Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:02 AM
9974S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ogun228
Welcome to the Porsche world. No, they are not cheap to buy and even comparatively are very expensive to
own if you are maintenance obsessed. I feel you and even after a 4 year ownership of my 997.2 cab, I get
pissed at the money I throw at the car and mind you beside the fuel pump I have had absolutely no
breakdowns. Just regular maintenance and when I tabulate the cost of ownership over 4 years, I am appalled.
Now I'll also tell you that the smile on my face whenever I get into my C2S cab is from ear to ear and never
fades away. That to me is PRICELESS!!!!
i justified my purchase the same
’1. You live once

2. You can earn more money.

3. It IS a PORSCHE.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,413 Likes on 2,688 Posts

My advice is hang onto the car because it will come in handy when the newborn and marriage excitement wear off in about 2 years.
Nothing like a long spirited drive to get away from the wife and kid.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:19 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue997_1
Hey folks! I've wanted a 911 since I was a kid. The 997 came out when I was in high school and it always seemed like the perfect generation, because it finally got rid of the melted egg headlights and went back to traditional Porsche design cues in a modern package.

For the last two years I had a 2006 Miata which I loved, but my income rose quite a bit and I was on a good position to finally realize my childhood dream and bought a 997.1 Carrera 2 several months ago. I sold the Miata to help fund the purchase.

Now that the initial excitement of owning my dream car has worn off, I feel a little ambivalent about the Porsche. I miss the tossability and balance of the Miata, compared to the Porsche which is rear heavy but has massive grip. I miss putting the top down, and something about 911 Cabriolets never seemed to look right to me. I also miss the sheer unbreakability and cheapness of the Miata. I like to keep my money in my pocket, so I do kind of pine for the good old days of cheap tires, cheap parts, and easy DIY maintenance. Last but not least, the Porsche is so fast that it can be a bit tough to enjoy it on public roads. I want to hear that 6 cylinder sing, but I can't rev it out very much before I'm at "go directly to jail" speeds.

I also have a newborn kiddo (my first) so I don't get to go on a lot of long solitary drives in the car, and it truly feels like overkill trundling into town on date nights with my wife.

Did any of you guys have similar feelings? I'm sort of debating selling the car for hopefully a similar price to what I paid and looking for another Miata, or sticking with it a bit longer and see if I "bond" with the car more. I've also been debating the Fister mod, which might make the car more exciting to drive below the redline, but could affect resale value if I ultimately decide to sell anyways.

FYI, I have considered Boxsters, but for me once the top is down I don't really care about how fast I'm going, so in that sense the additional cost of a Boxster doesn't seem worth it.
I do not identify. If this is the case, you should probably sell it and move on. Or keep it and add a miata to your stable, but it sounds like it really just isn't the car for you.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:53 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 257 Posts

I went through something similar when I purchased my Lotus Elise SC. Now my Porsche feels heavier and less connected to the road. I tend to use my Lotus often while leaving my 997.2 sit in my garage for weeks.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I can identify with you. I had a '91 MR2 Turbo which I sold for a 996. The MR2 was solid, fun to drive, and cheap to fix. The 996 was so solid and planted that you have to drive way to fast on most public roads to give the same engagement as the MR2. Any remorse quickly went away when I first tracked the 996. It was so much more fun than anything I had done with the MR2. I autocrossed both and probably had more fun in the 911.

I also found the 911 more practical with a couple of kids. Yes, you should be able to fit a rear facing car seat for now and as the kid grows he/she will be able to ride safely in the back which you can't do in the miata.

I sold my 996 and thought about other options including two seaters like the ones mentioned here but ended up getting a 997.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:20 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
I do not identify. If this is the case, you should probably sell it and move on. Or keep it and add a miata to your stable, but it sounds like it really just isn't the car for you.
That's my thought too. Can't relate. He's comparing two cars that are miles apart in every aspect there is. If he likes the aspects of the Miata so much that he's even thinking about going back to one then that's probably the right move. To the OP......if you decide to give it some more time, start by modifying the exhaust where the car sounds the way it should without taking it to redline. Hundreds of threads here on that subject with a lot of options. Some very inexpensive. I've had after market exhausts or stock/after market combinations on all three 997's I've owned and you'll get really sweet tunes starting just above 3500 rpm's with the right parts..
Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Just curious, you guys who are baffled by the OP - have you ever owned a Miata or any type of light weight roadster? It really is a fantastic experience. Not that a 997 isn't a great car to drive, but it's a completely different thing than a lightweight, front engine rear drive roadster. Anyone own or owned both and prefer the 997? Why? Like the Miata better? Why?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Just curious, you guys who are baffled by the OP - have you ever owned a Miata or any type of light weight roadster? It really is a fantastic experience. Not that a 997 isn't a great car to drive, but it's a completely different thing than a lightweight, front engine rear drive roadster. Anyone own or owned both and prefer the 997? Why? Like the Miata better? Why?
Some buy 911s, but prefer their pickup trucks for daily duties or sell them and go back to luxo land yachts like Audi S6s because they are used to and prefer a quiet, comfortable ride.

