is the very best compromise. You can of course fine tune it more to your liking and narrow that focus a bit.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I had the same problem now I have three P cars and just added a fourth dedicated Track car.

First world problems.

Each offers a unique driving experience and each has pros and cons. All are fun.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

The worst thing about owning a Miata was getting picked on by everything else at stoplights!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
The worst thing about owning a Miata was getting picked on by everything else at stoplights!
Haha, ain't that the truth... Not only would Big Trucks want to race and almost win, but I got a few stories from the "nice" things people would say while I was just a passenger in my friends miata the first time out
Man, I thought Boxster drivers had it bad....Never did that again but I digress.... little convertible roadsters never get the respect they deserve
Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Blue997_1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the Tranzit Blu yesterday and that has already significantly increased my enjoyment of the car. I've made an appointment with Momentum Motorsports in Montreal to do the Fister mod, adding a bit of volume to the exhaust. I'm waffling a bit on the exhaust thing, since it's irreversible without buying a new exhaust, but everything I've read and heard has been very positive.

What you guys say about Miatas getting no respect is funny. I've never had anyone say anything bad about my Miata, actually the one comment anyone has ever made on the road was "you must have a huge *****!" at a stoplight 😂😂😂

At this point I think I will keep the 911 for at least a year or two. Two years is a magic point because my kiddo becomes old enough to ride in a front facing car seat! I definitely pine for the tossability and fun of my Miata, I'm going to give my dream car a good long try! Also I expended a lot of "wife points" convincing her to let me buy it, and I think she may kill me if I switch again so quickly.

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.