Never owned a street Miata, but I have raced spec Miata, owned an Elise that had about $25k in upgrades and weight reductions, S2000 and sub 3k pound cars such as air cooled 911s, 355 and 360 CS, CGT and a slew of Cup and Challenge cars all of which are phenoms in the handling, feedback and fun categories.

I drove neighbor's new Miata because a neighbor told me I would love it and, well, I kind of faked a smile and tried to make the compliments sound sincere. The car is lacking in performance/limits and drives like . . . $20k car.

The issue may be more of a function of driver ability and comfort level. 911s are world class handling sports cars with refinement and everyday drivability. Miatas are budget sports cars that are great values for the money. Learn to tap into what a 911 has to offer and find some back road twisties to enjoy it.

I will say, nothing is better than top down fun in a 911 and almost all of my 911s these days are cabriolets. Forget how you think they look. It is all about the fun factor and having that world class performance, yet comfortable cruiser with the top down is the perfect combination.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:49 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I've never felt that way about my 911 (same as OP's - a an 05 C2, but with some excellent performance mods). In my case, the 911 was never my "dream car", so I never felt the pull for one. I've been a Porsche guy for longer than many, but it's always been the 928 for me. Still is, but since I acquired my 997, I now get it - especially after doing Watkins Glen last month - these cars are sublime!

I've had a Boxster and love it. I would think that there is no way a Miata could compare to the build quality and feel of a Boxster, but I could be wrong, not having driven a Miata. Anyway, swap the 911 out for a Boxster and see what you think.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:52 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s the thing, lighter cars are actually more enjoyable on the street as they are more fun to toss around shorter lower speed turns. Where heavier cars like the 911 come alive are the highway jug handles. I was feeling very similarly, and then yesterday drove through some sweeping long highway jughandles at speeds I won’t admit publicly, but let’s just say it put a huge smile on my face.

Having a family, I was limited to 4 seaters. If I didn’t have a family I’d drive 2 seaters all day.

BTW, I’ve driven some incredible cars both as an instructor and fortunate to have some close friends with tons of money.

The MOST fun I ever had on the street in a car was driving the new MX5, hands down! Lotus exige s240 and Elise were amazing too, as was my s2k when a street car, but something about that mx5 man, nothing like it!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Blue997_1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ttreat
I think I can identify with you. I had a '91 MR2 Turbo which I sold for a 996. The MR2 was solid, fun to drive, and cheap to fix. The 996 was so solid and planted that you have to drive way to fast on most public roads to give the same engagement as the MR2. Any remorse quickly went away when I first tracked the 996. It was so much more fun than anything I had done with the MR2. I autocrossed both and probably had more fun in the 911.

I also found the 911 more practical with a couple of kids. Yes, you should be able to fit a rear facing car seat for now and as the kid grows he/she will be able to ride safely in the back which you can't do in the miata.

I sold my 996 and thought about other options including two seaters like the ones mentioned here but ended up getting a 997.
Which rear facing seat did you find that fits the 997? I've found one guy on the forum who says the Chico Keyfit 30 seems to work, but the report was a little vague so I haven't pulled the trigger yet, and I don't have a brick and mortar store nearby to try it with. But that is a great point - if I can get my kiddo to fit in the car (and get my wife to agree to it) then that would significantly increase my enjoyment.

Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses! I didn't expect to get so many replies. To answer Uda880, I wouldn't really call this a case of buyer's remorse. I think when I bought a car that cost 4x what my Miata cost, I expected to get a significant amount of additional enjoyment. Obviously there are always diminishing returns with more expensive stuff, but the fact that it was my dream car since childhood just added to the excitement. Instead, what I'm realizing is that I enjoy the car... about the same as the Miata. At least that's how I feel now that the initial rush of the purchase was over. I suppose I'm realizing that I prefer throwing a car around bends in the city and small towns, and the rear engine heavy 911 just doesn't feel as enjoyable doing that type of driving. The 911 seems more in its element on the open road with long sweepers

I didn't test drive a ton of Porsche before I purchased the 911. I tested a 987.1 Cayman S (love the engine, didn't love the design), a 718 Cayman base (love the design, didn't love the engine), and this one. It was the first 911 I drove, and it passed PPI with no issues identified and was in great condition, one-owner, low miles, and seemed like a decent price, so I jumped on it.

I'm leaning towards keeping the 911 for a while longer and doing a few things to make it "mine" (planning on just the Fister mod and Tranzit Blu installation), to see if I bond with the car over the rest of the summer, rather than cutting my losses and go back to a Miata. If I keep the car for a year and sell it for a small loss that's not a big deal, even if I sell it for several thousand less than I paid, since I'd just consider it like I leased a 911 for a year. I don't necessarily mind the higher costs of Porsche stuff, but the difference is that it just doesn't feel like I'm getting that extra enjoyment out of the extra costs. I'd happily pay for unicorn tear washer fluid and engine oil made from a free-range well in Switzerland if it gave me a commensurate increase in fun!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My story is similar to yours - I was at a point in my life where I could get a fun car but my kids are 7 & 8 so I wanted a 4 seat sports car so the whole family could enjoy the car. I looked for a bit and pulled the trigger on an '05 C2. Great car and it's fun to drive but I was expecting "more". My daily car is an '07 335i, manual and sport package and I enjoy driving that car - it is far from slow and not boring. I also feel "comfortable" in the BMW while I'm still trying to find my way in my 911. The 911 is more fun to take on a spirited drive especially if you find some nice curvy roads and I need to fit more of those in but on a public road the limits are too high to have fun.

I won't add anything new here....I would enjoy it for a bit longer and then drive the Miata again. If the Miata still gives you that "feeling" and you don't get it from the 911, there is no shame in moving on. One problem I think is that there's too much built up hype. The 911 is an excellent car.....but there are other excellent cars.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot relate either unfortunately.

A 997 GT3 or GT3-RS is/was a dream car of mine since they came out. When I was able to afford a 911 financially, I found out that buying a low mileage C4 that came through my work was the car for me. Adding all the mods and the aero kit pieces has helped me get the looks of the car I've wanted for years. I've never looked back.

I've owned a lot of fast cars, driven some pretty insane fast cars. What I'm learning as I age is that the performance of a 300-400hp 911 is enough for me these days so it "fits" me well now. I've never owned a Miata, but I've driven several. Admittedly I dont fit in them well so the experience is automatically poor for me (im 6'4"). But they do give you something special, for a great price. I'm thinking you're not ready for the long haul of owning a 911 yet, maybe its time to look at getting back into a Miata. Maybe pick up another 911 down the road when you can have both?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

sell it. 911s are good cars, but they aren't for everyone and they aren't that much fun on the street because the limits are really too high to have fun. Lot of 911 owners talk about "twisties" and then you see them doing about 25mph down a great stretch of road and come back online and tell us how great the cars handle.

Doing a few mods to the car won't make you like it better. Sell it, pocket the cash, and find yourself another miata, or s2k or something. My base 986 is as much fun, if not more, than my 911 turbos on the average drive.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:37 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sell it. 911s are good cars, but they aren't for everyone and they aren't that much fun on the street because the limits are really too high to have fun. Lot of 911 owners talk about "twisties" and then you see them doing about 25mph down a great stretch of road and come back online and tell us how great the cars handle.

Doing a few mods to the car won't make you like it better. Sell it, pocket the cash, and find yourself another miata, or s2k or something. My base 986 is as much fun, if not more, than my 911 turbos on the average drive.

lol, its kind of like posting pics of your car at the "tale of the dragon" meanwhile the tale of the dragon is really a tourist attraction for buying tshirts and fake moonshine and driving in a line of cars at 25mph.

I can appreciate the feeling coming from a Miata to a 911 about not being able to use the limits though. I came from a couple cars that run low 11s though and I actually like how slow the 997s is comparatively as you can really wind it out without going to prison. Its all relative. A 997 is not a 2 seat sports car. Miatas are special. It wont replace it.

Mike

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.